Equation Audio RP-21 VS AKG K-81DJ
Jul 30, 2008 at 6:41 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 19

Sunkinator

Head-Fier
Comparison: AKG K-81DJ and Equation Audio RP-21

Note: The k-81 is blu-tak modded and has the foams removed from the earcups.

Hip Hop - Lupe fiasco/ Matthew Santos "Superstar" MP3

RP-21: Very detailed throughout the audio spectrum with tight, controlled bass but lacking in bass quantity.

K-81dj: Somewhat detailed in the midrange (not as much as the RP-21) slightly muffled in the higher frequency's, muddy bass but the sheer quantity of bass made it more enjoyable for hip-hop. (odd that quantity over quality actually won something o_O)

Pop - One Republic "Apologize" MP3

RP-21: Again, much more detailed throughout the entire spectrum and the vocal quality was utterly amazing! The soundstage is a huge improvement over the k-81 (The sound doesn't have an "in your head" feel to it)

K-81dj: A major letdown, underperforming the RP-21 in every aspect as well as introducing some shrill sibilance to the vocals.

Rock - RA "Sky" CD

Note: This is my favorite song from my favorite rock band. The intro has complex whispered lyrics that will put any headphone to the test.

RP-21: I have a new favorite headphone for rock! The complex qualities of the lead's whispered intro shone in their full glory and almost gave me goosebumps. Although very detailed when playing mp3's, the RP-21 should bring a smile to almost anyone's face when playing off a CD source.

K-81dj: Again, bass heavy and underperforming. While I did prefer these to the Grado Sr-60 for rock (shocking), I feel the k-81's had a compressed sound stage compared to the rp-21. The vocals oddly sounded compressed as well (as if I was listening to a 128 kbps mp3) even though it was off a CD source.

Comfort: The K-81's have become somewhat comfortable for short term usage. (after over two years of usage the vice grip effect is still ongoing!!!)

The RP-21's are comfortable for extended use but, because they are circumaural, they interfere with glasses. I just take my glasses off while viewing movies and such.

Style and Portability: Both headphones have good style but the K-81 wins hands down in portability. It has more of an "urban styling" while being smaller and weighing less than the RP-21. The k-81 can be folded and will fit in a very small area.

The k-81 is built like a tank and will stand abuse while the RP-21 will not.

Noise Isolation: The only thing that can surpass the K-81 in noise isolation is an IEM headphone. People can yell at you and you wont even notice them! (this is another great characteristic for portable headphones)

The RP-21 will isolate the sound of a noisy computer but you can still hear people talking at a normal volume/ hear the doorbell ring.

Sound Leakage: The K-81 leaks nearly no sound at all.

The RP-21 leaks significantly more sound but it is still bearable for people at 5ft+ distance.

Cable: The rp-21 has a high quality detachable cable that is pretty heavy and horrible for portable use.
The k-81dj has an okay quality thin cable that can be bundled up and is great for portable use.

Overall rating for Use at home: RP-21: 9.5/10
K-81dj: 5/10

Overall rating for Portable use: RP-21: 3/10
K-81dj: 9/10

The RP-21 is an amazing headphone for home use that absolutely annihilates almost anything in its price range. It might change the types of music you listen to - revealing tons of intimate details.

The K-81dj is probably one of the best portable headphones you can buy. Although it's sound quality does not quite compare with the RP-21, It is very fun with hip-hop, and retains its sound quality in noisy environments.

My recommendation: If you have the money, buy them both! They arent outrageously expensive and because their bang for your buck factor is so high, they might even cure you of the dreadful headfi-itis (your wallet will thank you)

The RP-21 can be had for $99

The K-81dj can be had for $60-70

My next review will state how the fiio amp synergizes with X-FI sound card, PSP, Ipod shuffle 2G, K-81dj, RP-21, and Grado SR-60.

Feel free to comment
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #2 of 19
I love reading side by side reviews like this, good job overall.

You've said that the rp21 "absolutely annihilates anything in it's price range" This isn't even remotely believable. Have you really heard everything in it's price range? You should back up such an incredible statement by listing the others you've heard.

I'm interested in hearing the rp21's sister model, the rp22x. Supposedly it's very similar but they added some bass to it, which you and others have said the rp21 lacks a bit. Intuitively, it seems they've "corrected" the rp21, but I have no idea, of course. Have you heard it/know anything about it?

Thanks for the review. I look forward to hearing the next!

Jul 30, 2008 at 6:54 AM Post #3 of 19
If you enjoy the RP-21 so much, you'll love the M-Audio Q40s so much more. And they can be had for the same price.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:08 AM Post #4 of 19
changed from

"an amazing headphone for home use that absolutely annihilates anything in its price range"

to "an amazing headphone for home use that absolutely annihilates almost anything in its price range"

lol. Also, i havent seen any formal reviews done on the q-40 nor have i heard them myself, so i cannot comment on how they sound. Richierich, could you enlighten me on how they outperform the RP-21's?

