Equipment Racks - Help me decide
Jul 2, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #16 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Can you clarify what you mean by "cheap"?

If it doesn't mean inexpensive, do you mean "looks crappy" or "poor workmanship/build"? If so then I agree all the racks linked in the first post do not look cheap (not comparing them to Symposium, Billy Bags, etc). But that still isn't anyway to gauge their build quality- with low resolution pictures. All we're given are the dimensions of the boards, standoffs and a brief description. And pictures don't say anything about stability. I have a 45 lb Pass Labs amp so stability is important.

By the way I didn't take your post personally, but it seems you took offense to my post with the "someone like you" remark.

I really didn't take it personally, I am just like that all the time
smily_headphones1.gif

I suppose "cheap" is very subjective anyway and depends on personal experience and bias. I might consider the quality/workanship of a $50 dress shirt to be "cheap", while to someone else it may be a high quality/high end product. I have a $90 necktie and several pair of shoes in the $300 range. But again, price not being the primary factor because some of my highest quality shoes were only $120.

Most (if not all) shelving unit descriptions/specifications include a wieght capacity for each shelf and most (if not all) online vendors have return policies. If you are not satisfied with a purchase, return it. Much like the "buy and try" theory of comparing auido equipment. It would be difficult (in my opinion) to buy an unstable rack of poor quality. Which is why I stated that it seems silly to ask for input on this kind of purcahse. But in life each individual has unique experiences. If your experiences have created a need for you, or others, to seek help with the purchase of a stand, then it doesn't have to make sense to me. I should however, be able to say that it seems silly to me personally and it doesn't have to make sense to you that I feel that way.

Jul 2, 2007 at 3:59 PM Post #17 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by J-Pak /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looking forward to your input. Could you take some pictures if possible? The ones on the website are pretty small. Thanks.

Sure thing. I also had trouble picking out racks because the pictures came in such a small resolution.

LonerGenius: You came off as rude in your first post (much like a troll), but I appreciate that you've clarified your first post. No harm done.

Jul 3, 2007 at 1:50 AM Post #18 of 24
Well, I just got home from work and set it all up (including my Boltz CD rack I received today also). Here's the finished product:

ee680d65324a14c713cba8efb8a4d6966g.jpg

a32dda8c717c1a99374c6e6f191fa7de6g.jpg

5a439b929e82354f1ce45287e974441d6g.jpg

This thing is definitely sturdy enough that users will NOT have to worry about kids pushing it over. Unless you sprint at full speed into this thing, it's not going to budge. It was made for audio equipment, and it does its job.

The rosewood is BEAUTIFUL (don't have a nice DSLR to actually capture the 'real' deal). It's treated with a nice coating that gives it a classy 'shine' that doesn't look cheezy. The shelves shouldn't have a problem holding your 45lbs. amp, these boards are pretty damn sturdy (it's rated to hold up to 250lbs a shelf). The shelves are also supported by little styrofoam "pads" so the wood shelves do not come in contact with the steel base (and therefore you will not damage the bottom of the board).

The only complaint I have with the Lovan Classic I is that there are a few chipped spots on the steel coating (real small and concealed by the boards, so no big deal). Also, if you are placing the rack on a hard wood floor or any other "soft" surface, buy the footers for the rack. You don't want this thing scratching up your floor.

Jul 3, 2007 at 2:43 AM Post #19 of 24
That looks really nice & thanks for the info.

Jul 5, 2007 at 4:40 PM Post #20 of 24
That looks lovely. Quick question though, is the color of the rosewood more like what's shown in the first picture (flash off; darker, deeper color, more brown) or the following two pictures (flash on; lighter, more red)? Just trying to gauge the color of the finish.

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:20 PM Post #21 of 24
I now I'm a little late to this thread, but wanted to chime in regarding the stability of the Lovan stand. I have a Classic I and a Classic II, even bought an extra shelf for thwe Classic II.

In and of themselves, they are VERY stable. The three-leg approac assures no wobbling.

The only issue I have ever had is with the shelf stability. The base that the shelf sits on is a triangle with the flat side forward - think /_\

The rectangular shelf has little support in the left and right rear corners. I made the mistake of having two 1/2 width components on one shelf. I had taken one off, and as I removed it, the other componet (which was fairly heavy in the back) started pushing down the side/corner of the shelf, and ALMOST slipped out!

Just something to note. I actually like the racks a lot otherwise, and now I'm more careful about placement and moving things.

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:21 PM Post #22 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by SysteX /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That looks lovely. Quick question though, is the color of the rosewood more like what's shown in the first picture (flash off; darker, deeper color, more brown) or the following two pictures (flash on; lighter, more red)? Just trying to gauge the color of the finish.

The finish is definitely closer to the 1st picture (flash off). The flash ruins the color completely. IMO, the lighter rosewood is ugly (compared to the darker toned rosewood). If you'd like, I can take more pictures to capture the color of the wood.

Jul 5, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #23 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by skullguise /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I now I'm a little late to this thread, but wanted to chime in regarding the stability of the Lovan stand. I have a Classic I and a Classic II, even bought an extra shelf for thwe Classic II.

In and of themselves, they are VERY stable. The three-leg approac assures no wobbling.

The only issue I have ever had is with the shelf stability. The base that the shelf sits on is a triangle with the flat side forward - think /_\

The rectangular shelf has little support in the left and right rear corners. I made the mistake of having two 1/2 width components on one shelf. I had taken one off, and as I removed it, the other componet (which was fairly heavy in the back) started pushing down the side/corner of the shelf, and ALMOST slipped out!

Just something to note. I actually like the racks a lot otherwise, and now I'm more careful about placement and moving things.

Yep, I noticed that also (completely forgot to comment on it). I can't see anyone placing a piece of audio equipment in the back corners of the stand, since that wouldn't be too practical, but if you're moving things around, be careful not to place a heavy object in one corner as the shelf will tip.

Jul 6, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #24 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mher6 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The finish is definitely closer to the 1st picture (flash off). The flash ruins the color completely. IMO, the lighter rosewood is ugly (compared to the darker toned rosewood). If you'd like, I can take more pictures to capture the color of the wood.

Thanks for the info. No need to take more pictures--I was just curious. I and do definitely like the darker color more than the cheesy-looking bright red.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back