Er4p to four pole?
Aug 10, 2003 at 9:58 AM Post #2 of 21
What do you mean? The cable's already 4-pole, only the plug has just 3 poles. What's a dr7?

peacesign.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 10:03 AM Post #3 of 21
Sharp dr7 minidisc recorder/player. Takes advantage of four pole plugs. Im not sure what you mean that its already 4 pole. By that explanation, that would mean that most headphones are 4 pole, just without the 4 pole plug?

Aug 10, 2003 at 10:17 AM Post #4 of 21
The ER-4 cable consists of 4 conductors (that's not necessarily the case with all headphones), so all you have to do is replace the plug for your purpose. But what's actually the advantage of 4-pole plugs?

peacesign.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 10:24 AM Post #6 of 21
yes.

3 pole means the 2 grounds of the 2 channels are common.

Aug 10, 2003 at 10:57 AM Post #8 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by kessomatt
So, the whole cord would have to be changed right?

No! As mentioned, the Ety cable has four conductors, so you just have to replace the plug.

It's not the better channel separation (with only one amplifier channel operating there's absolute silence in the other channel even with common ground), but obviously the special amplifier technics in the Sharp recorder/player which brings the benefit from the 4-pole mode.

peacesign.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 21
basically the main wire that is connected to your plug contains 4 conductors. 1 left hot, 1 left ground, 1 right hot & 1 right ground.

the pairs of left and right wires seperate upstream along the cable to go to the individual earbuds, but the 2 ground wires are soldered to the same ground contact within the plug.

Aug 10, 2003 at 4:55 PM Post #10 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by adhoc

but the 2 ground wires are soldered to the same ground contact within the plug.

Actually, the common grounds are tied (white wire, if I recall) together at the series resistor pod and not at the plug.

So, it would have to be a half cord replacement.

Aug 10, 2003 at 7:14 PM Post #11 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by cscott23
Actually, the common grounds are tied (white wire, if I recall) together at the series resistor pod and not at the plug.

What are you talking about? What «resistor pod»? I have the original ER-4S cable with 4 continuous conductors and the serial resistors in the earpiece connectors. And I have a low-microphonic Fixup replacement cable with 4 continuous conductors and the resistors in the stereo plug.

peacesign.gif

Aug 10, 2003 at 8:19 PM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
What are you talking about? What «resistor pod»? I have the original ER-4S cable with 4 continuous conductors and the serial resistors in the earpiece connectors. And I have a low-microphonic Fixup replacement cable with 4 continuous conductors and the resistors in the stereo plug.

The resistor pod, for lack of of better term, is the clunky grey (ER4S) plastic cylinder that houses the series resistors. It is in that pod where the 4 electrodes reduces to three, as I stated above.

Jazz, unless yours is different than mine, the resistors are *not* in the ear piece.

If the OP is attempting to isolate the grounds of the two channels, cutting open the plug will be fruitless.

As far as the fix-up cord goes, Xin elegantly put the resistors in the plug. So, if the OP had one of these (note that they're not made anymore), then the task would be trivial.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back