Equation RP-15MC: Post your pics here!
Jul 3, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #17 of 32
chords are for polyphonic instruments, cords are for interconnecting things.

Jul 3, 2007 at 5:31 AM Post #20 of 32
where the heck can someone buy these online? can you even get them online? i know that the nearest b&m dealer is too far since it's not worth it for me to go out 30 miles for.

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:00 PM Post #22 of 32
I have to show Morrison Brothers Music some love for hooking me up with my RP-15MC. Having spoken to one of the owners on the phone, I can vouch for great service there, too.

By the way, I'm inclined to agree with EsthetiX on the bassiness of these cans. I unfortunately don't have RP-21s to compare them to, but I find the RP-15MC pretty thundering. It's a controlled thunder, mind you -- not the sloppier boom of the K81DJ -- and, like Esthetix said, it somehow doesn't seem to interfere with the higher frequencies...but these things do some serious bass aerobics. Another thing I'll say is that, even after burn-in, the highs still seem a bit too dark for my tastes. I get no sense of air up there, something I would have written off as a closed-can limitation until I heard my ATH-ES7.

I tried removing the foam rings from my RP-15MC awhile back, and it made the highs edgier, but not better, to my ears, and it also produced a plasticy resonance I didn't like. I'm considering a thinner foam, like the one that comes with Sennheiser HD25 velours, but I need to find a way to thicken the RP-15 pads first; their shallowness causes one of my ears to press against the plastic around the driver, and that ain't comfortable.
frown.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:33 PM Post #23 of 32
Pics on the head are definitely something I'm looking forward to, and I will be sure to post some myself when mine arrive.

Thanks for the pictures, EsthetiX -- they look great!

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:35 PM Post #24 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by bindibadgi /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol.

But the cord is in fact a mini to mini cable, with a screw on adaptor for 1/4" sockets.

So it's true, then -- the RP-15MC uses a plain old mini-mini cable? Not some sort of special twist-lock or connector on one end?

If so, I will probably make myself a mini-mini cable while I'm waiting for them to arrive
tongue.gif

Jul 3, 2007 at 3:44 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:

Originally Posted by slag /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So it's true, then -- the RP-15MC uses a plain old mini-mini cable? Not some sort of special twist-lock or connector on one end?

If so, I will probably make myself a mini-mini cable while I'm waiting for them to arrive
tongue.gif

The cable has a mini plug on each end, but the earcup end also has a proprietary twist-lock mechanism around the plug. If you want your mini-mini cable to fit the earcup jack, you'll need it to be ultra-slim on that end (e.g. using a plug like this one here). Standard mini plugs are too wide at the base.

Jul 9, 2007 at 4:02 AM Post #26 of 32
If you need an online buy, ebay intermittently has them. Usually not the best Buy It Now price, but it's online. I ordered my 21 and 15 from a place that does online price quotes, they email you back, and then you have to make the order over the phone.

Regarding the color: I think the Equation guy said that it was a type of copper automobile paint, as used in certain luxury cars. Personally I'd be happier with a charcoal color, but whatever.

Regarding the fit: Gahh they hurt me for days. They had to sit on a large object for a while to make the metal give a bit.

Now that they're stretched out, they are pretty nice. I am not going to call them 'comfortable'. They are not going to win any contests there. But after tens of hours of stretching they are not 'uncomfortable' any more. Oh, the italics.

Regarding the foam: The RP-15 has a layer of thin foam stuck to a ring of dense foam. If you carefully remove the thin foam, you will very, very likely find it to be a unilateral improvement. I've heard that removing the dense foam ring is not as good an idea, but cannot speak of it myself.

The RP-21, sans-foam, becomes more sibilant in trade for some other improvements. I've actually had a good experience replacing the RP-21's foam with the RP-15's thinner, smaller disc of foam. It leaves a sort of crescent moon shape uncovered, so some of the high frequencies pass through without any muffling. YMMV, as always.

Edit: Woo! Didn't even notice there was a page 2. Some of this seems slightly out of context, then.

Anyway, yeah, the RP-15 is dark in trade for its excellent bass. I think I'm going to get a chance to loan my RP-15 for an acquaintance's ATH-ES7, and my RP-21 for his Alessandro MS1. Gonna be a li'l cage match, yes.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:21 AM Post #27 of 32
So I just received these today... man I am LOVING them!! Here are pics of them on a head, for everyone who is wondering about their size. Man they are small, but they are surprisingly comfortable! If you have really big ears they might not be circumaural on you.

Jul 18, 2007 at 5:28 AM Post #28 of 32
Is that a dummy that you keep your headphones on when not in use? It almost looks like a real head except for the hair.

Jul 18, 2007 at 6:04 AM Post #30 of 32
Haha. How do they compare with your ol Grados, slag? :p

Users who are viewing this thread

Back