Equalizer...
Jan 8, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #31 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by bigshot /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, if you have the test equipment to do that. There is a psycho-acoustic principle called "frequency masking". When a frequency is boosted, it not only affects that frequencies, but the upper harmonics of that frequency. You can actually dial up a midrange frequency and kill the treble. As little as 2 or 3dB can cause problems with masking.

See ya
Steve

Oh
blink.gif
well I actually don't have the equipment, heh, but I was just thinking of taking the frequency response graphs from Headroom and matching the frequency and amplitude with the EQ itself and just dialing in where I see needs help. Obviously it's not going to be perfect, but we're talking about a $40 15-band toy equalizer here...

Jan 8, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #32 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by SoundGoon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My JVC integrated amp has a five band analogue equalizer, and all things considered, for what it is, I think it does a decent job. What model do you have?

the model number i don't know right now as the unit has been moved to build a kitchen. it is a 9 band graphic equalizer with separate gain and volume pot. quite a nice system for an integrated and one i was hoping would come to me via inheritance, but i think that it was damaged in transit.

it is too bad as i have been lusting after it for some time (10 years).

Jan 8, 2007 at 8:28 AM Post #34 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mrvile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh
blink.gif
well I actually don't have the equipment, heh, but I was just thinking of taking the frequency response graphs from Headroom and matching the frequency and amplitude with the EQ itself and just dialing in where I see needs help. Obviously it's not going to be perfect, but we're talking about a $40 15-band toy equalizer here...

Better to just experiment and play a lot of different kinds of music, particularly acoustic, unamplified instruments. Take a month or so and just tweak it till you find the setting you like.

See ya
Steve

Jan 8, 2007 at 10:18 AM Post #35 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by warMen /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will it be better than a software equalizer? The eq in foobar crackles for me right now, probably because of my crappy soundcard (sb live), but I'm getting a DAC and amp soon so hopefully that won't happen anymore.

Don't put any frequencies above 0 in the foobar equalizer and it shouldn't crackle anymore (subtract other frequencies instead to get the same effect). But you can do better than the foobar equalizer and still for free. Also, I don't see how an external equalizer can really be better than a software solution.

Jan 8, 2007 at 7:49 PM Post #36 of 51
Computer equalizer is obviously better for less money, but since computer-as-source isn't any option for me I have to get something for my CD player.

I'll probably run out later today to pick up the generic one. I'll report back later on how it sounds (or not, OSU game will be occupying most of my evening).

Jan 9, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #37 of 51
Well everything seems to be working fine, but I don't really want to talk about anything right now...worst game in college ball history...
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

Jan 9, 2007 at 6:02 AM Post #38 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Sukebe /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use a Behringer 2496 between my transport and DAC, but that's only because my room has a seriously bad bass hump at around 40hz (i.e. close on +20db). I'd certainly prefer to not use it, as I'm sure that things would sound better without it in the circuit.

Using the 2496, I've tried auto equalisation, it's not nice. Seems that the less processing conducted on the signal, the better. So I just use a -15db manually entered reduction at 40hz.
One of the most useful aspects of the 2496 is it's ability to measure the room, using a serious of test sweeps. So at least you know where the more obvious issues are, allowing the use of passive solutions for things like bass humps.

I have the same problem with my room, except its about +20dB from about 30Hz to 40Hz, with a notch at 36Hz. I used the built-in parametric EQ on my sub to drop it -15dB, but it still had a lot of overhang going on, which I managed to get rid of by opening a door.
redface.gif
tongue.gif

Room acoustics are funny sometimes.

Jan 28, 2007 at 11:36 PM Post #39 of 51
Quote:

Originally Posted by thomaspf /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As bigshot already hinted equalization and room treatment make the biggest improvement to sound mostly if you are using speakers and want to correct the room response.

There is also nothing wrong with using an equalizer on a PC. In fact, you might get really high quality for free.

http://www.geocities.jp/webmaster_of...ex.html#lpgeq2

I also use a Behringer DEQ24/96 although completely in the digital domain and find the results very good.

Cheers

Thomas

Is it possible to use that EQ for all audio output on my computer? I have an ESI Juli@, and I'm unfamiliar with all VST technology. If it is possible, does it interefere/bypass bit-perfect output?

Jan 29, 2007 at 1:35 AM Post #40 of 51
All eq changes the bits but ideally in a way you want them to be changed. Any volume control in the digital domain changes the bits as well.

I believe with the Juli@ you can use the savihost combined with the EWDM driver routing capability to have all sound be equalized. Let me try this out tomorrow and I will post what I find.

My Behringer DEQ2496 recently died and instead of spending the money to replace it I sprang for Acourate which is a software package that calculates a filter response for more precise room correction. Getting the measurements done consistently is still a somewhat of a mystery to me but I am seeing some measurably better results by now.

Cheers

Thomas

Jan 29, 2007 at 8:23 AM Post #41 of 51
Quote:

All eq changes the bits but ideally in a way you want them to be changed. Any volume control in the digital domain changes the bits as well.

I believe with the Juli@ you can use the savihost combined with the EWDM driver routing capability to have all sound be equalized. Let me try this out tomorrow and I will post what I find.

My Behringer DEQ2496 recently died and instead of spending the money to replace it I sprang for Acourate which is a software package that calculates a filter response for more precise room correction. Getting the measurements done consistently is still a somewhat of a mystery to me but I am seeing some measurably better results by now.

Cheers

Thomas

I'm trying it. I need to KS the output the audio to channel 3/4 in fb2k and route it from MME out 3/4 to MME in 1/2. Works like a charm so far except for one issue. If you make a mistake on any configuration, you end up with an infinite feedback loop that deafens the hell out of you.

Oh. That, and also SAVi host doesn't save your VST settings.

Thanks for the suggestion. You've answered my question perfectly.

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:27 AM Post #42 of 51
@cvince

Great that this works for you.

If you are using MME I am not sure that the output from Savihost to the MME device won't hit kmixer on that path.

For some reason I can't get this to work with the ASIO devices. Can you output to the ASIO cahnnels from SAVIhost?

Cheers

Thomas

Jan 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM Post #43 of 51
Quote:

@cvince

Great that this works for you.

If you are using MME I am not sure that the output from Savihost to the MME device won't hit kmixer on that path.

For some reason I can't get this to work with the ASIO devices. Can you output to the ASIO cahnnels from SAVIhost?

Cheers

Thomas

Unfortunately not.

I tried using Winamp output through ASIO (which is very buggy), and I couldn't get it to work at all. I think it's a SAVIhost limitation. If I could change the input, it might work, but the input options are grayed out when ASIO is selected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back