ER-4S leakage: Is there any?
Mar 10, 2007 at 7:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

Jaska

Headphoneus Supremus
I'm about to buy some ER-4S IEMs. However, one of the main reasons for doing this is to ensure absolutely private listening. I know the isolation will be more than adequate from external sounds, but for anyone who owns the ER-4S (or ER-4P for that matter), can you comment on whether anyone is able to perceive that you're even listening to music when these things are buried in your ear canals? I'd hate to spend the cabbage only to find that my wife still complains about the noise during late night listening.

Mar 10, 2007 at 9:13 PM Post #4 of 17
I think it will depends on which sleeve is being used and the volume. I could hear leakage from a friend's ER-4Ps with the triple flange sleeves on. Mind you, he did have the volume turned up loud!

He was trying out my D2 and had the volume at 36 (of 50). As a comparison, I rarely listen to it higher than 20 with my E4Gs - so it was very loud.

I doubt there is any leakage with the foam sleeves and/or at normal listening levels.

Mar 10, 2007 at 10:52 PM Post #5 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by mrsmr2 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think it will depends on which sleeve is being used and the volume. I could hear leakage from a friend's ER-4Ps with the triple flange sleeves on. Mind you, he did have the volume turned up loud!.

If you could actually hear leakage from your friend's ER-4P, no matter WHAT tips he's using, I'd wager that he's already suffered permanent hearing damage. Unless you have your ear pressed right up against his, and at dangerous dB levels for the listener, you should hear absolutely *nothing*.

Mar 10, 2007 at 11:01 PM Post #6 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If you could actually hear leakage from your friend's ER-4P, no matter WHAT tips he's using, I'd wager that he's already suffered permanent hearing damage. Unless you have your ear pressed right up against his, and at dangerous dB levels for the listener, you should hear absolutely *nothing*.

QFT. No leakage whatsoever with ER4P.

Mar 11, 2007 at 5:34 AM Post #7 of 17
I can't imagine any leakage with the ER4S'.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jaska /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm about to buy some ER-4S IEMs. However, one of the main reasons for doing this is to ensure absolutely private listening. I know the isolation will be more than adequate from external sounds, but for anyone who owns the ER-4S (or ER-4P for that matter), can you comment on whether anyone is able to perceive that you're even listening to music when these things are buried in your ear canals? I'd hate to spend the cabbage only to find that my wife still complains about the noise during late night listening.

Mar 11, 2007 at 7:49 AM Post #8 of 17
how would u know there is leakage enless you asked some1 else? and i assume every1 listens to their headphones loud and IS going to suffer hearing loss eventually because of it (according to those government standards).

Mar 11, 2007 at 8:13 AM Post #9 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by sillz10 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
how would u know there is leakage enless you asked some1 else? and i assume every1 listens to their headphones loud and IS going to suffer hearing loss eventually because of it (according to those government standards).

The design of the ER4's, in that they are inside the ear canal, makes sure that any leakage that would be there is extremely minimal. And the purpose of an IEM is to keep the listening volume DOWN by minimizing the outside noise that you have to drown out.

And a lot of people actually listen to their music at a very low level using IEM's and audiophile headphones. Loudness isn't the defining quality of most of the headphones listed here, after all.

Mar 12, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpippel /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Ha ha.

Well, I nearly blew my ears off when I borrowed it back from him as it was still at the same volume level - it was loud!

It's possible the flanges were not in his ears deep enough.

Mar 15, 2007 at 12:13 AM Post #13 of 17
Eww! You shared earwax?
blink.gif

I would not let my friends try them for that reason. I don't want to have my friends' earwax in my head.
mad.gif

Mar 15, 2007 at 1:26 AM Post #15 of 17
Quote:

Originally Posted by b1gben83 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I will echo the same sentiments: no leakage. if you can hear what you're friend is listening to then odds are he can't hear you anymore.

either that or crappy fit. very crappy fit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back