Equation Audio: 21s vs. 15s
Jun 3, 2007 at 5:32 PM Post #31 of 42
Have playing with the 15s for about a week. Very impressive. I am sure their is a slight difference between the two (21 vs 15) but I am hard pressed to pinpoint it. They both sound great. Better isolation from the 21s but the 15s are much more compact, esp. when balled up. The 15 are great off even small portables without amps. I used them to mow my lawn the other day with an ampless shuffle and they sounded great. Could barely hear the the mower. I am very happy with both. I think if you are trying to decide- get the 21s if you are primarily using them at home- and the 15s for travel. Either way you will be happy.

Jun 4, 2007 at 1:42 AM Post #32 of 42
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pangaea /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Have playing with the 15s for about a week. Very impressive. I am sure their is a slight difference between the two (21 vs 15) but I am hard pressed to pinpoint it. They both sound great. Better isolation from the 21s but the 15s are much more compact, esp. when balled up. The 15 are great off even small portables without amps. I used them to mow my lawn the other day with an ampless shuffle and they sounded great. Could barely hear the the mower. I am very happy with both. I think if you are trying to decide- get the 21s if you are primarily using them at home- and the 15s for travel. Either way you will be happy.

Thank you VERY much. That's exactly what I wanted to know. How do you think the RP-15 would work for subway and bus? I have never been on a plane. I intend to buy the rp-15 and paint them all black, at least that'd make for a lower profile and maybe cooler looks. If the difference in sound between them and the rp-21 is really hard to tell (given midfi equipment and bellow, and NOT extreme critical listening) then the rp-15 sound crazy bargain
biggrin.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 9:25 AM Post #34 of 42
Quote:

Better isolation from the 21s but the 15s are much more compact, esp. when balled up. The 15 are great off even small portables without amps.

Two questions:

1. Given the mower test, are the 15s really that far behind in isolation? What about on a bus?

2.Does that mean that the 21s are less good from portables, or that they need an amp?

OH it's so hard when you are broke! I just can't afford more than one set of phones. I like the look of the 21 so I might just go with that if it's sensitive enough for me (I have an ampless iriver H340), but then if it isn't sensitive enough, I wonder whether the 15 will isolate enough on the bus.

I hate decisions. All I want is a chance to prove that money can't make me happy.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jun 9, 2007 at 2:27 PM Post #35 of 42
The 15s will give you plenty of isolation. I have used both unamped and they are fine- obviously better with an amp, but you should have no problem without.

If you want something for travel (bus, plane, etc) get the 15s.

Jun 9, 2007 at 6:50 PM Post #36 of 42
I got the coiled cable today- and it is perfect if you want to use the 15s or even the 21s for travel. Its a rugged cable and it is tightly coiled at about 3 feet.

Jun 9, 2007 at 8:32 PM Post #37 of 42
I can't wait to hear your 21/15 comparison! I'm realllly considering the 15's the 21's just seem a little big for me. If the 21's are THAAAAT much better I will go with them.

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:00 AM Post #38 of 42
Quote:

If you want something for travel (bus, plane, etc) get the 15s.

Well it's always good to be told to spend less! However my intended use does not require foldable phones. I will either be wearing them, or they will go in my bag, and I have a big bag and never much in it. In fact I could fit my friend's Sennheiser 280 Pros in my bag WITH the box!

So I'm still leaning towards the 21s. As someone else said, I'll probably always wonder what I was missing if I bought the 15s.
tongue.gif

Jun 10, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #39 of 42
Quote:

I got the coiled cable today- and it is perfect if you want to use the 15s or even the 21s for travel. Its a rugged cable and it is tightly coiled at about 3 feet.

I was thinking of getting a spare RP-21 cable and re-terminating it. That way I'd have a nice 3m cable for at home, and a nice short ~1.2m cable for when I'm out and about.

Jun 23, 2007 at 5:53 PM Post #40 of 42
Quote:

Can you pinpoint wheer you got these cables please? Thanks. Do you need to attach a headphone connector to it? Thanks.

Jun 23, 2007 at 10:49 PM Post #41 of 42
for those that own the rp-21's, I was wondering if you've experienced any disomcort from heat.

When i wear the rp-21's (Stock pads), even for a shorter period like 20 minutes. It starts to feel warm on my ears and when I take the 21's off, I find that my ears are sweaty/moist.

Would the Beyer pads relieve some of this problem?

Jun 24, 2007 at 8:34 PM Post #42 of 42
I don't have RP-21s... but I'm assuming that the material is pleatherish.

The thing is that both pleather pads and Beyer's velour pads are going to warm up your ears.

I haven't modded my V6s to velour pads yet, but I will...

Anyway... from what I've gathered, velour pads could actually warm your ears up even more than the pleather, but they absorb the sweat (ya could have smellier cans this way) and do FEEL more comfortable, softer.

Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back