er4p: best iem unamped/<$200?
Dec 11, 2009 at 7:29 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

unseen

100+ Head-Fier
new to iems. always been against them but just don't find music enjoyable on the move with the outside noise. have an ipod touch 3g on the way and am ready to do give them a whirl. sort've tough working through all the ie8/530/um3 and triple fi 10 talk as of late. re0's and ie7's were considered but seem they don't isolate as much as it seems i need. any other ideas here?

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:51 AM Post #2 of 14
how much isolation do u need? ive used re0 on the nyc subways/buses as well as walking around with lots of people on the streets. it isolates more than enough for me.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:58 AM Post #3 of 14
The Klipsch Image X5 would be a good bet. Isolation is excellent (as it's a deep insertion type of IEM), and it doesn't need amplification to sound great. They go for around $170 retail in my country.

Dec 11, 2009 at 8:00 AM Post #4 of 14
re0 at $80 can't be beat at value standpoint, and even when comparing the er4p to the re0, it is very close with some having the re0 edging ahead in the end. now compared to the er4s, the re0s fall just a tad bit short, but not by much... but the er4s is in no ways usable without an amp. the re0s isolate fine enough for me when on the T in boston.

the se530 and ie8 can't be had for under $200. you can likely buy the tf10 for under $200 off ebay or the FS forum, while isolation is good, it is only good if you can get a good fit, which is pretty hard to do.

Dec 11, 2009 at 11:26 AM Post #5 of 14
Before the TFP10 deal I might agree. Many would say it does every single criteria better than any IEM in it's price range except perhaps for the bass which is on the light side.

Dec 11, 2009 at 12:06 PM Post #6 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how much isolation do u need? ive used re0 on the nyc subways/buses as well as walking around with lots of people on the streets. it isolates more than enough for me.

I disagree. In the subway my RE0 provides little isolation, to the point music has no bass.

My Shure tips isolates so much more, but it still cannot completely isolate subway noise. The problem is because low frequency travels through these tips very easily.

Or maybe I just listen too quietly.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by chengbin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I disagree. In the subway my RE0 provides little isolation, to the point music has no bass.

My Shure tips isolates so much more, but it still cannot completely isolate subway noise. The problem is because low frequency travels through these tips very easily.

Or maybe I just listen too quietly.

maybe its ur fit or both? i use the olives on them and the player is at like 40/50 but not as loud as u think it may be since i control the volume with the amp that i use.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:42 PM Post #9 of 14
I haven't heard the ER4 yet, but I read "unamped IEM <$200" and thought, without hesitation: Atrios.

I have reason to believe, however, that they are very different phones.

Dec 11, 2009 at 5:45 PM Post #10 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by rawrster /img/forum/go_quote.gif
maybe its ur fit or both? i use the olives on them and the player is at like 40/50 but not as loud as u think it may be since i control the volume with the amp that i use.

My fit is fine. The RE0 tips just don't isolate that well. The Shure tips are much better, but they still don't do much to block low frequency sounds (jet engine, subway train, etc).

Be careful when you use Shure tips. My right ear got shocked by my RE0 because the Shure's small tips don't cover the entire nozzle.

Dec 11, 2009 at 6:49 PM Post #11 of 14
ER4p is definitely one of the best IEMs in their price range. Triple.fi, if you can get one for under $200, is also one of the best, but Etys are more accurate and more precise and do isolate better. I say go with Etymotics first and sell them if you don't like them.

Dec 11, 2009 at 7:17 PM Post #12 of 14
Quote:

Originally Posted by EraserXIV /img/forum/go_quote.gif
re0 at $80 can't be beat at value standpoint, and even when comparing the er4p to the re0, it is very close with some having the re0 edging ahead in the end. now compared to the er4s, the re0s fall just a tad bit short, but not by much... but the er4s is in no ways usable without an amp. the re0s isolate fine enough for me when on the T in boston.

the se530 and ie8 can't be had for under $200. you can likely buy the tf10 for under $200 off ebay or the FS forum, while isolation is good, it is only good if you can get a good fit, which is pretty hard to do.

Just to offer a competing opinion, the er4s is better than the RE0 hands down. It may not be 2x better as the price would need for price/performance parity, but to me there is no mistaking one for the other. The ety has better detail, is noticeably quicker and has a better, more airy feel to it (that last one may be preference). The RE0 is better performance/$, but the ety is better performance overall. And as I said it is not 2x, but it is also not "a tad but short", either. A bit more than a tad, perhaps. 3 tads?

-Nkk

EDIT: I confused s an p. Everywhere above where it says er4s, I mean er4p.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back