Er-4P with metal music
Aug 3, 2003 at 2:55 PM Post #3 of 21
Depends, but probably not. For portable use only, then probably yes, as it is one of (if not the best) portable headphones in existence and it will sound damn good with just about anything. But, for a home system or one where space/power isn't an issue, I would probably go for the Beyer DT770 from what I have read, as it is extreme in the bass department, which should be good for metal.

Aug 3, 2003 at 4:49 PM Post #5 of 21
Quote:

I would. If you listen to metal, you want to stay away from "relaxed" headphones (e.g, Senn 580, 590, etc). But ety's are great for hard music.

The 590's sound totally different than the 580/600. The 570/590 is upfront, "bright", and have punchy, bloated bass; they may actually work well for you.

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:22 AM Post #7 of 21
These are going to be for portable use, with a sharp dr7. I listen to some really brutal stuff, so I need to know if they have a good sound for it. Anyone actually listened to some cradle of filth or similar with these headphones?

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:36 AM Post #8 of 21
heh, well my A500's do fine with living sacrifice, who makes cradle sound like little children crying to their mommies (listen to local vengeance killing, or the martyr), I think cradle is weak, keep in mind that LS is thrash metal, but still...hehe...In the face of war is more like death metal, and they sound good with them too, I'd say go for it, but they're huge as sin compared to the ety's...heh

I'd say LS's "The Hammering Process" is more of "in your face" kind of thrash, whereas "Conceived in Fire" is more of a melodic hardcore...but it's really really good, you should go out to your local family christian bookstore and get one (my mom bought mine there, since they are a christian band...incidentally, so is in the face of war, and zao, and demon hunter...hehe, all the good bands are christian ones
600smile.gif
)

Aug 4, 2003 at 12:55 AM Post #9 of 21
I just got into cradle of filth, but ive heard them 10 years ago and hated them. They have gotten alot better since they started and their new album shows it. Im not really into the christian scene, I like more of the technical death metal like cryptopsy, origin, nile, or dillinger escape plan(not death but damn technical). I heard living sacrifice but thought the music was pretty boring.

Anyways, back to the topic. I went ahead and ordered a pair of sony d66 and er4p. Whatever ones I dont like will go back. My wallet is screaming at me...

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:03 AM Post #11 of 21
metal + d66 =
drool.gif

i didnt get a chance to really audition the v6's with metal, but i think the d66's are better.

all IMHO of course.
wink.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:12 AM Post #13 of 21
Ultimately you need some headphones that match the way you like to hear your music rather than what type of music you like
smily_headphones1.gif

What do you want out of your metal?
Authority?
Clarity?
Soundstage?
Impact?
These are some examples.
eg: Some of the industrial I listen to sounds better on headphones that put more emphasis on impact (DT770pro) than anything else. Other times I want clarity and detail because without it the music turns to mush - the ER-4 is ideal in this situation as long as it's a good recording, otherwise they're brutal.

Aug 4, 2003 at 2:46 AM Post #14 of 21
...LS's new stuff is completely different than their old stuff (inhabit, reborn), but I guess I'll give your bands a listen, the cradle I heard was soo bad it wasn't even funny, but I think the A500's trash the D66's at metal, they completely waste them
very_evil_smiley.gif
...never heard the V6's though, when I went to fry's they only had in box units, no demoes
frown.gif

Aug 4, 2003 at 6:03 AM Post #15 of 21
They only had inbox at the one I went to, so I opened them and tested it right there. They did not care one bit. Ill try ls new stuff also. Some of craldes old stuff is utter crap, the last few recent ones got alot better. Check out "and then youll beg" by cryptopsy. The most technical death you can find. Its their latest album, and probably the best. Their older stuff is good but the production is so crappy it ruins the music. Can you give a link for the a500's?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back