Ergonomics Project: Headphone Comfort - Please Help!
Apr 21, 2009 at 10:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

PatrickT

Head-Fier
I know there have been threads on comfort in the past, but I am looking for some information that is a little more specific. Money is not a factor and I'm looking for comfort only. In this thread I am not concerned with sound quality. This is for a college ergonomics project, so any help is appreciated.

Which headphone that you have tried is THE most comfortable for you to wear? What would your perfect headphone be comprised of (based on comfort alone)? I am also interested in WHY that specific headphone is comfortable for you.

Weight? (heavy vs. light / strain on neck etc)
Cup pad material? (leather vs. velour vs. pleather, is material that breathes better? etc)
Clamping force? (are headphones too tight, too loose, etc)
Cup attachment setup? (AKG vs. Sennheiser etc..)
Degrees of freedom of the cups? (Is more or less better? How much?)
...and anything else that you'd like to add that I have forgotten...

The main thing is...what makes the most comfortable headphone comfortable? Specifics are key
smily_headphones1.gif

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks,
Patrick

Apr 21, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #2 of 14
IMO, clamping force is the main source of discomfort, assuming the headphone has all the basic amenities like adjustable headband, etc. Problem is, a closed headphone will need lots of clamping force ... hence why I find my SR80's more comfortable than my K271's.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:46 AM Post #3 of 14
I find almost all of them comfortable, but the K-1000 is my favorite. The adjustable temple pads make for a perfect fit and nothing touches your ears. Weight is good, as well.

Apr 22, 2009 at 12:57 AM Post #4 of 14
Stax SR-Lambda is the most comfortable for me. It's even more comfortable than the D2000. Lambda is very light and the pads are very comfortable. There's virtually no clamping force as the cups only gently sit on your head.

Apr 22, 2009 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 14
Most headphones have:

1) A gimbal or ball joint on the centre of the outside of the earcup which permits pivot to fit the users ears/head for on-ear/around-ear headphones respectively. (Yamaha HP-1)

or

2) An axial pivot which lets the earcups tilt horizontally. (Sennheiser HD202, Grados)

or

3) A fixed position relative to the assembly headband. Used in combination with a specific pad design in order to facilitate as much as possible that the transducer be in a fixed relationship to the ear within the design of the headphone (Stax SR-007, AKG1000)

In combination with

1) A manually adjustable vertical slider for the headband incorporated into a single headband. (Sennheiser HD600, Grados)

or

2) A manually adjusting double headband where the top of head pad is brought down toward the listeners head while the fixed band above exerts pressure to keep the cups in assembly. (Stax SR-Lambda & varients)

or

3) An automatically adjusting, sprung double band assembly where the sprung part makes contact with the top of the head and wearer position automatically moves it into place and the fixed assembly holds the cups at the correct position to exert comfortable pressure via the pads. (AKG K1000, Stax 4070)

Earpads are usually velour or plastic/pleather, or, rarely, real leather. The design decision on which material to use for an earpad should be made from a sonic standpoint not an aesthetic one as it is easy to make any of the materials comfortable and the pads have a big impact on the sound.

For my preferences, the most comfortable headphones I have tried are:

The Stax Omega 2 (although it takes time to get the fit "right" because you have to gradually bend the headband to what works best for your head).

Can't agree with the K1000, I get discomfort from that after 90 minutes or so, but I do have a larger-than-the-average head. (I have yet to be brave enough to "loosen" the headband arches to exert less pressure.)

The Lambda designs from Stax are also very comfortable, the 4070 with its Omega 2 inspired headband must be even better.

Sennheiser HE60. Very light, very comfy. Less pressure than the HD600/HD650.

In general, the weight of a headphone (unless extreme, and I would imagine that there are very few headphones which weigh more than about 500grams, although I can think of a few) isn't going to actually matter so long as the headband and pads are well designed to spread the weight. High clamping force is uncomfortable and can cause fatigue (and it is one of the many problems of headphones like the HD280).