Also, The RP-22x sounds like it would fix the bass quantity issues that the RP-21 has when listening to hip-hop (and i personally would have bought it too) but I was afraid that adding more bass might overshadow some of its vocal/mid range detail.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:18 AM Post #6 of 19
Quote:

Noise Isolation: The only thing that can surpass the K-81 in noise isolation is an IEM headphone. People can yell at you and you wont even notice them! (this is another great characteristic for portable headphones)

I'm not trying to be an @$$hole or anything, but I just wanted to point out, try not to make blanketing statements like that. It might confuse the nooBs.
wink_face.gif
You probably meant that as a figure of speech, the isolation of the k81dj is indeed quite good, but some people might take that statement you made to be literally true.

Sorry for being such nitpicker. Just trying to help improve your review. Overall its great review. I love reading side by side reviews too.
ph34r.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:19 AM Post #7 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunkinator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
changed from

"an amazing headphone for home use that absolutely annihilates anything in its price range"

to "an amazing headphone for home use that absolutely annihilates almost anything in its price range"

lol. Also, i havent seen any formal reviews done on the q-40 nor have i heard them myself, so i cannot comment on how they sound. Richierich, could you enlighten me on how they outperform the RP-21's?

Also, The RP-22x sounds like it would fix the bass quantity issues that the RP-21 has when listening to hip-hop (and i personally would have bought it too) but I was afraid that adding more bass might overshadow some of its vocal/mid range detail.

Just read my mini, brief comparison between the RP-21 and Q-40 in the Q-40 thread
wink.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:21 AM Post #8 of 19
thanks I was actually reading the review when you bumped it :O.

Looks like I may have to sell my SR-60's and buy one of these bad boys to see how they perform against the K-81 and RP-21 and how they respond to the fiio amplifier coming from a xfi, psp, and a ipod shuffle 2g!

(My wallet is currently empty tho because i just purchased a ATI 4850 to voltmod and overclock the heck out of
frown.gif
)

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:26 AM Post #9 of 19
I had the K81DJs but gave them to my sister after I bought the RP-21s. Then I had the case of upgraditis and got the Q-40s. Needless to say, do not stick around here for long if you want your wallet to stay plump! Because I only had the Q-40s for a month before I jumped onto the D2000 train.

But yeah the Q-40s are better than both of the K81DJs and RP-21s.

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:30 AM Post #10 of 19
well.. i've been "sober" for over a year so i guess it wont hurt to buy a new pair
smily_headphones1.gif
found one for $90 shipped

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:34 AM Post #11 of 19
And then once you stick with the Q40s you're going to sell off everything and get the D2000s by next year. I'm telling you, go now! Stay away!

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:41 AM Post #13 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sunkinator /img/forum/go_quote.gif
thanks I was actually reading the review when you bumped it :O.

Looks like I may have to sell my SR-60's and buy one of these bad boys to see how they perform against the K-81 and RP-21 and how they respond to the fiio amplifier coming from a xfi, psp, and a ipod shuffle 2g!

(My wallet is currently empty tho because i just purchased a ATI 4850 to voltmod and overclock the heck out of
frown.gif
)

Ha! That's exactly what I did. Sold the SR60 and got the Q40. I guess I made some erroneous assumptions about the SR60 during my research. They didn't sound at all like I hoped. So before I bought the Q40's I read a LOT. I was considering the four headphones Skylab reviewed in his comparisson thread, the Q40's, the HD280, and maybe some others.

You found it for 90 bucks shipped on Ebay from seller "newitemsonly" right? That's where Richie and I got ours. I think he paid $95 for his and I paid $100 for mine. They were $120 on amazon when I got mine off ebay and now amazon has just reduced them to $97, so I guess now's the time to get them! Just to mention a "best price anywhere" recent reduction on amazon, they've also knocked the Denon D1001 down to $72 shipped. So buy that one also as well as the rp22x and then give us your rp21/rp22x/D1001/Q40 review. We'll be waiting.
tongue.gif

Jul 30, 2008 at 7:45 AM Post #14 of 19
Quote:

Originally Posted by richierich /img/forum/go_quote.gif
And then once you stick with the Q40s you're going to sell off everything and get the D2000s by next year. I'm telling you, go now! Stay away!

Not true! I've not bought the D2000s. (I will not...I will not....I will not...I will not...I will not.....)

Did you have the D1001's before the Q40? What are your thoughts on those? At 72 bucks maybe they're the best value? Or is their bass pussified compared to the Q40?

Jul 30, 2008 at 8:04 AM Post #15 of 19
It's gonna be hard to beat the D1001s for $80 on Amazon (not sold by Amazon though), and since they reduced the Q-40s down to $97 that's a hard decision! But if you buy from Amazon (not a 3rd party seller) they a great return program. 30-day satisfaction guarantee.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back