ER-4S users: what full size phones do you prefer?
Apr 22, 2008 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
I have a pair of ER-4S which I love. I also own a pair of Koss A250s which I think are the pefect companions to the Ety's, they are very detailed, super fast with amazing clarity. Their only problem is build quality and I am concerned they are not going last the long hawl.

So I am interested in which other full size open phones might suit my tastes so I thought I'd see what other ER-4S users like. I am interested in the ATH-AD2000, Grado SR-325i and RS1 and Sony CD3000 as well as any other suggestions.

So, please list your favourite full size open cans with a brief comparison with the ER-4S (or better yet with the Koss if you are one of the few owners).

Thanks

Apr 22, 2008 at 11:08 AM Post #2 of 40
First, the ER4s are very rugged; some people have had theirs for more than a decade.

There is no full-size headphone I know of that sounds like an ER4, other than the AKG K1000. The K1000 and ER4 are very comparable in their frequency response characteristics, speed, and detail.

Until recently my favorite can was the HD650, it sounds nothing like an ER4.
It is darker, bassier, smoother, and has higher treble extension. It is slightly slower than an ER4.

My new favorite can is my new STAX headphone. Its sound is very similar to the HD650; it is quite bassy, but with less of a midrange hump, and even better treble. It is much, much faster than the ER4.

Apr 22, 2008 at 5:59 PM Post #4 of 40
Grado 325i.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 40
I agree with Piccolo above that there isn't an easily obtainable correspondent to the ER-4S. That said, the closest that I own are the RS-1 and HF-1.

Also, I think the ATH-ESW9, while not truly a full-size can, has clarity that is similar but not as good as the Etys.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:08 PM Post #6 of 40
Could we get a little more info on system and budget?

It's not a coincidence Etys used to be called "poor mans Stax". I'd look that direction. $600ish or above this would be the recommended route (for phones/amp). Keep and eye on Audiogon and eBay. Shocking good for price and really the only Ety-like sound I've heard.

Otherwise I could see an argument for the CD3Ks, but Etys high handling was what actually made me be critical of the Sonys. I'd go for AD2K next. I don't understand the occasion Ety/Grado comparisons.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:10 PM Post #7 of 40
I find my K501s to be very similar to the etys - great detail and clarity. I have enjoyed many Grado models but all are bit more treble-intensive and not quite as natural sounding (to me) as the AKGs and etys.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:16 PM Post #8 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by blessingx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I don't understand the occasion Ety/Grado comparisons.

x2. I find them nothing alike, especially in treble response. The closest I have heard in a dynamic headphone is the K601, and that is why I just ordered one a few days ago.

Apr 22, 2008 at 6:26 PM Post #9 of 40
I don't find Grado's to be anything like the Ety's either.

I find my K701 to be more Ety-like than any Grado. The K701 isn't as airy as the ER4 and defintely has a lot more bass. I'd agree the K501 is probably most like the ER4S out of the AKG line, with the K601 coming in second. If you can still find one, the AKG K340 was as close to the ER4S as I've heard with its supremely detailed highs

These days, I'm craving more bass so I'm moving away from my ER4S for most listening.

Apr 22, 2008 at 7:40 PM Post #11 of 40
Stax Lambdas (current production SR-x0x or vintage Signature), AKG K701, K1000, Sennheiser HE60, Sony MDR-R10.

All of the above have a Etymotic-like sound signature: bright, fast, detailed.

Some of the audio-technicas also remind of the ER4, eg W5000, Ax00 series, etc...

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:12 AM Post #13 of 40
I'm afraid that the closest thing I can think of is the A250 that I had for some time but ended up selling as it didn't get much playtime with the L3000 and GS-1000 standing in line. The GS-1000 for classical and bigband and the L3000 for most other things but neither of them is really like the ER4.

Apr 23, 2008 at 11:53 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder
All of the above have a Etymotic-like sound signature: bright, fast, detailed.

Hmm. I've heard three different Lambdas (two regular ones and my pseudo-Lambda that spritzer made) and none of them were what I would even call slightly bright. There is perhaps a very slight upper mid spike, but nothing like the ER4s.

They're definitely fast and detailed, though.

Apr 23, 2008 at 12:02 PM Post #15 of 40
I am rather partial to Audio-Technica's offerings.

Edit: Oops I use ER-4P not S. =/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back