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:08 AM Post #7 of 14
Key parts of ergonomics in headphones... ranked in what I believe is the most important...
  • the distribution of pressure around/on the ears: this is the most important factor due to the direct interface and easiest perceived sensation of comfort or discomfort.
  • the distribution of weight over the head: balance and stability of the whole unit over the head is the next major perceived comfort.
  • the obstruction of other normal functions: movement, sight lines, etc are probably the last thing you notice, but are still major factors in the comfort of the headphones

all those listed, I personally like more vintage units that give the earcups multiple axes of rotation and a wider headband that distributes the weight across a wider area of my head. Stability generally isn't sacrificed due to the fairly tight tolerances or locking mechanisms provided. I also prefer circumaural pads due to the fact it has a much better distribution of clamping forces over the head. Right now I'm using modded YH-100s and AT-701s. Both are using pads that allow for circumaural fit and are stable yet comfortable enough to wear for extended periods.

Apr 22, 2009 at 4:35 AM Post #8 of 14
For me, the headphone cannot touch the pinna at all. I guess I have sensitive ears in this regard. Weight can be light to medium; this is not such a problem for me. My favs are the AKG K-702s so far as comfort is concerned. Lightweight with very big ear cups.

Apr 22, 2009 at 9:57 PM Post #11 of 14
You've surely already got an exellent wellspring of information to work from in the provision of an explanation of how different design decisions work towards different modalities of comfortable fit?

What more is it that you want? Because if you just want people to post headphones they find comfortable, they'll just post the ones they own.

What more precisely is the end aim of this project?

Apr 22, 2009 at 10:21 PM Post #12 of 14
Audio-Technica ATH-AD700s and AKG K601s are the two comfiest I've tried so far. Both exert no pressure on your head, are very light and have soft materials for the pads (I believe velour for both). They are both open, so you get nice airflow. They both are ones where you pull them down to the right size and they go back to the smallest when you take them off.

Apr 23, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You've surely already got an exellent wellspring of information to work from in the provision of an explanation of how different design decisions work towards different modalities of comfortable fit?

What more is it that you want? Because if you just want people to post headphones they find comfortable, they'll just post the ones they own.

What more precisely is the end aim of this project?

I understand how headphones work and the different design principals used in them. What I am more concerned with is people's reactions to how those headphone design principals effect them.

For example, I have a pair of k501's and find them to be the most comfortable headphones that I have tried. I like the self adjusting headband which puts a minimal amount of pressure on the top of my head, I like the big earcups that completely engulf my ears, and I like the stiffness of the spring designed into the headband bars that put little pressure on the side of my head. Having said that, my friend DOES NOT like my k501's for some of the reasons that I like it. He feels that the headphones are too loose on his head and don't provide enough clamping force to keep them on properly when he is working at his desk. He finds a headphone with more clamping force to be more "comfortable". He also has about the same size head that I do.

So yes, people's personal accounts are important. Like I said, I understand how headphones work and have been around them for a while (all different kinds). I want to know what specific design principals do people feel are important to the overall comfort of a headphone.

I hope that helps.

Thanks,
Patrick

PS. Keep em coming
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 24, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #14 of 14
Comfort is highly personal as everyone has different shaped heads and ear sizes. I like the oval shape of the HD650 cups enclosing my ears, however the clamping force is too much. I found the D5000s to be a little loose, though I like the pleather pads. Heard the D7000s are a little tighter. Not crazy about the foam Grado pads. Currently, using the DT880 PRO and initially, did not like the round cups but got over it. The clamping force could be looser and the top band pressure starts to bite after extended wear. Based on my listening preferences, curious about testing the SA5000s, AD2000s, and the new Shure SRH840s with the memory foam pads.

From a design principle perspective, I wish more manufacturers offer customized options. Think beyer with their MANUFAKTUR service or Oakley with their Custom options. Of course, besides the cosmetic color and engraving options there should be base headband frames to build your own personal can based on your ear / head size dimensions, clamping pressure preferences, etc. For IEMs, you can visit your audiologist to get custom moulds of your ear canals. Is there any service for full-sized headphones? If not, whoever comes out with such a service can charge a premium, make a decent profit, and build a loyal following. Why can we order customized eyewear to accommodate different nose bridges or custom dress shirts online based on our torso, neck size, arm length measurements, but not headphones for our unique heads and ears?
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back