Equalizer software for Mac that works with a DAC?
Oct 20, 2009 at 2:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

kb1gra

100+ Head-Fier
Hi all--

I am having a little trouble finding an equalizer for the Mac that will actually control the USB output when a DAC is connected.

The iTunes equalizer will, but of course, iTunes doesn't play FLAC. I've been using Cog for FLAC playback, but as far as I can tell, the equalizer I'm trying (Hear by JoeSoft) doesn't control the USB output, just the headphone jack. In fact, I can't get it to do anything.

So, is there a software equalizer that will let me equalize my music being sourced from a program OTHER than iTunes?

Thanks!

I should add that I need my music equalized to compensate for high frequency hearing loss that requires me to adjust down the 1k-4k frequencies to keep them from hurting my ears.

Oct 21, 2009 at 1:35 AM Post #2 of 10
I checked the demo copy of Hear on my G4 with my Carat Emerald. You're right; it doesn't do jack crap. Then I took the emerald to my iMac with a registered copy of Hear on it. The Hear equalizer and everything else worked fine. So ya gotta pay your $50 to make it work.

There is a new freeware program called Flac2Mac. It converts flac to Apple lossless. The few files I've tried so far have sounded fine though I haven't yet done a side to side.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:38 AM Post #3 of 10
Unless you have a very large FLAC collection, conversion would be the way to go, imo. Try XLD.

Oct 21, 2009 at 2:40 AM Post #4 of 10
I have about 45gb in FLAC format, the rest is already MP3. I've tried using Flac4Mac before and it crashes when I click the convert button. This is very frustrating.

Oct 21, 2009 at 4:18 PM Post #5 of 10
Not exactly what you ask for, but...
Fluke allow iTunes to play FLAC files, and hence you can use its built in equalizer. Worth a try, at least while searching for otehr alternatives.

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #6 of 10
You can use Max to convert from FLAC to ALAC, and it does batching very well.
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 21, 2009 at 5:54 PM Post #7 of 10
I use the Behringer 2496DEQ which can be used with any DAC. It has a parametric equalizer and works great. At least for me, I think is is a better solution that a software based alternative.

Oct 21, 2009 at 9:46 PM Post #8 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kb1gra /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have about 45gb in FLAC format, the rest is already MP3. I've tried using Flac4Mac before and it crashes when I click the convert button. This is very frustrating.

I used Max to convert my 290 GB FLAC library to ALAC, it took a couple of hours
tongue.gif
but I didn't encounter any problems or errors. It's a simple matter of drag 'n drop
smile.gif

Aug 29, 2010 at 2:45 PM Post #10 of 10
Stubled on this and know it is way dead, but in the event that you don't have a good solution, you could use AirFoil.  It (please pardon the non-tech) inserts itself between your chosen application and the soundcard (USB DACs included) allowing you to affect eq, balance (an issue for me with speakers in an office) but it is a CPU hog (not recommended running Rhino or heavy Adobe), and introduces a delay of a second or two.  Rogue Amoeba software.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back