ER-4P thoughts
Oct 16, 2003 at 12:56 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Halide

100+ Head-Fier
OK, I got mine yesterday. I noticed that they really did lack bass, like others have said. I tried sealing it tightly as possible, but still...

I like the bass out of my huge 6' tall sub

Should i get an amp!?
etysmile.gif

WOOPS...forgot to mention...for an iPod

Oct 16, 2003 at 1:05 PM Post #2 of 8
What are you using your ER-4P with? Most portable sources lack bass with low-impedance headphones, and every amp would cure this more or less.

peacesign.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 2:30 PM Post #3 of 8
I'm going back and forth from a pair of 225's and 4P's and I don't have a problem with the Etys more refined bass. Doubt though if you like the sound out of a 6' tall sub any headphone will satisfy. Maybe the Brain Shaker. If you're keeping things in balance, are the mids and highs coming out of a 25' tall box?

Oct 16, 2003 at 3:16 PM Post #4 of 8
There you have the frequency response of your iPod's headphone out with a 25-ohm load (the ER-4P has 27 ohm).

attachment.php

There's a considerable loss of bass. A separate amp will cure this, but I guess you had to hook it up to the headphone out -- not the best solution.

The ER-4P has more than enough bass, but it's a bit different from the common headphone bass, not to speak of subwoofers.

peacesign.gif

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 8
Assuming I used an amp like Xin's Super Mini with the added resistors (4p->4s) would that add bass around the 20-60 Hz range?

Wouldn't the amp still suffer from the headphone out? What output setting should the iPod be set on in this configuration?

Oct 16, 2003 at 5:33 PM Post #6 of 8
I am one of the people that think the etys are weak on bass. It's all there, I guess I just prefer an enhanced bass response. I use an amp and made an 'S' cable. I'm not sure the cable makes much difference to the overall sound, but just today I tried the foam tips, and I do think they improve the bass and mids.

That curve that JaZZ posted looks troublesome. If your iPod doesn't have a separate line out jack, then I'm not sure an amp by itself wil help you. You need additional EQ capability.

Oct 16, 2003 at 6:32 PM Post #8 of 8
I forgot to mention that a higher headphone impedance would push the drop-off to lower frequencies. So the ER-4S would barely suffer from any bass drop-off. The question is if the iPod's headphone out has enough juice to drive it. And with the high input impedance of an amp it definitely wouldn't show any drop-off. You don't need an EQ.

As to the volume setting for best results with an amp hooked up to the headphone out, other members could give you some advice.

peacesign.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back