EQ'ing to make headphones flat (based on headroom graph)?
Dec 24, 2005 at 7:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

sumone

100+ Head-Fier
I don't know if I'm doing this right: I have the Sennheiser HD-280s. Based on the frequency response graph on this page, do the below EQ settings seem to match (in order to make them seem flat)?

Does it work like this: If the graph shows a frequency less than 0dB, that means I need to boost that frequency in the EQ by the same amount it's below 0dB? LIke if the graph shows 60hz @ -3dB, in the EQ I need to set 60hz to +3dB? And how exactly do your ead the graph? Is each vertical 10hz, but then it changes when it gets to 200hz? I'm confused.

In general, what is the procedure for EQ'ing based on a headphones response curve in order to make headphones seem flat? I always thought the HD-280s were "flat" until I saw the response curve @ headroom!

---hd280-test.feq---------------------

Dec 24, 2005 at 1:36 PM Post #2 of 24
You do not normally want a flat (on-head) frequency response in headphones, except when listening to binaural recordings. Stuff mixed for speakers will sound too bright then. The ideal frequency response for this kind of material would look more like the HD650's freq response (perhaps a tad flatter still and minus the bass dropoff).
Your idea for obtaining a desired freq response is right, plus one would normalize the EQ so that the highest value is +0 dB. The logarithmic frequency axis starts out in units of 20 Hz, then goes to 200 Hz, then 2 kHz.

Dec 24, 2005 at 8:56 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sgrossklass
You do not normally want a flat (on-head) frequency response in headphones, except when listening to binaural recordings. Stuff mixed for speakers will sound too bright then. The ideal frequency response for this kind of material would look more like the HD650's freq response (perhaps a tad flatter still and minus the bass dropoff).
Your idea for obtaining a desired freq response is right, plus one would normalize the EQ so that the highest value is +0 dB. The logarithmic frequency axis starts out in units of 20 Hz, then goes to 200 Hz, then 2 kHz.

You don't want a flat response??? But isn't that what you need if you do any mixing/mastering? In other words, won't a flat response dictate how the recording REALLY sounds (that is, according to how it was mixed/mastered since they do that stuff flat)? Aren't supreme hi-fi headphones just expensive because they have a truly flat response?

My mani reason I think I'm not doing it right is because on the response graph, there's like a 10dB to 15dB drop in the range between 7khz & 8khz. When I EQ it to +10dB, yes, it is really "bright", but isn't that what it really sounds like?

Also according to the headroom graph, should I be reading the red or the blue lines?

Dec 24, 2005 at 9:43 PM Post #5 of 24
Headphones are not like speakers. There's a reason headphones have those peaks and valleys all more or less in the same places. It has to do with the way drivers interract with the topology of your ears which serves to equalize the sound more or less (different ear shapes, sizes is one reason 2 people can hear two headphones completely differently). Senn experimented with completely flat drivers for the HD650, and they reportedly sounded like poop, so they went back to standard headphone curve.

Dec 24, 2005 at 10:34 PM Post #7 of 24
I have experimented with equalization and it is very hard to tell anything about the flatness of the response listening to music samples. Here is a trick that seems to work well for me. I take a signal that sweeps from 20-20,000 cycles and listen to it on the headphones. As the sound sweeps up the audio spectrum you will hear spots where the sound is much louder depending of course on the sonic signature of the particular headphone you have on. If you hear a particular frequency that is much louder and sticks out you must figure out which frequency it is. To do this you take the equilizer sliders down one at a time for each frequency until you find the one that cuts the loud sound down. Once you find the slider that cuts the hump you can adjust it for a smooth sweep with no humps. This is of course an oversimplification of the process. You get the idea,of course there may be several bumps in the sonic response of the phones depending on ear shape, frequency response, etc. so it may take some experimenting until the audio sweep sounds even from bottom to top.
Once the sweep sounds even from top to bottom you will have close to a flat response. Now listen to some music. You will not like it. It will probably sound too flat and lifeless. In my experience you have to go back and add some more treble to make the sonic signature more lively.

