ER4-P vs SA6 vs q-Jays! Comparison and impression Review (Very Lengthy)
Apr 14, 2008 at 5:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

JoyEnergizer

100+ Head-Fier
I have been swapping between q-Jays and SA6 for all weekend and my girl friend was very mad at me for ignoring her all the time when she was trying talk to me.
eek.gif

Anyway, it came to the point that I should give out some comparison and impressions that I promised.
biggrin.gif

First of all, this is my first review of my life, not only that, English is not my choice of first language, so please be generous with me,
wink.gif
even though you get annoyed by my poor description. Proof-readers or/and wanna be English teachers can press <-- “back” button of your browser so you don’t have to get bothered by my ignorant English.

Sources: Desktop with Audizy 2 ZS soundcard, Sansa Clip 4GB and IPOD Classic 80gb 5.5Gen, no amp.

I only used mp3 that compressed by 320kbps, VBR 320kbps and FLAC.

Genres that I mostly listened are house (Miguel Migs, Mark Farina, Deep Dish), Trance (Armin van Buuren, PVD, Paul Oakenfold), Hip Hop and Old masterpiece of Classics.

Comfort: q-Jays are definitely winner here.
biggrin.gif
They are so small and tiny compared to SA6. Since Jays are staying near towards inside of ear canals, you can even lay by side without any discomfort, so you can even sleep with them! Even though SA6 are very comfortable compared to other IEMs, they are still sticking out of ears and you cannot lie down on your bed by facing side. SA6 is like ER4-P in structure so it has more length from its tip to the cable. When it comes to tips, I find SA6's bi-flanges are very irritating to me compare to Jays's silicon tips. I use q-Jays foam tip on both SA6 and q-Jays for better comfort (no irritating so far) and perfect isolation. If you have very small ear canals, Foamies are way to go.

Accessories: q-Jays wins by big margin here too. You can easily find out what's in the package on the web or here in Head-fi forum, but for your convenience, Click Jays --->here for q-jays accessories included in the package. You can check here --> techPowerUp :: Sleek-Audio SA6 Earphones Review :: Page 2 / 5 for SA6 packages. For the price difference between those two (about $65USD difference in MSRP), I can say q-jays are more generous in accessory for their customers.

Sonic signature and Sound quality

Treble department: I think there are very noticeable (to my ears) difference in this department by Sonic signature/timbre, not by the quality of sound.

Apparently, q-Jays have very fast and precise response, and have more extensions with super energy in treble department compared to SA6. Even though I use treble++ port with SA6, it was obvious that I can easily pick out and separate snare of drums and high pitch of violins compared to SA6. The only downfall in the treble area for q-Jays are too much of extension into the higher frequencies, so that I can hear more instrument than vocals, and not only that but also, It's somewhat fatiguing to my ears at higher volume.
Depend on your source of audio, q-Jays might sound synthesized sometimes and not natural when you listen to poorly mastered recording, heavily compressed audio files.

SA6 have more balanced, natural (not fatiguing at all), smooth and airy treble. Even with Treble++ port, SA6 have no sibilance or fatiguing sound at all compared to q-jays.

Many people said that q-Jays are balanced, but IMHO, they are emphasized in treble department compare to mid or low frequency area. q-Jays definitely have more energy/quantity in treble department than SA6 or ER4-P. SQ might be too subjective category but I prefer ER-4P and SA6 over q-Jays for natural, non-fatiguing and smooth treble.

Mid department: This area is biggest difference between those two. I thought q-Jays’ mids are natural and articulate, but comparing SA6 and ER4-P, vocals are little recessed and farther from you than SA6 or ER4-P. It’s like you are standing farther from the singer because of high frequencies are more pronounced than mid. But nothing is missing or overly distant as it sounds from q-Jays. On the other hand, SA6 is very forward and pronounced in mid area. Vocal are very natural, articulate, airy and realistic. Melodies of music are more pronounced than q-jays.
This is what made me think, “Oh this is what I was missing from q-Jays!!”
I really like the breathtaking detail of q-Jays, however SA6 sounds more natural to me because of the sweet, pronounced and clear mid that SA6 has.
Unlike q-Jays, mid and trebles of SA6 are very well-balanced, not overpowering any of other spectrum, making great harmony like ER-4P.

Bass department: Some people said SA6 are lacking in Bass department, but I totally and strongly DISAGREE with them. (It’s MY opinions, and they are my ears, so don’t throw rocks at me.)
Genre that I enjoy mostly everyday are house, trance, electronica and Hip Hop. These genres that I listed need good and adequate quantity of bass.
If I have to talk about quantities of bass SA6 produce, they are perfect when I use Bass+ port. (Even though more bass wouldn’t hurt like other said and I am waiting for Bass++ port too.)

Quantity of bass between q-jays and SA6 with +port is about same. However, difference comes in signature of bass they produce.
q-Jays bass are punchy and tight, but it’s like a jab so they hit and gone. It has deep impact and weight, but they disappear very quickly. q-Jays bass is very good and accurate, but very analytic like its treble.
SA6’s bass is very realistic and echoing. It’s like you are in a small concert hall. They make music to its fuller, true sounding than q-Jays.
I prefer SA6’s reverbing, echoing, fuller, warmer and life-like bass compared to q-Jays.

