Eq'ing music files.
Feb 27, 2020 at 11:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ynot1

500+ Head-Fier
I came across this situation where I have a headphone that requires eq and I have music players or DAPs that does not have eq. I know music files are just zeros and ones. But I'm thinking that you can add eq to them. And I don't know of an app that can do this. Has anyone done this?

Feb 27, 2020 at 5:24 PM Post #3 of 5
You can do that in Foobar. Select the song or songs, right click->"convert"->the 3 dots at the bottom to access the settings->"processing"-> and now you just drag an EQ and anything else you wish applied, to the "active DSPs" column.
I've used that for about a decade to have my IEMs with the sound I like even when the EQ of my DAP was crap.
Obviously you could use any DAW like the free Audacity and edit files however you like. I suggest Foobar because I'm used to that, not because it does anything special in this case.

You should find a clear way to identify those songs or albums that have been EQed, so you never end up wondering which are the original files. The right EQ of today with a given IEM/headphone might not be the right EQ of tomorrow. So keep the original somewhere.

Mar 3, 2020 at 11:49 PM Post #5 of 5
Is there a way to make a track non sibilant?
This DSP function is called De-Essing, decreasing the amount of “S” or sibilance in a sound system. You could use the above method to EQ during the conversion process. This is typically done by decreasing 5KHz - 8KHz by a slight amount in the EQ. You can also use a compressor with side-chain input, but not certain if Foobar2k has a plug-in like that. Hope that helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back