ER-4S... XP-7 or HR-2? (Poll)
Jan 28, 2004 at 6:01 PM Post #16 of 46
Do you already have an amp, Bangpod? You're not going to enjoy your new source without one. Well, not for headphones at least. Do you have a stereo or receiver with analog RCA inputs at least?

You'll be just staring at the pretty blue and green lights.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:06 PM Post #17 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by Edwood
If you stick with the Ety's and don't plan to upgrade to a higher impedance headphone like the Senn HD580/600/650 or AKG 401/501 soon, I'd recommend saving money and going with the portable approach. I think the HR-2 will have some serious diminishing returns with your Ety's, particulary in the bass dept. ALthough, buying the HR-2 will just make you want to upgrade more. Heheh.

Seriously, you're going to have one killer setup. I wish I had such good taste when I was your age. It took me at least 5 more years to aquire it. Well, good for my financed that I waited.
biggrin.gif

Yeah, go for the XP-7. That way you'll have something to look foward to, and you can still keep the XP-7 + Ety's as your portable system after you build an even better home setup.
wink.gif

Pace yourself man. It's gonna be fun. (Oh, wait, I'm one to talk about pacing oneself.
biggrin.gif
)

-Ed

Sorry, but there are a couple things I would like to establish:

I plan on buying the HD-650's by this summer.
I plan on buying the AKG K-501's by this summer.

I have no need whatsoever for a portable amplifier. I seldomly travel, so a portable amplifier would not get satisfactory use. I drive wherever I need to go, so I wouldn't use a portable amplifier in the car; I don't have a train or comprable Metro system where I live; I am not obligated to fly too often and, when I do, I sleep. But when I must travel, I personally feel that my iPod and Koss PortaPro's portable rig is just fine.

When I get my new headphones, the ER-4S will be used strictly for the little potable use I will need. My main headphone will be the K-501's, as this little headphone has the absolutely sweetest midrange I have ever heard (it does wonders for Dark Side of The Moon and The Division Bell, let me tell you), but my only gripe was the bass region. The HR-2 is said to be a real bass monster, so I am looking forward to this extremely.

The only reason I am pushing for the Hr-2 is that I truthfully have no use for a portable amplifier and if I hypothetically had the XP-7, with my listening tastes (Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, et cetera), I would constantly be thinking how it would be even better with the HR-2. I would not be satisfied with the XP-7 because of my knowledge that I could do better.

Am I out of my mind, or are my thoughts actually rationalized?

Edwood, please help me out here -- you have guided me the whole way here and pushed me from an iPod -> Headsave Tempo -> ER-4S set-up to considering a dedicated home set-up. I couldn't thank you enough and you have evolved my expectations and preferences for high-end audio into a foundation that I can be happy to build on in the years to come. The set-up that you are selflessly selling me is such a caliber of gratitude -- I can't even fathom how great it will be.

By the way, your money was shipped on Monday. Have you received it?

With what I have said, is there any room for the HR-2 in me?

BANGPOD

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:10 PM Post #18 of 46
Quote:

Seriously, you're going to have one killer setup. I wish I had such good taste when I was your age. It took me at least 5 more years to aquire it. Well, good for my financed that I waited.
biggrin.gif

-Ed

What good taste do you wish you had when you were my age?
Are you referring to my taste in audio equipment or my taste in music?
I think you are referring to music (i.e., Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, The Beatles, Rolling Stones, Steve Miller Band, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan, Allman Brothers Band, Grateful Dead)

No, I do not have an amplifier at the moment. I figured I would take the NEC CD-ROM and MUSE 2 PLUS DAC off of your hands while I had the chance, and resist the temptations to pop in some Pink Floyd until I received all of my graduation money to buy a dedicated headphone amplifier (I am graduating 8th out of a class of 151, not bad for someone who doesn't do any homework
wink.gif
)

THAT, my friend, merits a smiley. If you don't like it, GOOD.
wink.gif

This is why I am so critical of this thread -- it determines which amplifier I will have.

Thanks again, Edwood -- for leading me every step of the way.

BANGPOD

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:26 PM Post #19 of 46
LOL, I actually really hate Pink Floyd. (not Mike
wink.gif
) I had a roommate in college that really killed it for me. He listened to nothing but Pink Floyd all the time. When someone plays the same damn music all the time, it just gets to you.

Oh, and I hate Johnny Cash too. I never liked his music anyways and I had another roommate that listened to him all the damn time too! What is it with all my roommates having monotonous musical tastes.
I also had a roommate that woke up to Lords of Acid every morning. LOL. Same damn song.

No wonder I liked headphones. Block out others' music.

Well, that and working in a studio. with lots of people and different musical tastes, headphones are necessary.

Well, I had a Headroom Little and HD600 hooked up to a PCDP back then. But I had a PCDP and crappy ear buds in high school.

-Ed

Jan 28, 2004 at 11:33 PM Post #20 of 46
Edwood, this is gonna sound a little awkward, but...

