ER6i just died, need new IEM
Jun 17, 2011 at 11:12 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

aliasfox

New Head-Fier
After nearly five years and four continents, and a trip through the wash, my ER6is have finally died. The cable next to the plug doesn't pass signal reliably, and I have to twist it around to get the right monitor to pass sound. It's fine for when I'm commuting to NPR, but it's maddening when I want to do music.

Anyway, I liked the fit and isolation that I got (more isolation would be better, to be honest- using the Ety aftermarket flanked), the sound is the most analytical of my equipment, which I liked, but a bit more bass and a better soundstage wouldn't hurt, as long as I don't have t give up that phenomenally quick and clear top end. I'm listening on my Sennheiser HD-497s (nearly eight years old - I tend to keep stuff a while), and they have a more full sound (stronger bass, more full soundstage). Can I get something with the mids and treble of the etymotics and the soundstage/presence of the Senns?

For reference, my equipment:
Etymotic ER6i (not enough bass or soundstage presence)
Sennheiser HD497 (not quite quick enough compared to the Etys)
B&W 804s on a McIntosh amp (fairly well balanced, but a bit on the warmer and laid back side)

I listen to most genres (classical, jazz, pop, hip hop, a little bit of other stuff), but I care most about orchestral classical and jazz when it comes to sound quality. Under $100 would be nice?

Jun 17, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #2 of 11
They're still probably fixable... I did exactly that to my friend's ER6i.

And you probably won't get the Ety clarity from anything other than an Ety. Maybe the Hifiman RE0. For a more laid back version with sweet mids, I like the Brainwavz M3. But there really isn't anything like an Ety under $100... That I've heard at least.

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:17 AM Post #4 of 11
Good excuse to get an ER-4 
etysmile.gif

Jun 18, 2011 at 12:27 AM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Good excuse to get an ER-4 
etysmile.gif

Or, you could stay in the Ety family and get the HF5.  It is 90% the sound of the $240 ER4 -- and on sale at Amazon.com now for $103.  Capable of more bass than the ER6i, and even more clarity. 

Jun 18, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #6 of 11
hmm i guess anything below the ER-4 won't be repaired/replaced out of warranty - but it is able to be used in the special purchase offer program where you can use the broken headphones to pay for part of a new pair of your choosing from etymotic research - http://www.etymotic.com/cs/outwarranty.html

it's worth looking into, and as mentioned above, the ER-4P is a pretty good upgrade - better if you have an amp and can get the ER-4S. the HF5 is a good side grade.

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:19 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
Quote:

Or, you could stay in the Ety family and get the HF5.  It is 90% the sound of the $240 ER4 -- and on sale at Amazon.com now for $103.  Capable of more bass than the ER6i, and even more clarity. 

I thought the ER-4 was an Ety IEM also... 
wink.gif
 But yes, the HF5 is a good choice if you don't want to go all out and get the ER-4 plus an amp (doesn't quite reach its full potential without one).

Jun 19, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #8 of 11
I recommend RE0 as a very good upgrade over ER6i with a more natural sound, even more detail and better soundstage.

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #9 of 11
Thanks guys. I'll look more closely at the RE0 and the HF5s. If I go non Ety (RE0), will I be able to use my stash of Ety foamies? For that matter, will I get the same kind of noise isolation? I ride the NYC subway every day, and the more noise isolation I can get, the better!

Jun 20, 2011 at 7:50 AM Post #10 of 11
You like Ety sound, need isolation and want to use your foamies stash. Buy Ety again, ER-4P and HF series will accept your foamies. ER-4P cable is replaceable. RE0 begs for amp and does not isolate well. RE-Zero is closer to Ety sound, plays well unamped, but isolation is poor comparing to Ety and foamies are not compatible.

Jun 20, 2011 at 10:25 AM Post #11 of 11
Actually, the new RE0 versions don't need an amp as much as the older ones IMO. I am not sure why that is, but the sound is just more controlled and dynamic straight out of my Clip than the old RE0 ever was. You do need to make sure that you are getting a good seal as RE0 is very sensitive to fit from my experience. With a good seal, it should sound just fine unamped, IMO of course. Isolation is indeed not ideal for the subway, but I do use my RE0 here on the Toronto subway with no issues. I guess it depends on how much detail you can tolerate losing. If you really want to hear most of your music well on a subway, Etys are definitely the best option though. However, I find that they also need an amp for best sound. Even ER4P sounds much smoother with an amp. Unamped, they are also adequate like RE0, but not ideal IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back