ER6is, A Fuller Sound?
Mar 9, 2006 at 5:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

coco

100+ Head-Fier
I have been searching around on how to punch-up the etys for a fuller sound. There are numerous options but no definitive answer. Cut down the triflange? Apparently they don't sit very well in the ear canal after. Use shure tips? Wouldn't that put them further back in the canal and thus reduce bass response? I think small biflanges might work at getting them farther in, but really how deep can they go? Anyone else have any luck? I am looking for a richer, fuller sound. Do tips really make that much of a difference or I am beating a dead horse? Thanks IEMers! Colin

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:04 PM Post #3 of 7
Choice 1: foamies as mentioned - many get a slight tingle or itch at around an hour into use per listening period.
Choice 2: amp - strongly suggest Xin - I'm happy with his Supermini with my Nano - he personally wears Ety and designs with them in mind.......also has bassboost in the amp. - if that is not enough you need to enter a basshead withdrawal program
smily_headphones1.gif

I tried, and tried the Shure tips and they did absolutely nothing for me. Some people feel they are more comfortable with them - but the sound, to me, was not near as good as the Ety tips (you do know, of course, that contacting Ety customer service can net you their tips in different sizes to try for better fit).

Mar 9, 2006 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 7
No need to cut the flanges. If you call up Etymotic, they will send you a pair of the large and small biflanges. Personally, I prefer the large biflange and find the triflange too uncomfortable in my ear.

The Etymotic ER-6i now come with three different pairs of flanges (one triflange and two biflanges) and one pair of foamies.

eggosmile.gif

Mar 9, 2006 at 7:43 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
Choice 2: amp - strongly suggest Xin - I'm happy with his Supermini with my Nano -

I'm second to this. I have a pair of ER4P and xin macro amp. The sound from the amp has more bass and better control in the high end.

Mar 10, 2006 at 1:46 AM Post #7 of 7
My Er-6's came with bi-flanges already on them. They burrowed far into the ear and provided excellent isolation -- I had to be gentle and patient taking them out. I've switched to the dark foamies -- it seems like the sound is a little fuller, but maybe my expectations have changed over time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back