You are absolutely terrible at reading posts and responding to them. HAHAHA.
Not one word (well, maybe one) actually had some relevance to what was said.
wink.gif

Could you please read my posts over again and accurately respond?

I just typed all that to hear about your obsessive roommates.
redface.gif

There, I've had my fun. LOL.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 12:05 AM Post #21 of 46
Sorry I get off topic really easily.

Hmmmm. Sounds like you need a lot more juice then. Sounds like the HR-2 is more up your alley. Have you had a chance to go to a Head-fi meet? If there is one close to you, go! It's best to hear the stuff in person first. The next best thing is to buy from a retailer that will allow unconditional returns within a determined amount of time. Ray seems to allow that, but seeing as there are a couple HR-2's for sale here, it could be too good a deal to pass up. Although, honestly, if the sale price is within $150 of brand new, I'd go brand new.

I personally have not heard the HR-2 myself. I hope to someday, but my current obsession is the K1000's so the HR-2's are not on my list now.

But that said, I bought the Muse 2 totally sight unseen. But as you already know, everything has a pretty good resale value here. You can always sell it if you must upgrade to something else. The advice here is very solid, and dangerous to our wallets.

Looks like the HD650 will be a perfect addition to the HR-2. The AKG K501 is the only one that worries me. I believe kwkarth has had alot of experience with the 501's, he even modded a AKG SAC K1000 amp to use the 501's with. I think gerG did too. I know he modded his SAC amp too.

-Ed

Jan 29, 2004 at 12:13 AM Post #22 of 46
What the hell are the specs for the HR-2 and XP-7? I checked Ray Samuel's site, and there none listed for the HR-2, only it's dimensions.

No mention of the XP-7, not to mention the Stealth.

I'm wondering what the output impedance and wattage is.

Would be nice if the HR-2 was available with a stepped attenuator, but I guess the ALPs pot (?) in there is good enough.

-Ed

Jan 29, 2004 at 1:01 AM Post #23 of 46
Quote:

What the hell are the specs for the HR-2 and XP-7? I checked Ray Samuel's site, and there none listed for the HR-2, only it's dimensions.

No mention of the XP-7, not to mention the Stealth.

I'm wondering what the output impedance and wattage is.

Would be nice if the HR-2 was available with a stepped attenuator, but I guess the ALPs pot (?) in there is good enough.

-Ed

It is a Nobel potentiometer, if I recall correctly -- a very nice one, methinks.
To the best of my knowledge, he hasn't released this information yet.

Edwood, do you agree with my reasons for buying the HR-2?
Or, is your opinion that I go for the XP-7 exclusively firm?

Jan 29, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #24 of 46
I skimmed past the part where you said you won't go portable in the near future.

XP-7 or HR-2? Go for the HR-2.

The HR-2 is not a large amp by any stretch of the imagination. You could make/mod/buy a nice case for it and it could be easily transportable. Although the two box design makes that harder.

I guess I can't change my vote. I think more people are reacting to your title saying you want to use ER-4S only. Since you have plans for much higher impedance phones like the HD650 and/or K501, go for the HR-2. Although do some more polling and research on the 501's. I don't have any experience with them , but they are a different animal than the HD650's..

Does anyone know the impedance and output wattage of the HR-2 and XP-7?

-Ed

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:23 AM Post #25 of 46
I sure haven't seen any reports that the XP-7 has any problem driving the Senns, quite the opposite in fact, I don't think this is what should be the deciding factor...

Jan 29, 2004 at 12:21 PM Post #27 of 46
Quote:

He said he wants to get the AKG K501. That really throws a monkey in to the wrench. Uh, wrench into the monkey, uh...you know what I mean.

-Ed

Hey! I'll be happy getting both.

When I am all done with my headphone-buying spree, I'll have:

AKG K-501
ER-4S
HD-600
SR-225
DT-880
PortaPro's

That's what I want to have.

BANGPOD

Jan 29, 2004 at 12:25 PM Post #28 of 46
Edwood --

By the way, why does the K-501 throw a wrench into the system?
Is there something about it that I am unaware of? Or, is it more than that?

Impedence?
Efficiency?
Volume Output?

You guys have me stumped.
frown.gif

BANGPOD

Jan 29, 2004 at 2:54 PM Post #29 of 46
Efficiency.

But I doubt any of the Emmeline amps has problems driving the K 501.

peacesign.gif

Jan 29, 2004 at 4:45 PM Post #30 of 46
Quote:

Originally posted by JaZZ
Efficiency.

But I doubt any of the Emmeline amps has problems driving the K 501.

peacesign.gif

Do you mean that...

The Emmeline amplfiers will have no problem driving the K-501's well, or...
The Emmeline amplfiers will have no problem driving the K-501's to high volumes?

I am not sure of what you mean by "having no problems driving the K-501's."

BANGPOD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back