ER6i or E3c ? (I've readed ALL messages)
Mar 28, 2005 at 3:24 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

countach

100+ Head-Fier
Does somebody has tried both? I've readed tons of comments about Etymotic and Shure series (6i, 4P, E2c, E3c) and i cant decide.

The ER6i is cheaper than E3c, but Etymotic brand seems to be more 'puristic' than Shure's . Well, shure is great too.

I'm gonna use them in a portable MP3 player, and I listen mainly to electronic (Trance / Progressive) music.

So, what whould be better?

Thanks in advance !

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:04 PM Post #2 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach
Does somebody has tried both? I've readed tons of comments about Etymotic and Shure series (6i, 4P, E2c, E3c) and i cant decide.

The ER6i is cheaper than E3c, but Etymotic brand seems to be more 'puristic' than Shure's . Well, shure is great too.

I'm gonna use them in a portable MP3 player, and I listen mainly to electronic (Trance / Progressive) music.

Thanks in advance !

I don't know about the e3s or er6is, but i've heard representatives from both lines (e2, e5, er4p) and i would say that for electronic, shures are definitely the way to go -- they just groove a lot better than the etys. I've got e3s coming today, so i'll let you know how those fare. Actually, I think the e2s are *awesome* for grooving to trancey sort of stuff...since they're allegedly bassier than the e3s, it's possible they might be an even better choice. Again, I'll let you know in a bit.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:18 PM Post #3 of 26
if you are listening to anything that has fast or very intricate sections, i think the ER6i is the way to do. actually, i think the ER6i is the way to go regardless, as i think it is a better overall canalphone than the E3c. the E3c is good, but it's just kinda "blah", to me.

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:40 PM Post #4 of 26
Are looks important, or is it all about the sound?

I paid $99 for Future Sonics EM3 canals. Ugly to many, but to my ears an undeniably rich and complete sound.

Mar 28, 2005 at 4:51 PM Post #5 of 26
For (Trance / Progressive) music, I vote for e3c. The key is to get a good seal. E3c bass is more existent. 6i bass is tighter. E3c are easier to maneuver than the 6i. This is very important in the portable world.

Mar 28, 2005 at 5:27 PM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kin0kin
i thought both of them sounded bassless as many may have claimed?

Nope. It depends on the flanges you are using and the seal. In the 3c, bass is prominent enough with a little bit rolled off highs. In the 6i, bass is kind of lacking and tight when you get a good seal. Highs in the 6i are incredible detailed.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:03 PM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by countach

Thanks in advance !

Both the e3c and er6i are basically the same price. the er6i is about 10 dollars cheaper so that really isnt much of a point.

For the music you listen to i would go with the e3c if you need them soon, if not i would hold off on the purchase until the shure e4 comes out (in about 1-2 months?
confused.gif
hurry up shure.
wink.gif
). Its supposed to sound better than both of them and only be about 20 bucks more MSRP.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:11 PM Post #9 of 26
Instead of telling you about the sound of these (I haven't listened to the Shures), I will just give you my 2 cents.

1) I own the ER-6i and I regret it because I don't own an iPod and I don't want to look like I own an iPod.

2) The ER-6i do have rather thin cables (just like cheap headphones) and can feel cheap, although I honestly believe they are built with quality

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:18 PM Post #10 of 26
I own the e3c, and coming from EX71SL, I can say that I'm missing the bass. Either the Sony have spoiled me or I don't know what bass is, but I don't feel it.

Aside from that however the e3c are top notch. You either need burn-in or get used to them, because at first I regretted my purchase. The highs especially are very clear.

So I like them, but the lack of bass can't be ignored.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:27 PM Post #11 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Decel
I own the e3c, and coming from EX71SL, I can say that I'm missing the bass. Either the Sony have spoiled me or I don't know what bass is, but I don't feel it.

Aside from that however the e3c are top notch. You either need burn-in or get used to them, because at first I regretted my purchase. The highs especially are very clear.

So I like them, but the lack of bass can't be ignored.

Good bass is as tight as the e3c's but about half as powerfull as the ex71 but with more extention on both cans. Neither of the canal phones by shure or ety "burn in", you just get used to the sound. But even with the e3c being the more bassy of the two (er6i and e3c) i still felt very underwhelmed by the bass response and power. The bass is better than my mx450's by quite a bit, but not worth the 100 dollar difference.

Here's to hoping the e4's have some respectable bass thud and extention.
cool.gif

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:42 PM Post #12 of 26
In my opinion the Shure E3c wins the race. I have compared it with Ety ER-4Ps and Ety ER-6/i`s. The Ety ER-6/i earphones have NO bass (sorry Etymothic you simply forgot it) and thin sound.To the other hand theres a clear, detailed sound and good highs. The Ety ER4 (which my brother owens) have the same problems (ok a little bit more bass). If someone prefers classic, he should go for the Ety ER4Ps. But for Rock/Pop/Progressive/Trance there are the Shure E3c's the right choice (full, warm sound, more bass). To the ER-6/i i can only say: Kick it to hell!

Marco

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:43 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cyclone
Good bass is as tight as the e3c's but about half as powerfull as the ex71 but with more extention on both cans. Neither of the canal phones by shure or ety "burn in", you just get used to the sound. But even with the e3c being the more bassy of the two (er6i and e3c) i still felt very underwhelmed by the bass response and power. The bass is better than my mx450's by quite a bit, but not worth the 100 dollar difference.

Here's to hoping the e4's have some respectable bass thud and extention.
cool.gif

Ah, nice explanation. Yeah my sentiments go along the same line. In newbish terms, I didn't "feel" the bass where I thought it should be. Using it with an IRiver IMP-550 and even if I set it to "bass" or "metal", the bass still doesn't show up.

Edit: just to make sure no one gets confused, I'm comparing the e3c bass to the EX71SL, not the etys.

Mar 28, 2005 at 11:51 PM Post #14 of 26
I have the e3cs and i think that they are slightly veiled. If you want a crystal clear forward sound then the e3cs might not be good. I like the e3cs for its warm, non-fatiguing sound with plenty of detail.
The bass in the e3s is very good if you use your equalizer. Personally, I set mine to +7 and +7 in the lowest frequencies and the bass really comes through.
From what I've heard, if you want PORTABILITY and WARMNESS, get the e3c and if you want DETAIL and CLARITY get the er6i.
Just my opinions
tongue.gif

Mar 29, 2005 at 1:12 AM Post #15 of 26
to really simplify, I think you can generalize that if you listen to hard rock/metal music or rap/trance, you'll probably like the e3's more. (actually, if you are a real basshead, you will probably not like the e3's or any of the ety phones for rap/trance)

if you like classical/jazz/acoustic/maybe softer rock, you will probably like the ety's better.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back