Dec 24, 2005 at 11:00 PM Post #8 of 24
Everybody's "flat" is different and EQ settings for the ideal "flat" are more or less meaningless except for the person doing the EQing and his clone perhaps. 'More or less' because our perception of bass and lower frequencies in general are quite similar since those frequencies are hardly affected by the ear shaping.

A flat headphone frequency graph is also rather meaningless. As markl said, a flat curve sounds horrible due to the human ear's individual HRTF, head related transfer functions, which is caused by the different ear shapes. A flat signal measured outside the ear won't measure flat at the entrace of the ear canal (due to personalized HRTF) and it will be different for every single person. So a flat signal measured at the entrance of the ear canal, which is where most headphone measurements are done, must have been a very weird original signal.

Simplified, it's like: HRTF (flat original signal) = "the weird graph you see on Headroom"
So if we have: HRTF (original signal) = "flat graph", then the original signal can't have possibly been flat or neutral. HRTF is a function here and (...) is the function variable. Like f(x) = y

Further, a flat frequency graph alone is only part of the story of accurate reproduction of sound. Another important aspect is the way of equalising, such as direct-field equalised or diffuse-field equalised and others, which will influence our perception of the naturalness of the sound.

But I find Headroom's graphs to be quite useful nonetheless for correcting serious problems in the frequency response. For instance, the HD 25-1 has a major spike at 8-10 Khz and reducing the spike using an EQ severely reduces the sibilance of these headphones to a normal level.

In any case, frequency graphs and the field of psychoacoustics studies associated with it is a subject to endless research and various institues thereof. So it's not quite that simple unfortunately.

Dec 25, 2005 at 12:28 AM Post #9 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
I don't know if I'm doing this right: I have the Sennheiser HD-280s. Based on the frequency response graph on this page, do the below EQ settings seem to match (in order to make them seem flat)?

Does it work like this: If the graph shows a frequency less than 0dB, that means I need to boost that frequency in the EQ by the same amount it's below 0dB? LIke if the graph shows 60hz @ -3dB, in the EQ I need to set 60hz to +3dB? And how exactly do your ead the graph? Is each vertical 10hz, but then it changes when it gets to 200hz? I'm confused.

In general, what is the procedure for EQ'ing based on a headphones response curve in order to make headphones seem flat? I always thought the HD-280s were "flat" until I saw the response curve @ headroom!

---hd280-test.feq---------------------

Your approach of EQing the frequency response of headphones is totally flawed.
Thankfully saint.panda already has taken the time to give some hints about the basic differences between loudspeaker audio and headphone audio so I don't have to do that (again and again and again, a sticky about HRTFs would be nice).
A quick and easy test how flat a response is in relation to your individual hearing is simply playing a pink noise signal.It should sound like a waterfall, no frequenzy should stick out.
The right way to equalize headphones is the sine sweep method mentioned by earjam.You'll need a test tone generator for the task.I recommend the test tone generator programmed by Timo Esser.It's shareware with a 30 days trial period.http://www.timo.esser.dsl.pipex.com/ttg.htm

Dec 25, 2005 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 24
So basically you're saying in order to "hear" all frequencies at the same level, the input signal will NOT have all frequencies at the same level?

As far as the pink noise thing, I've heard & tried that but don't even know where to start (as far as picking a frequency to reduce). Pink noise pretty much already sounds like a waterfall to me.

How can any equipment (not excluding headphones) be true audiophile stuff if they don't produce a flat signal (according to our ears of course)? That's what I thought audiophile meant; everything (patch signal, amp'd signal, and speaker/headphone signal) is flat & accurate.

Dec 25, 2005 at 9:37 PM Post #11 of 24
Uh, didn't you get the memo?

