ER-4P first impressions
Mar 13, 2008 at 2:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

redrich2000

Headphoneus Supremus
I know this must be like the millionth thread of this type but hey these are MY first impressions.

First some of the form factor stuff. I have been pleasantly surprised by two misconceptions I had about these phones:

1: Using olives, they are NOT less comfortable than Shures. They are slightly more difficult to get in because the smaller barrel is harder to grip and the shape of the Shure E4s helps, but only slightly. Once they are in the feel the same.

2: They don't stick out more or look more goofy than Shures. If anything, their smaller barrel makes them LESS obtrusive than the Shures. I do have the black ones though, the red and blue would cancel out the small barrel advantage.

One really nice thing is the shirt clip, so simply and they probably cost Etymotic 1c each but they are really useful. I am wearing them under my jackey then round behind my head with the shirt clip fixing the splitter pod to the back of my collar. Like this they are very convenient and out of the way.

On SQ... I definitely prefer these to the E4s. To my ears they are more balanced across the spectrum with better treble clarity. But that's not news to any of you I'm sure. What has surprised me is these are not as clear in the treble as I expected (or hoped). Through the iMod amped with the Tomahawk they have plenty of bass and could do with a tad more openess up top (the iMod/Tomahawk is quite a dark combo I am learning). Straight outta my other iPod they have more treble emphasis. I have am S adapter coming shortly, I am very interested to hear how that changes things. From what people say I think it will definitely be an improvement for me.

Very happy so far!

Mar 13, 2008 at 4:53 PM Post #3 of 13
I found that the best way of wearing the ER-4Ps to reduce microphonics was to insert them almost upside down (the angled portion of the stalk would be pointing at approx 1 O'clock when viewed from the side). The cables would then wrap back over my ears quite comfortably without a loop of cable sticking out to side.

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:16 PM Post #4 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by keyid /img/forum/go_quote.gif
it gets better with s cable/adapter and amped! the sound balances out

That will fix your treble clarity, plus olives muffle sound I'd suggest switching back to stock tri-flanges, they get more comfortable after some break in and you need to moisten them before insertion. Someone here suggested boiling them in a water to speed up break in process. (I havent' tried it myself). Routing cable over ears helps with microphonic, I found that it works better if you put them into ears upside down.

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:18 PM Post #5 of 13
I personally hate the over the ear thing. I can never get the cables to stay there and so they are usually sticking out everywhere. The Shure E4s I felt had to worn that way because I couldn't get them in properly with the cables pointing down. I actually find wearing them under a jacket is the best thing for reducing microphonics.

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:26 PM Post #6 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teanacious Sloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I found that the best way of wearing the ER-4Ps to reduce microphonics was to insert them almost upside down (the angled portion of the stalk would be pointing at approx 1 O'clock when viewed from the side). The cables would then wrap back over my ears quite comfortably without a loop of cable sticking out to side.

Did you mean 11 o'clock?

Mar 13, 2008 at 5:32 PM Post #7 of 13
I will see how the S adapter goes before considering the drastic step of tri flanges. I tried them a while back and found them very painful. I find the olives much better than other foams for SQ, the coating reduces the muffle considerably.

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:02 PM Post #8 of 13
Quote:

Did you mean 11 o'clock?

No, I found for me that 1 O'clock worked best as it meant I was able to route the cable over the top-front portion of the ear which helped keep the cable routed correctly as this is one of the firmest portions of the ear (well, mine anyway.)

Mar 13, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #10 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank_Zuccarini /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think that 1 o'clock, when viewing the right profile is the same as 11 o'clock, when viewing the left profile.

Frank

11 o'clock
P1012561.jpg

Mar 13, 2008 at 10:22 PM Post #12 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teanacious Sloth /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yeah, but as Frank points out, the red one will be at 1 o'clock.
tongue.gif

Andrew, is that some kind of bondage thing you've got going on there, or is it something else that's wrapped around your neck?
biggrin.gif

That's not me, I would never strangle myself with the headphone cord, even if it's Ety.
tongue.gif

Origin of pic
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/2856117-post16.html

Mar 14, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #13 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by redrich2000 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
On SQ... I definitely prefer these to the E4s. To my ears they are more balanced across the spectrum with better treble clarity. But that's not news to any of you I'm sure. What has surprised me is these are not as clear in the treble as I expected (or hoped).

Try the triple flanges and evaluate the sound. Make sure you rule out fit or ear pressure issues as well (move them slightly, wait 10 minutes, that sort of thing).

I'm comparing a pair of -4Ps to E4s right now and was surprised at the change in sound when switching tips. I think the -4Ps show their stuff much better on the triple flanges and, IMO, are nothing more than slightly different EQ E4s with Shure foamies. Weird...

Overall I find myself reaching for the E4s more than the -4Ps right now for my typical uses. We'll see how it turns out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back