Ergo AMT/Amp2
Sep 24, 2008 at 4:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

earwicker7

Headphoneus Supremus
I just pulled the trigger on a purchase of the Ergo AMT headphones with the Amp2. Every review I've seen of the cans so far was with the Amp1; the reviews made them sound like they were really good, but not great, headphones; the reviewer almost always mentions that their opinion is that the Amp1 is hobbling the combo. However, after speaking with the people at Tricell (the Canadian vendor for Ergo) they were able to convince me that the Amp2 is a completely different ballgame. One of the employees says that the AMT/Amp2 combo, in his opinion, sounds better than both the Omega2 and the HE90. Granted, this could be a sales pitch, but it has me salivating.

I'll let you all know when it shows up on my doorstep in a couple of weeks.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:43 PM Post #2 of 12
awsome! i have been inches away from buying the ergo AMT many times,
and i have always wondered how the amp2 would stack up.

looking forward to your impressions.

Sep 24, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 12
I'll be here, yelling for pictures.
atsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 5:25 PM Post #4 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kees /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'll be here, yelling for pictures.
atsmile.gif

Right, like I'm going to let anyone see me with those Darth-Vader-helmet-looking things
jecklinsmile.gif

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:03 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by earwicker7 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
One of the employees says that the AMT/Amp2 combo, in his opinion, sounds better than both the Omega2 and the HE90.

a bold statement, for sure.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:35 PM Post #6 of 12
I had the occasion to listen to the ERGO AMT with AMP2 two months ago.
My Jecklin Float electrostats have been restaurated in Gering/germany by Quad Company wich sales the ERGOs in Germany.
When I went there to get my Jecklins back I was lucky to compare them with the ERGO.
The Ergo is a dynamic heaphone and it sounds like that, but different to other dynamic headphones. It's open air sound because of the construction (it's the successor of my Jecklins) makes you ask: Do you like it or not? I would say the sound is something for professionals: 100 percent natural nothing more - nothing less. You have many other heaphones with more bass, more --soundeffective--. This is not the world of the ERGO. And with a price in Germany of 2.300,--€ (ERGO AMT/AMP2) you must really like it.
In comparison, the sound of my Jecklin is more pure more "electrostatic". I would not change him for an ERGO.

Sep 24, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #7 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by jecklin_freak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I had the occasion to listen to the ERGO AMT with AMP2 two months ago.
My Jecklin Float electrostats have been restaurated in Gering/germany by Quad Company wich sales the ERGOs in Germany.
When I went there to get my Jecklins back I was lucky to compare them with the ERGO.
The Ergo is a dynamic heaphone and it sounds like that, but different to other dynamic headphones. It's open air sound because of the construction (it's the successor of my Jecklins) makes you ask: Do you like it or not? I would say the sound is something for professionals: 100 percent natural nothing more - nothing less. You have many other heaphones with more bass, more --soundeffective--. This is not the world of the ERGO. And with a price in Germany of 2.300,--€ (ERGO AMT/AMP2) you must really like it.
In comparison, the sound of my Jecklin is more pure more "electrostatic". I would not change him for an ERGO.

Ergo ATM is NOT a dynamic headphone. ATM = Air Motion Transformer and it's a very different approach to making a driver than dynamic or electrostatic. Take a look here: Air Motion Transformer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sep 24, 2008 at 8:25 PM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by vcoheda /img/forum/go_quote.gif
a bold statement, for sure.

I agree. Let's hope he was right!

He said that the strength was the details, that no headphones resolve quite like this combo. I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

They also look like the most comfortable headphones ever! Nothing touching the ears, so none of the constriction that most cans have. I'm just embarrassed to have anyone see me in them.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #10 of 12
If you do not provide complete details in your report I shall be forced to come over there myself. I bought a new pc instead of the Amp2 over the summer.

Sep 26, 2008 at 8:27 PM Post #11 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you do not provide complete details in your report I shall be forced to come over there myself. I bought a new pc instead of the Amp2 over the summer.

You bought a new pc instead of the amp2.
I really miss the stoic-smilie now.
I'm sure you get the point though.

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Duggeh /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Well, if you'll bring the TakeT, it might be worth whatever butt-whipping I might get
wink_face.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back