Being an audiophile is actually a lifestyle, and an expensive on at that. If u dont got the cash, just get another life!!! hehe
It means one thing is for sure, Hi-fi is expensive. and true hi-fi means 7000 CD player, 14000 Amp, with 40000 speakers, just that simple.

All Sony of course!

Dec 25, 2005 at 10:11 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by CookieFactory
Uh, didn't you get the memo?

Being an audiophile is actually a lifestyle, and an expensive on at that. If u dont got the cash, just get another life!!! hehe
It means one thing is for sure, Hi-fi is expensive. and true hi-fi means 7000 CD player, 14000 Amp, with 40000 speakers, just that simple.

All Sony of course!

You've posted either in the wrong thread or your crack is mixed up with something really poisonous.
rolleyes.gif

Dec 26, 2005 at 12:51 AM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by sumone
So basically you're saying in order to "hear" all frequencies at the same level, the input signal will NOT have all frequencies at the same level?

Let me try to explain this from the beginning. We will be simplifying a few things and misusing a few terms here but the essense is the same.

Imagine a sound processor outputting a pink noise via speakers which means equal energy to each frequency. Then we have a microphone pick up that pink noise. On a frequency-amplitude graph we would now see a flat graph.

Now, let's use the mic to record the pink noise on CD and play the CD back using a cd player and speakers (let's say both are Bose products). If we now use a mic again to pick up the playback from these Bose speakers, it would be a perfectly flat graph again, ideally speaking.

So now let's put the mic inside our ear, at the entrace of the ear canal and play back the recorded pink noise via the bose speakers. What happens is that the graph will not be flat because the sound, before reaching the entrace of the ear canal where the mic is located, will interact with our outer ears. The sound has changed and therefore the graph is not a flat line.

So that means that a flat signal doesn't measure flat at the point where it reaches our ear where it matters.

Let me try explain using math functions again: Let's call the output sound signal (outputted via speakers or headphones, doesn't matter) as "x" and what we measure at our mic as "y".

If we place the mic in a room, there's no function because nothing alters the sound or rather, the function is identity ID. So that means: ID(x) = x by definition.

So if we place our mic into the room it'd be ID(x) = y and because ID (x) = x, y = x. So if we want to receive a flat signal y, we have to output an actual flat signal x from the speakers.

Now we place the mic into our ear. Imagine the change of sound via the outer ears as a function again. It's called the head related transfer function (HRTF).

So it's like HRTF(x) = y, but HRTF(x) =! x ("=!" means "is not") by definition (because the outer ear changes the sound)

Therefore y =! x. Therefore we don't measure a flat signal at the entrace of the ear canal where the mic is placed at.

Now imagine two measurements: First, a speaker outputting a flat signal and a mic placed inside our ear. The measured graph is not flat as we learned from above but we hear it as "flat" (because it's been like that from birth
wink.gif
). The second measurement is done by outputting a signal via headphones (we don't know if it's flat or not) and again placing a mic inside our ear at the same spot.

Now! We want both measurements to be the same because that would mean that the headphone has managed to "convince" our ears that the signal is the same as the one outputted by the speakers, that is "flat" in our perception.

But the thing with headphones is that the transducers are so close to the ear, that the sound coming from headphone doesn't stand on its own but automatically starts interacting with our ears the moment the sound leaves the transducers. Therefore, in order for our brain to perceive a signal as flat, the headphone must not output the same signal as the speakers did because the working environment is different. With headphones you have resonance effects and other funny things. With speakers you have room effects, so that's not really fun either but less significant.

Summing up, we have two issues here:

First of all, the Headroom measurements are done via a dummy head with mics placed inside the ear so even if a speaker was outputting a flat signal, it wouldn't be flat on the Headroom graph (since that mic is placed inside our ear and will be affected by the HRTF). And ideally, a headphone should measure the same so that we hear the same things via headphones and speakers (things like soundstage aside). Therefore, a graph that was taken using a mic placed inside a ear (dummy or real head) -- regardless whether it's a measurement coming from headphones or speakers -- should not be flat!

