ER-6i's: other alterntives for the gym? (UPDATE: RE0 vs. ER-6i bass?)
Feb 24, 2010 at 6:15 PM Post #16 of 35
After some further research I'm starting to like the Westone line-up. I suppose the Westone 1's would be a viable alternative.

GreatDane: I did that with the 6i's too, worked ok, but I still think the 4P's (or at least look) a bit bulky...
@Spyro: Why should I go with the W2's?

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #17 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by nalth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@Spyro: Why should I go with the W2's?

Other than Westone is the hands down the best workout IEM ergonomically, W2 is a fantastic IEM. Myself and Headphone Addict did fairly extensive reviews on it and we both feel similarly. It does EVERYTHING very well and really has no faults to speak of. You can do a search as there are very few dedicated W2 threads.

Very adequate bass, pretty large soundstage, great treble, balanced yet still very involving and exciting. Surely, my favorite IEM under $250

Feb 24, 2010 at 6:51 PM Post #18 of 35
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spyro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Other than Westone is the hands down the best workout IEM ergonomically, W2 is a fantastic IEM. Myself and Headphone Addict did fairly extensive reviews on it and we both feel similarly. It does EVERYTHING very well and really has no faults to speak of. You can do a search as there are very few dedicated W2 threads.

Very adequate bass, pretty large soundstage, great treble, balanced yet still very involving and exciting. Surely, my favorite IEM under $250

Sounds perfect (except for the price maybe). But, how do you feel about the build quality when at the gym? Also, do they have filters like the 6i's do and how about the sweat... do you feel concerned?

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #19 of 35
ne6 awesome for the gym and 39 bucks. Been using mine for several months now and love them. I wouldnt use IEM's that cost over 50 bucks in the gym just because of the amount of sweat and stuff that goes on mine. Just not worth losing a 250 dollar iem because i wanted a little better sound while working out.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:32 PM Post #21 of 35
Quote:

Sounds perfect (except for the price maybe). But, how do you feel about the build quality when at the gym? Also, do they have filters like the 6i's do and how about the sweat... do you feel concerned?

There is a filter but it is not intended for the consumer to mess with. The nozzle exit hole is quite small so it would be VERY difficult to get anything in there quite frankly. 45 min on a treadmill or stairclimber...plenty of sweat sessions and I have never had a problem with any IEM's. The key thing is try to leave them in during your entire workout. It is when you are taking them in and out DURING your workout where you could run into problems. Plus I wear a headband which helps immensely.

Regarding cost it seems some are finding them in the $205-$210 range at various sights.

Feb 25, 2010 at 12:44 AM Post #22 of 35
W2 vs. PFE

evil_smiley.gif

Feb 26, 2010 at 1:56 PM Post #23 of 35
Decisions, decisions... choosing the optimal IEM is so hard
smily_headphones1.gif

But I recently got interested in the option of using an amp; the FiiO E3 is really small..

Would the ER-4P + FiiO E3 be a good pair? More bass than the Er-6i I suppose? I would love the E5, but the tiny 200mAh battery is just too small...

EDIT: hm, maybe it will be a too complicated and expensive setup... more suggestions please!
biggrin.gif

W1? Monster Turbine? S4? ER-4P unamped?

Feb 27, 2010 at 4:53 AM Post #24 of 35
im using an iphone, L1, E5, and RE0 or PL30. OTE with both of them has been comfortable and no microphonics problems with either BUT i use the elliptical no treadmill (bad knees) and with the soundmagic ear guides your unstopable. i try to use the PLs due to their pricetag, but i really do enjoy the RE0 clarity when im in the zone and i dont have any issues with the RE0s bass, but thats me. personally i seem to listen pretty critically at the gym despite what others have said. between the intense concentration lifting and getting amped up doing cardio, im paying damn close attention to my tunes.

oh and the e5 is ridiculously small and clipped to your mesh shorts pocket it just disappears...

Feb 27, 2010 at 9:51 AM Post #25 of 35
Here's what I used a few years ago. I was the only guy(geek) with such dedication
biggrin.gif
...my first portable amp using E4Pro.

1470696057044175878S425x425Q85.jpg

My choice these days would be PFE w/ i7...and probably my soon to be Pico Slim.

Feb 27, 2010 at 7:48 PM Post #26 of 35
PFE: I'ma bit worried about the buildquality, otherwise they look like a good alternative.
After even more research I think I have shortlist though:
Monster Turbine (problem: too expensive?)
S4 (hiss?)
RE0 (too little bass?)

Feb 28, 2010 at 10:59 AM Post #28 of 35
@kretz: sounds good!
smily_headphones1.gif

Have anybody tried both the RE0 and the ER6i's? If so, how do the bass comapre? Does the RE0 have even a hint more bass?

Feb 28, 2010 at 11:15 AM Post #29 of 35
Quote:

@kretz: sounds good!
smily_headphones1.gif

Have anybody tried both the RE0 and the ER6i's? If so, how do the bass comapre? Does the RE0 have even a hint more bass?

The RE0s are very quick and got the bass slam, they will hit hard with a lot of power, the only drawback is you will loose on the very low end frequencies due to the roll off the lows. so there won't be that substance which you would find in most of the headphones.

Feb 28, 2010 at 3:27 PM Post #30 of 35
I've had both RE0 and ER6i although not at the same time. RE0 easily has more bass. Other than that I can't really say much since my ownership of the ER6i ended around a year before I got the RE0

Users who are viewing this thread

Back