ER-20 Earplugs and Headphones?
Aug 17, 2009 at 12:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

rabidgamer

Head-Fier
Considering how these earplugs are used at live shows etc to protect your hearing, if I were to say... have them in when using headphones for gaming/music etc (to be REALLY sure that the sound levels safe) would that work? or is that actually more dangerous somehow?

I'm going to be buying a pair, for use whenever I feel I might need them... and I've recently had a scare w/ what I believe to be tinnitus in my left ear (not really sure yet, seeing doctor tomorrow) and it's something I'd really rather avoid... so could anyone that knows more about this stuff help me out here?
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:00 PM Post #2 of 6
I remember reading an internet article advising thus, but haven't tried personally. In theory they wrok.

However this is perhaps only possible when wearing large circumaural (round-the-ears) headphones, because the stems of the earplugs stick out more or less.

Aug 17, 2009 at 1:04 PM Post #3 of 6
I'd be using the Astro A40 headset, it's a pretty big one I guess so that really wouldn't be an issue, if it is I can always find smaller ear plugs.

I'm just not sure if somehow, in some crazy way it'd be dangerous.

Thanks for the reply.

Aug 17, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #4 of 6
I figured i'd give this a bump... sorry if that isn't allowed.
wink.gif

I considered just turning the volume down, but I'm not even sure if that's at a safe level... so basically what i'd do is, turn it to what I think is a safe enough level for me and then put in the ear plugs, which should make it A LOT safer, in theory at least.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #5 of 6
I use the ER-20 for concerts and they certainly work but they do change the sound to some extend. It sounds better without them but after a long time not using them I think anything would sound worse with some hearing damage. With headphones I would think a much better way would be to control the volume and just turn it down, something you obviously can't do at a live gig.

Aug 17, 2009 at 7:46 PM Post #6 of 6
All the ER-20 does is drop the relative sound pressure level by around 20db. It's flatter than most earplugs, but it's not flat. There is still less drop in the lower frequencies than the higher. The sound will change.

You still can't guarantee that the max volume of your headphone rig is "safe" even with 20db drop. Just turn em down!
smily_headphones1.gif

I base the volume on what I can still hear around me. Conversations around me are at about the same volume as my headphones are when on (I can hear the conversation as clearly as the music if someone is right near me). That's harder to do with closed headphones... but if you pull them away from your ears you should be able to tell pretty close how loud they are.

EDIT: For the record... I use ER-20s regularly. I have about 5 pairs around in bags, glove boxes, pockets, etc. It's not uncommon for me to be somewhere that's louder than I like... I make sure i have a couple pairs for concerts or loud clubs. My friends usually appreciate having them, after they make fun of me at first
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back