ER4P colour
Nov 9, 2007 at 5:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Bob_McBob

1000+ Head-Fier
Do these only come in black nowadays, or can you still get the red/green combo? They're black on Ety's site, and almost everywhere seems to sell the black ones now. Personally, I think they look terrible (about as bad as the black UM2s!). I'd love to get a new pair of the original colours.

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:14 AM Post #2 of 19
They are only available in black. I recently sent my Classic blue/red in and was returned the black
frown.gif
. Your best bet to get the classic is to pick up a used pair from someone here or maybe get lucky and get a new set of the old style on ebay.

Nov 9, 2007 at 10:37 AM Post #3 of 19
Yeah, it was so much easier to determine left/right with the colored versions. To do the same with my latest black model, you have to read a tiny "L" on the left driver - not the easiest thing for older eyes in poor light.

The good news is that they still sound terrific.

Nov 9, 2007 at 12:55 PM Post #4 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by jpelg /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, it was so much easier to determine left/right with the colored versions. To do the same with my latest black model, you have to read a tiny "L" on the left driver - not the easiest thing for older eyes in poor light.

Cosmetic issues aside, it's really not that difficult to see which driver is which. If you're holding the presumed left driver in your left hand, as if you were to insert it in your ear you should be able to see a letter. If you don't see a letter at all it's the right driver. And since you can feel the letter you can even do it in total darkness! Even a blind person can do it
wink.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:43 PM Post #6 of 19
you could always ask one of the guys in the DIY section to make you some cable with colors (shrink wraps comes in many colors
smily_headphones1.gif

Nov 9, 2007 at 3:47 PM Post #7 of 19
I was lucky enough to get a new red/blue w/ braided cable er4p from an amazon seller a few months ago.

I can't seem to find them now..

Nov 9, 2007 at 6:08 PM Post #10 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by CMasten /img/forum/go_quote.gif
just a drop of red nail polish on the R IEM and I have no issues knowing its R...

Great idea!

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1012007 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do the black ones come with a braided cable still or not?

Also what are the microphonics like on these?

My new black one is braided. Microphonics do seem better than my old-school units.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:29 AM Post #11 of 19
Mine came with the braided cable as well and it does help with microphonics a bit. Had i known i was going to get the all black version back i would have had my custom tips different colors so i could tell...oh well.

Nov 10, 2007 at 1:34 AM Post #12 of 19
The Etymotic rep posted not too long ago about plans to introduce L & R colour-coded lettering. I can't seem to find the post though.

EDIT: Nevermind. This is what the rep said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by d_wilson /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The current cable is black and has been for over a year. The impedance of the cables has not changed. We may add a red dot on the right side in the near future for color fans.

Nov 10, 2007 at 2:23 AM Post #13 of 19
I prefer the Red and Blue combo to that black...Black earphones are just too boring.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:56 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by yuchengxx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I prefer the Red and Blue combo to that black...Black earphones are just too boring.

I can deal with black earphones, but these don't look like they were meant to be black. It just looks like someone at the factory screwed up and they accidentally came out black. It's the same with the black UM2s, but at least you get a choice of colours there.

Nov 10, 2007 at 3:04 PM Post #15 of 19
I bought a pair of red/blue er4-Ps from leandro5177 on ebay 6 weeks ago. They were unused (for 90 pounds / US$185). So it seems you can still find some.

I had not realized etymotic had changed their layout BTW.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back