ER6i...........
Sep 3, 2004 at 6:12 PM Post #16 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by terrymx
not even in hell the e2c can sound as good as the er6i. the highs for the er6i is pretty impressive for me.

I don't think you can say that with such surety. The combination of differences in temperature and altitude could affect both the drivers and the plastics used in the construction in ways you don't yet understand.

evil_smiley.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 6:41 PM Post #19 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
I don't think you can say that with such surety. The combination of differences in temperature and altitude could affect both the drivers and the plastics used in the construction in ways you don't yet understand.

evil_smiley.gif

LOL!!!!!
biggrin.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:43 PM Post #20 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spankypoo
The combination of differences in temperature and altitude could affect both the drivers and the plastics used in the construction in ways you don't yet understand.

evil_smiley.gif

You mean the altitude and temperature of Rochester?

Sep 3, 2004 at 7:49 PM Post #21 of 39
i have the e5s and just got the 6is. i have to think from all the descriptions i've heard that the e5s will not give you the highs you're looking for. i guess i should lay down some caveats first. i'm no audiophile. i haven't owned/listened to a whole line of 'phones. i think i'm subject to some kind of hearing peculiarity that caused the xin super dual to give me a headache. perhaps even worse, i got the 6is not out of intellectual curiosity or a desire to hear something better, but because i have small ears, small ear canals, can only wear the e5s so long before my ears hurt and needed something to wear while running the weed whacker!

that said, with a 3g ipod, there's no comparison between the e5s and the 6is if you want bass (i'm no basshead, though). using "kind of blue" as a comparison point, with the 5s there is a deep, reverberating bass line that i hear. with the 6is, i can hear the bass, but it's more in the background. on the other hand, on the 6is, i can hear the drummer's brushwork better, though it can sound muddy at times on both the e5s and 6is (could just be i need to encode differently, though). both sets of phones handle montserrat caballe hitting that high note in "casta diva" without that crackling sound i get with the apple ear buds and other cheapies i use while running errands. so far i find the overall sound of the 6is brassier (yup, that's brassier, not bassier), but not so metallic i want to clench my teeth. i think i would probably suffer from fatigue if i wore them too long. but will i keep them? yes. they will work for what i purchased them for.

i have a feeling for that perfect balance in an earphone some want, people may have to go for those iems being discussed at head-fi. on the other hand, isn't that why the head-fi password is "sorry about your wallet"?
tongue.gif

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:32 PM Post #22 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by erikzen
You mean the altitude and temperature of Rochester?

I think he means the place terrymx mentioned in his quote:
Quote:

not even in hell the e2c can sound as good as the er6i. the highs for the er6i is pretty impressive for me.

Sep 3, 2004 at 8:47 PM Post #23 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelongwood
I think he means the place terrymx mentioned in his quote:

Ah yes, silly me. Hence the use of the word yet.

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:01 PM Post #24 of 39
I know that I will hurt many headfiers' feelings but there are 4 facts IMHO:

1-If you pay more than $100 for a pair of earphones, you don't expect that you will have to use the buit in equalizer of the player to add something that you can't hear. I'd rather tu use it to tame a bit any frecuency that is too harsh.

2- I just bought a pair of Sony MDR EX71 and WOW!!!!!!! , these ones blow the ER6i out of the water. I plugged them to my Iriver and the difference was like a day and night. Everything was crisp and clear with the eq OFF !!!!
The bass was excellent, much better than the Etys, and the highs were also there. I wouldn't call them audiophile but they are good. The mids were very good also. The only drawback I heard listening to different types of music was with wind instruments, they sometimes sounded a little compressed and harsh, but anyway, that's when the eq takes its place, taming the 3 hertz frecuency (3db), and problem solved!!!!!!
Even my wife in a blind test comparing both earphones thought that the expensive earphones were the Sonys.............

3- The Etys cost approximately 140 bucks, the sonys only 39.

4- Now my only concern would be, should I get the Qualias???????http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...1411fe28dba921

Sep 3, 2004 at 10:10 PM Post #25 of 39
The fact that they have replaced the original (and very nice) metal tube with plastic, and that the earpieces come off and drop to the ground and/or stay in your ear (for that reason perhaps..?) is a little concerning. Cost reduction comes to mind...

The foamies on my ER6 stay on the metal tube very firmly, you have to wiggle tham quite a bit to get them off. Nice.

Sep 4, 2004 at 12:23 AM Post #26 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariowar
2- I just bought a pair of Sony MDR EX71 and WOW!!!!!!! , these ones blow the ER6i out of the water.

4- Now my only concern would be, should I get the Qualias???????http://www.audiocubes.com/product_in...1411fe28dba921

By all means go for it and report back to us. It can't be worst than the EX71.
biggrin.gif

Sep 4, 2004 at 1:52 AM Post #27 of 39
Well, I dare anyone to try any of the Iriver IFp players with the Sonys MDR EX71 earphones, the sinergy is unbeliavable. God, finally I don't have to turn the eq on with a pair of earphones. Listening to Peter Cincotti's cd is such a magical experience, wonderful bass, awesome vocals and top notch instrumentation!!!!

Sep 4, 2004 at 4:01 AM Post #28 of 39
Quote:

Originally Posted by mariowar
I really wanted to like them, I expected them for so long, but unfortunately my biggest fears were right. These in earphones have good bass, but this bass is at expense of the highs. The highs are rolled off and a little dull, the detail is missing. these in earphones are AWESOME.
I'm returning them.....I hope that I'll have better luck with the Shures E5c.......

I disagree. I don't find the highs rolled off at all. I listened to Joe Sample "hippies on the corner" and the piano rang bright and clean. Remember this is a portable "headphone" for a portable player. I don't think you could find a better can for the iPod. Plug it in and enjoy.

Sep 4, 2004 at 4:20 AM Post #30 of 39
Tomorrow, later today I will compare the 4P to the 6i. Be warned the iPod can be a "home" source with AIFF files or an awesome portable source. I know the 6is and iPod make be happy!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back