Soundstage: SA6 is definite winner here by big margin. Airy timbre of SA6 creates vey wide soundstage for IEM. Q-Jays are very boxy and closed sounding compare to SA6. They are more in-the-head, and you can feel the music is around your face/head area. q-Jays soundstage is not bad at all comparing with other IEM like low-line of Shure and ER-4P, but extraordinary soundstage of SA6 makes them sound like stuffy.

Conclusion:

Brief conclusion here,

Treble:
q-Jays>ER-4P>SA6 with treble ++ port (in quantity and emphasis)
ER-4P=SA6>q-Jays (subjective quality that I prefer)

Mid:
ER-4P=SA6>q-Jays (quality and emphasis among other spectrum)

Bass:
SA6 with Bass+ port=q-Jays>ER4P (in quantity)
SA6 with Bass+ port>q-Jays>ER4P (quality and emphasis among other spectrum)

Soundstage/ Spatial Signature:
SA6>q-Jays≥ER4-P

I wasn't expecting that my review/comparison was going to be this lengthy. Thank you very much for reading this far.

First of all, I was very surprised and impressed by SA6's performance since they are single driver.

Well….. I really liked the q-Jays after I install the new foamies, but Money-sucking Leech Head-fiers (no offense) from SA6 thread made me very curious about SA6.

I thought that I will just A-B them and return SA6 if I don’t like them, but I’m stuck in this dilemma!

Even though I was beating up my beloved q-Jays over SA6 in SQ, (yes it feels really bad), q-Jays are very well-made earphones. My review is very personal and subjective, so your mileage might be vary.

I know everybody listen differently and have unique and distintive preference and opinions.

If you really want to find out how these or other phones will sound, stop reading articles here on head-fi or the web. Start saving if you need. Stop thinking and do some action!
biggrin.gif

Couple months of exhausting research in this forum might give you an idea, but they are all delusion, different opinion among users here is going to make you confuse more if you are just going to keep reading and reading and imagining.

So this is end of my first review!

EDIT: I Returned my SA6 because they are somewhat muffled and mixed when I play Fast-paced music like Trance, Techno, Electronicas.. They weren't xup of my tea

Happy head-fing People! I love you all and hate you all
mad.gif
at the same time for destroying my wallet silently!
confused.gif

Apr 14, 2008 at 11:46 PM Post #4 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
WTH is this +port stuff you keep referring to?

Please research before you post.

Go to SA6 website or search here for Sleek audio SA6. You will find what that means.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Then your review is incomplete. A proper review has all of the pertinent information.

MR. Fokker, I would say your reading is incomplete in that case since I provided all the link that you could just "click" and find out what those ports means. Please don't blame or complain for you lazyness, MR. Fokker.
wink.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:55 AM Post #8 of 26
Nice review, and I especially agree on the bass front. Just glad I never bought Q-jays. I did own ER4P (a long time ago), but I much prefer the SA6. I use Comply foamies and Shure yellow foamies with the Sleeks, and they are very comfy.

Apr 15, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
MR. Fuucker, I would say your reading is incomplete in that case since I provided all the link that you could just "click" and find out what those ports means. Please don't blame or complain for you lazyness, MR. Fuucker.
wink.gif

no need to be rude.

Apr 15, 2008 at 5:49 AM Post #12 of 26
Thanks for the review, but lets delete those unnecessary bad mouth.

Apr 15, 2008 at 6:44 AM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoyEnergizer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Quote:

Originally Posted by JWFokker
Then your review is incomplete. A proper review has all of the pertinent information.

MR. Fuucker, I would say your reading is incomplete in that case since I provided all the link that you could just "click" and find out what those ports means. Please don't blame or complain for you lazyness, MR. Fuucker.
wink.gif

ROFLMAO! Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif
I am thinking the SA6 is gonna be a big hit here, and not just Flavor Of The Month.

Apr 15, 2008 at 1:31 PM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by KUNFUCHOPSTICKS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no need to be rude.

Oh no I wasn't trying to be rude!
confused.gif

I edited my comment. Sorry if that typo was bothering you
rolleyes.gif

Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
x2. Language problem?

Yes, English as my 3rd language, so please be generous with me.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ClieOS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks for the review, but lets delete those unnecessary bad mouth.

Unnecessary bad mouth is edited, but quotes can't be changed

Quote:

Originally Posted by HeadphoneAddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ROFLMAO! Thanks for the review
smily_headphones1.gif
I am thinking the SA6 is gonna be a big hit here, and not just Flavor Of The Month.

I was just going to A-B them but now I don't know what to do with them. I don't need 3IEMs you know?
rolleyes.gif

Apr 15, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #15 of 26
something i dont understand about the SA6 is the port sistem, you say "well, the bass is great when using this port, and the trable is great when you put that port", well, im not going to carry around all the ports and addins with me and replace them from song to song, its good to be able to customize it to your own personal taste, but i think its unfair to review its bass with one port and then review the trable with another, im not going to sit down and replace the ports between each song depending on if i want more treble or bass with each song, if you pitch it against another headphone, you have to do so in a set configuration for ALL tests, and not go changing the ports when testing one factor and then changing the port again when testing another factor, becuase you know, that in real life, you´re not going to stop on the street and sit down to replace the ports,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back