ER4S or ER-6???????
Dec 26, 2001 at 6:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

Gradoistcool

Head-Fier
hi everybody, i am going to get an iPod soon, but i want to know which earphones to get with them, i would use my grados or akg´s but those are kind of unportable, lol. Will the iPod´s amp be enough for the ER4S? Price is not an object, but portability is(in case you were going to recommend a stax omega 2 and a million watt backpack strapped-on power supply, lol) thank you everyone!!! also, which tips to use?? (for the ppl in Germany trying to get Etymotics, hang in there, my cousin in southern california is buying them for me and sending them to me, so don´t think i have some special connections or something to an audio store, hehehe)

Dec 26, 2001 at 6:42 AM Post #2 of 13
Quote:

? Price is not an object

reads profile...

I guess that's an understatement
eek.gif

Dec 26, 2001 at 6:50 AM Post #3 of 13
heya GIC! Nice to see you on these forums too! mostly just stuck to headwize, right?

Uh, i suggest get the ER4P's, and get the adaptor to change them to the ER4S....and spend some of that extra money of yours to get some custom earmolds.
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 26, 2001 at 6:52 AM Post #4 of 13
Well, if price is no object the 4s's sound better and offer more isolation, but the 6's are easier to drive then the 4s's. What about the 4p? It might be easier to drive then the 6's (Lower impedance, I don't know the sensitivity of either).

So my vote goes for the 4p's.

Dec 26, 2001 at 7:47 AM Post #6 of 13
It just doesn't make sense to get the 4S!!!
confused.gif

Get the 4P and the adapter!!! two headphones for the price of 1!! Even if you do carry around an amp with you everywhere, the adapter is useful as a 6 foot extension cable.

Dec 26, 2001 at 9:29 AM Post #7 of 13
gradoiscool, neither
wink.gif

Get the ER4P if price is no object. The ER4P is a better headphone than the ER6, PLUS it's easier to drive. The ER4S really aren't appropriate for the iPod, since they are designed for use with more power.

Dec 26, 2001 at 10:59 AM Post #8 of 13
i didn´t know they made an adaptor, oh and nice to see you too! ämmm, you are sure the ER4P would sound great with the iPod? I will spend the extra money on ER4S´s, no problem if they would sound better with it. The only home-non-grado headphone amp i have is the OBH-11
frown.gif

Dec 26, 2001 at 11:08 AM Post #9 of 13
i should also mention that i love to hear ALL kinds of music, but i am really into techno, trance, and rock.
smily_headphones1.gif
ALSO, on the etymotic website it says something about bringing the bass closer on the ER4P´s to the ER4S´s??? hhrrrmm.... anyways, i don´t want to pay the same money and get a suckier headphone, because that would, well, SUCK!

Dec 26, 2001 at 11:48 AM Post #10 of 13
Not really--why don't you buy the ER-4S, 4P and ER-6? Oh, and throw in the ER-20 earplugs too
biggrin.gif

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Dec 26, 2001 at 6:26 PM Post #11 of 13
GradoIsCool:

The ER4S is the "reference" model, but it cannot be driven by the iPod. The ER4P is the same model with less resistance in the cable, so it can easily be driven by a portable (e.g. iPod). The sound is very close, with a bit more bass (usually good for portables). If you buy the ER4P, you can get an adapter for $30-40 from people here on Head-Fi that will add the appropriate resistance to make it an ER4S when used with an amp.

The ER6 is the "lower" model -- it doesn't sound quite as good as the other two. In terms of driveability, it's somewhere in between the ER4P and ER4S.

Clearly the best for you, with no monetary worries
wink.gif
, is the ER4P.

Dec 29, 2001 at 6:42 PM Post #12 of 13
I use the iPod/Ety ER-4P combination and couldn't be more pleased. Also, I can't think of a situation where owning the ER-4S would be preferable to the P model, since converting is simply a matter of using a $20 adapter.

Like you, I'm not troubled by the price of my toys. Let me assure you that the iPod/ER-4P is a first rate choice.

Spad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back