ER4S highs + TF-10 bass = which custom IEM
Jan 31, 2012 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Greg_R

New Head-Fier
I've been headed down the path of reshelling my current TF-10s due to various fit problems.  However, I'd like to consider other IEMs if they offer better bass (more extension) than the TF-10s and the highs I get from my ER4S IEMs.  Before anyone jumps in, please note that the TF-10s with new foamies DO fit and I get great bass performance.  It's just that the foam does not last and prolonged listening sessions are not that comfortable.  However, I'm assuming that custom IEMs will resolve this issue, especially if I go with a soft-tip option.

So, are there any IEMs with great bass and ER4S-like treble for <$600?  Is there anything that comes close or should I just stick with reshelling the TF-10s?  1964 is in my backyard so I've been looking at their products (but would welcome user comments).  My listening tends toward an even mix of large orchestral works, metal, and electronic.

Thanks, I look forward to reading your opinions...

Feb 1, 2012 at 2:54 PM Post #4 of 12
Yea, agreed.  Jerry Harvey himself told me JH13 was closest thing in the line-up which resembled TF10 (which surprised me).  I figured it would have been JH7 or JH10X.  I found JH13 treble to be much more revealing than TF10.

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:06 PM Post #6 of 12
I have both the ER4S and TF10 as well as the Victor FX500. To be honest I find the TF10 all but un-listenable nowadays as I just find the whole presentation muddy and bloated. I have tried loads of different tips but to no avail. I too love the delivery of the ER4S but have been looking for something with a bit more bottom end that is clean unlike the TF10. I quite like my JVC Victors after I modded them by taking out the foam damping in the tube which made the bass similar to the TF10's, too bloated and muddy. I use them with comply tips and it works well but still not there.

So I have ordered the Final audio design Heaven S which should be here soon hopefully. It is single driver balanced armature driver like the ETY's but apparently has a bit more warmth and bass but detailed from what I have read which is what I am looking for. I am trying to get as near to the sound of my LCD2's in an iem!

I personally don't like customs and would never buy from JH Audio as I simply do not like their lack of business ethics due to the JH3 debacle so I would not go down that road. Apparently most customs need to be reshelled occasionally due to our ears changing shape as we age or lose weight and that is a costly thing not to mention have no earphones whilst they are being reshelled

I will let you know what I think of the Heavens when they get here!

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #7 of 12

Quote:
Isn't the JH13 $1100+ (i.e. 2x my budget)?  Are you suggesting that I need to be @ that tier to get what I'm looking for? 

Oops, sorry I just saw that.  Yes, as far as I am concerned, you would need to be over $1,000.

JH5 has equal amount of treble and more bass as TF10 if that helps (but not Ety detail).

Feb 1, 2012 at 3:07 PM Post #8 of 12
read average_joe's multi custom posts, there's a custom called thousand sound and it has a er4 sound with an enhanced bass and is around your price range. But personally I find my aud 5x really good, they outperform my sm3s and at <$600 they are also a great value.

Feb 1, 2012 at 6:22 PM Post #10 of 12
That's sort of funny, I think I just posted this in another thread asking about er4's with more bass.
You definitely might want to give the UM Aero's a shot, there's a review of them here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/510802/review-unique-melody-aero-custom-triple-driver-iem

Looking through the translucent shells, I can see the markings on the drivers. The 2 large low frequency units are both CI-22955 balanced armature drivers from Knowles Acoustics. The smaller high frequency driver is an ED-29689, also from Knowles. You may recognize these as they are used in many other IEMs: the ED driver is used as a full range unit in the classic Etymotic ER-4S, and the original LiveWires use the same configuration as the Aero with the exception of a single low end CI driver rather than 2. 

Feb 1, 2012 at 8:20 PM Post #11 of 12
Thousand Sound TS842 on joes custom review thread Ive been trying to decide where Im gonna go from here

Feb 1, 2012 at 9:39 PM Post #12 of 12
you should take alook at the heir audio 4a.  they are described as being the er4's with the bass they should have had.  the bass on the 4a is better than the tf10 in everyway from my memory of the tf10 last month.  they are a steal if they are still at their introductory price of 450.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back