ER-4P over 4S
Oct 10, 2007 at 6:30 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Schalldampfer

1000+ Head-Fier
I like my ER-4P better than with the added impedance. It gives it a fuller body with its added bass. Am I the only one?

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:20 PM Post #2 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by Schalldämpfer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I like my ER-4P better than with the added impedance. It gives it a fuller body with its added bass. Am I the only one?

yes.
wink.gif

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:23 PM Post #4 of 12
Yeah, I should have added that this is through my PMP with no amp.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:24 PM Post #5 of 12
Quote:

Yeah, I should have added that this is through my PMP with no amp.

no wonder. as grawk said, properly amped, the er4s is much better.

Oct 10, 2007 at 7:26 PM Post #6 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
no wonder. as grawk said, properly amped, the er4s is much better.

Does it have more bass also?

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:16 AM Post #7 of 12
depends on the amplification,

i think that the ER-4P is a better buy, becuase you can always add the P to S pod for the extra impedance,

you get the ER-4S directly, theres no way short of cutting the pod out of the wire to convert them to ER-4P,

theres also the issue of the ER-4B, but thats for Binaural recordings, which arent too common, i never learned the differance in the ER-4B, if someone knows, please post,

Oct 11, 2007 at 1:56 AM Post #8 of 12
Quote:

Does it have more bass also?

not more bass, but relatively deep but very tight and good bass. the er4p has a boomier bass but given a good amp the er4s has bass that's real and tight.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aevum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
depends on the amplification,

i think that the ER-4P is a better buy, becuase you can always add the P to S pod for the extra impedance,

you get the ER-4S directly, theres no way short of cutting the pod out of the wire to convert them to ER-4P,

theres also the issue of the ER-4B, but thats for Binaural recordings, which arent too common, i never learned the differance in the ER-4B, if someone knows, please post,

i agree with this...it's like two cans in one. er4p for direct out of source use and then the p->s converter when you have a proper amp. best of both worlds!

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:12 AM Post #9 of 12
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
not more bass, but relatively deep but very tight and good bass. the er4p has a boomier bass but given a good amp the er4s has bass that's real and tight.

Never thought I would hear the words boomy and er4p in the same phrase.
etysmile.gif

Oct 11, 2007 at 2:28 AM Post #10 of 12
I like ER4s better than K701...because the ER4s has less bass....

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:06 AM Post #11 of 12
For pop / rock with bad recorded materials I agree that one may prefer the 4P over the S, unamped. For the rest of the time the 4s is really better (technically : ie clearer, more defined etc...).

Btw since I've done a direct comparison between my 4s and HD650 (amped with my Corda Opera) I now understand that someone may prefer coloration to realism as it may make the music experience more "enjoyable".

Oct 11, 2007 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 12
Quote:

Btw since I've done a direct comparison between my 4s and HD650 (amped with my Corda Opera) I now understand that someone may prefer coloration to realism as it may make the music experience more "enjoyable".

I've done the same comparison. Personally, I find the 650s to sound more real and the ER4s are colored.
600smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back