Epiphany Acoustics join Head-Fi with the EHP-O2 portable headphone amp
Dec 20, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #46 of 132
Interesting - you go to London for holidays while London people dream of getting out of the city and going somewhere nice like Greece. Oh, wait ....

Dec 22, 2011 at 4:05 AM Post #49 of 132
small-scale Chinese shipping can be pretty expensive from what I've seen, and customs have the legal right to confiscate audio gear. :/

I'm guessing if a medium sized company has a contract with DHL, UPS, FedEx etc. it becomes cheaper.

Not sure about your Perth story Estreeter, but when I ship with DHL within Australia it arrives in less than 24 hours.

Either way, it's lovely to have this reference high-end portable amplifier "Designed In USA" and "Made In England", don't you think? :wink:

Dec 23, 2011 at 7:23 PM Post #51 of 132
Predictably, Friday came and went with no sign of my EPH-02 - our shop is just across from the Post Office, and I swear that at 5pm there was a loud cheer from inside their building, and someone yelled out 'So long, suckers, I'm outta here !'.  Reassuring.

Dec 28, 2011 at 12:57 AM Post #52 of 132
That was nice of you Oliver 
font]

Jan 1, 2012 at 11:35 AM Post #53 of 132
I have mine and it's fabulous. I imagine especially good for harder to drive cans. Better bass, not just more bass, but tighter and better defined. Better 'air' around the instruments, ie, improved separation. Maybe some golden-eared individuals will do a better review. I used it with my Cowon x7 and the Shure SRH-940, comparing with and without using the outboard amp. This combination has superb synergy. One needs to spend a heap more money to get even more realism from a setup. ( I should add the the Cowon does a great job driving these cans all on it's own, but it's simply better with the amp). As always, YMMV.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #55 of 132

Quote:
Either way, it's lovely to have this reference high-end portable amplifier "Designed In USA" and "Made In England", don't you think? :wink:

I thought nvavguy was english? I dont know WHY I thought that, Errr I think the phrase high end is stretching it with this amp, dont get me wrong I like my O2 despite having a few avoidable problems which I have now fixed but high end is not how I would describe the O2, I would class it more as a good budget amp which is really exactly what it is, I compared it last night with my other portables & it is better than a Fiio but that is not hard to improve on at all but a little worse than my Neco V2 which only set me back £69 so still a pretty hard amp to beat in this real budget end of the market of sub £100, the O2 is still a decent little portable amp though but now having one myself I do think like the Fiio it has become overhyped for what it does, high end definately not, good budget definately yes, although I do still think my pimeta DIY has the edge on channel seperation, low impedance drive & clarity, the O2 has clarity but has more sibilance which my ears do not take kindly too.

Jan 2, 2012 at 9:43 AM Post #56 of 132
I think people associate "high-end" way more with price than with performance. If something performs good enough to have inaudible flaws, I would consider it high-end.

And how is Fiio overhyped? They have the best price-quality ratio out there. Most people can't tell an E9 apart from something much more expensive. If you say you're pairing a K701 with an E9, all hell rains on you. But if you're using something that costed 5x more and uses tube distortion, then suddenly you're an audiophile.

Jan 2, 2012 at 7:09 PM Post #57 of 132
Predictably, my EPH-02 sat in my local Post Office for the Xmas/New Year break, arriving in the office this morning.

Oliver, I want to commend you on the professional appearance of the EPH-02 : I know that most of the parts were made elsewhere, but the overall impression is of a commercial amplifier, not a DiY project, or at least not one I would have assembled  :wink:

The amp is smaller than any of the photos would have had me believe - while its wider than any of my other portable amps, its no higher or deeper. Wont be able to listen until I get home tonite, but its good to have a little new-toy joy.

Jan 4, 2012 at 6:07 AM Post #58 of 132
Many thanks for the positive feedback, guys, I'm glad you like it!

If you have time, please feel free to right a short review or even just click 'I Own It' on this EHP-O2 product page:
http://www.head-fi.org/products/epiphany-acoustics-ehp-o2

- it would be much appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back