ER4P finally bit the dust -- what now?
May 12, 2009 at 7:15 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

VicAjax

Headphoneus Supremus
My much-loved, 5-year-old
eek.gif
Ety ER4P has developed a short circuit in the left ear.

I've loved these so much that I haven't even considered up/side/down-grading from them. But now that they're gone, I suppose it's time to dive right back in and get a new pair of IEM... maybe try another flavor.

I've been perusing the forum after a long, long absence from the actual headphone pages, and I'm amazed at all the new options.

So... what shall I get in the $200-$300 range? Shure? Phonak? Westone? UE?

lemme have it.

etysmile.gif

May 12, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #3 of 17
i'm not a basshead... i like control and extension, but not boominess. the Shures i've listened to (a long time ago), were a bit rolled off on the top end, with overlush lower mids. is this still the Shure house sound, or have they evened out?

oh, and i have cried many a tear... especially on the 6 hour flight on which they broke.

May 12, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #5 of 17
if you could score the tf10's for less than $300, which I did a while back direct from Amazon, I'd give those a try. Very exciting-sounding iem's that dont roll off as much of the same treble found in the er4's as the se530's do.

May 12, 2009 at 7:28 PM Post #6 of 17
what's the word on the new Etymotic hf series, compared to the ER4?

May 12, 2009 at 7:33 PM Post #7 of 17
Unamped very close the the ER4-P, much better ergonomics and cable and can be had with a coupon code at checkout for $99 this months at amazon

May 12, 2009 at 7:39 PM Post #8 of 17
x2, if sticking w/ etys', definitely get the hf5's @ $99 before month's end. Only noticible difference to the er4's if you're REALLY paying attention (I had a hard time discerning the difference between the 2, and enjoyed the cabling on the hf5's better). Damn, now I miss my ety's...

May 12, 2009 at 8:13 PM Post #9 of 17
HF5 would be a great choice, if not I would recommend the IE7 as a great IEM.

May 12, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #11 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by joelk /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Since you love them, why not send them to Etymotic for repair? They tend to do this quite reasonably.

i was thinking about that... but the short is embedded in the Y-connector and probably tough to reach. and i figure i might as well at least explore my options... the ER4, as the first of the high-end IEMs (or close to it), is getting rather long in the tooth.

May 12, 2009 at 8:56 PM Post #12 of 17
Repair would likely be $50 for a new cable plus shipping cost both ways as Etymotics wil not sell parts but insist on reassembling the phones in house. Or you could get the APureSound replacement cable but that is a whole different price range, however if you really love your Er4 (as I do) it could be worth it.

May 12, 2009 at 11:11 PM Post #14 of 17
Another vote for getting the ER4P fixed. I'm on my third pair, but only because I lost the first two! The repair cost will be reasonable, and you can still research other products.

May 12, 2009 at 11:37 PM Post #15 of 17
If you're already madly in love with them, do what nc8000 advices.
The love will only grow deeper
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back