er4p VS hd25-1 unamped portably?
Mar 11, 2006 at 7:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
not a review, just curious if anyone has heard them both, and what they prefer. if we could at all possibly keep preferences completely aside (i.e. comfort, iem Vs fullsize), what do you like unamped? personally it will be out of an ipod shuffle. in the end i'll probably go by my preference of iem or fullsize, but i'm wondering how they compare?

i'm thinking the hd25's have more bass, impact etc. and the er4p's are more analytical, perhaps more accurate.

are the ety's MUCH more isolating than the hd25? i think that will play a big part in my decision

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:31 PM Post #2 of 6
as an Ety and Senn HD25-1 owner I can tell you:
a) the HD25-1 will give you more and better bass without amp. b) yes, the Ety's will be more analytical.........the real differences are in real-life usage. For simplicity with Nano or Shuffle, my preference re small size, light weight and convenience is HD25-1. The Ety is the better choice if you are on a train or airplane (use foamies in that instance, or a better choice is to break down and get custom molds for your Ety's)..........another factor is the possible need to remove/replace (speaking to someone - answering a question, hearing an announcement, buying a newspaper, coffee, etc.) - then the HD25's will win hands-down. It actually becomes a matter of convenience, social acceptability (eg. moistening tips for re-insertion). Further, for good bass, a Xin (Supermicro) amp is to be recommended in conjunction with your Ety's- and it will also make Ety er-6i your iem of choice instead of the more expensive er-4

Mar 11, 2006 at 2:47 PM Post #3 of 6
Walking around with the Etys is a pain in the posterior, IMO.

I'm always playing with the cord, adjusting the clip, tucking the cables behind my ears so they don't rub, etc.

Talking to people is also out. Getting that perfect seal without any itchiness or discomfort means I'm not touching them. It also means I can't hear a damn thing.

Use the Senns. Great sound and convenient to remove if interaction is required. The isolation is fine for most environments. (Almost nothing compares to the Etys for isolation, so if it's really loud, that's your choice.)

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:02 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by BushGuy
as an Ety and Senn HD25-1 owner I can tell you:
a) the HD25-1 will give you more and better bass without amp. b) yes, the Ety's will be more analytical.........the real differences are in real-life usage. For simplicity with Nano or Shuffle, my preference re small size, light weight and convenience is HD25-1. The Ety is the better choice if you are on a train or airplane (use foamies in that instance, or a better choice is to break down and get custom molds for your Ety's)..........another factor is the possible need to remove/replace (speaking to someone - answering a question, hearing an announcement, buying a newspaper, coffee, etc.) - then the HD25's will win hands-down. It actually becomes a matter of convenience, social acceptability (eg. moistening tips for re-insertion). Further, for good bass, a Xin (Supermicro) amp is to be recommended in conjunction with your Ety's- and it will also make Ety er-6i your iem of choice instead of the more expensive er-4

very interesting thoughts. thank you. i have the er6i's, and am not terribly impressed; they are nice though. i don't need much bass; and am pretty set on avoiding a portable amp; just got a shweeeeet deal on a cheap ipod shuffle, and i want to go turbo-minimalistic.

i guess in the end it will come down to preference which of course makes sense.

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:09 PM Post #5 of 6
ety er-4s sound amazing out of anything. i have to shut down that guy claiming that hd25-1 has better bass which aren't even close. i'm not sure why you would even compare the two the senn is in such a lower level...

Mar 11, 2006 at 6:11 PM Post #6 of 6
i hope you won't take this the wrong way, but: you have listened to the hd25-1, right? (not the hd25sp). did the one you listened to have an upgraded cable? i'm leaning towards the ety's myself, but that's mainly cuz of convieience/preference

Users who are viewing this thread

Back