A flat graph here would mean that the original signal was not actually flat meaning the speakers must have outputted something really funny. As explained in above, any sound reaching our inner ear will pass through the HRTF function. HRTF (flat input signal) = 'flat output signal' is not possible because:
HRTF (input signal) =! 'output signal', therefore 'flat input signal' =! 'flat output signal', and flat =! flat is a contradiction.

The second issue is that if you were to measure a headphone signal using a mic that is not placed inside the ear but simply in front of the headphone, it still wouldn't be flat because the headphone is designed so that it measures the same as a pair of speakers would measure at the inner ear (because we already know that the headphone must not output the same signal as the speakers did because the working environment is different). That's basically the essence of it. It is actually completely irrelevant how the headphone measures when not placing the mic inside the ear.

And besides: Because you cannot isolate and decouple the headphone from the ear/head system, it is impossible to talk about absolute neutrality from a theoretical point of view when talking about headphones. However, it's not like everybody is hearing completely differently -- in fact we pretty much hear the same in the bass and lower/mid midrange regions -- so there are common denominators. And I think that people are blowing the "everybody has different ears, so we hear differently" out of proportions sometimes although at other times some people are omitting this scientifical fact when they shouldn't, especially people claiming that something is absolutely neutral beyond any possible doubt.

I hope that made sense now.

Quote:

How can any equipment (not excluding headphones) be true audiophile stuff if they don't produce a flat signal (according to our ears of course)? That's what I thought audiophile meant; everything (patch signal, amp'd signal, and speaker/headphone signal) is flat & accurate.

Good question. The unfortunate fact is that every manufacturer of loudspeakers and cd players and amps, etc. will tell you that only their gear is true to the recording. Certainly, they're all very close but the final permille can only be determined by whatever audio philosophy and approach you believe in, and of course whatever sounds the most natural or most accurate or whatever or simply the best to you. The fact is that the audiophile stuff all start to sound very similar from a certain level on for good reasons. Further, frequency response is only one small part of the story of sound reproduction. You have other issues like soundstage, timing, transient response, imaging, etc. And these are also part of the discussion of what is really "true to the recording". So "flat" is only a part of "accurate". In any case, a violin will still sound like a violin on most speakers since they're all pretty accurate and neutral, but it will not sound the same and that makes the small but nonetheless discernable difference in sound reproduction which gives so many audiophiles something to argue about, and quite intensely on top of that. The differences are sometimes so significant, that some people don't even hear it... Well, sometimes there really is nothing to hear. Such idiotic tweaks like "quantum purifiers" for cables wouldn't exist if audiophile didn't already live on the borderline between sane and insane.

On the issue of neutrality, you can read the article "Road to Audio Hell" by Audio Note. It is a very interesting approach and one that makes a lot of sense in my opinion.

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:03 AM Post #14 of 24
I don't think speakers are necessarily a more natural reproduction than headphones, just different. My room is nothing like the studio the stuff was mixed it, so it won't sound the same regardless.

The monitoring speakers used in most studios are nothing like the hi-fi speakers most people run in their homes, anyway.

I've had good luck using the Headroom graphs as general guides for EQ'ing actually, and since my listening impressions usually match their graphs well, I've found it a very useful guide to tweaking different phones to get the sound I want. I say use that as a starting point then tweak stuff as you see it.. as someone else mentioned it can make the upper mids sound a bit bright depending on the phones, but I had really good luck EQ'ing out the bump/hole in the DT880 graph.

Dec 26, 2005 at 1:23 AM Post #15 of 24
Thanks for the informative post saint.panda. I find the headroom graphs good general guides for equalizing, and I think the lower frequencies (< 3kHz) should definately be equalized, but the upper frequencies are not worth equalizing due to what saint.panda mentioned and also since it differs from headphone driver to headphone driver (even within the same headphone left and right channels). Big peaks and dips should still be smoothed out, though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back