Epiphany Acoustics join Head-Fi with the EHP-O2 portable headphone amp
Jun 24, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #106 of 132
Quote:
Hi,

I've been running the O2 for quite some time now and I'm absolutely satisfied and totally happy with it. The sound is AWESOME and the amp itself is really beautiful.
This "clipping sound" you mention... is this the hideous loud beep that sort of rhytmically appears when the batteries are low? Had me almost falling off my chair when I encountered it the first time :D Almost thought the old iPod was going nuts...

Yes, that would be it :wink:. All of the latest versions have been slightly modified to make sure that this no longer occurs anymore.
Quote:
Hi Oliver! Im in Slough and am interested in placing an order for both the Amp and Dac. Here's what i want to know. If I buy the amp and DAC separately, would that perform the same as the amp and DAC combined model? Ipurchased a bottlehead crack and was hoping to buy one DAC to use with any amp I buy for now till I have a bigger budget. My budget is £200. If I go for the AMP+DAC combined, how long will that take to get shipped? Im in UK till the end of July so I have time. The headphones i'll be using are Senns HD 650.

The performance would be identical. As for shipping times, yep, we should be able to meet your requirements :)

In other news, the EHP-O2 just got a 5 star 'Recommended' review in Hi-Fi Choice, a British hi-fi magazine. I have started a new thread to shout about the good news :D

Sep 24, 2012 at 7:27 AM Post #108 of 132
(In response to vkvedam's situation, that is being resolved).

In other news, we got a little bit of feedback from another happy customer regarding the EHP-O2 amplifier:

"I just wanted to take a break from a music appreciation session and thank you guys, I've been listening nonstop during my free time for about a week now. This thing is excellently built and sounds great.
Gratefully,
<name removed>"

There is currently a 7-12 day lead time on the EHP-O2 and EHP-O2D.

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:46 AM Post #110 of 132
Just thought I would add my recommendation for this excellent amplifier. I have already GS Voyager, GS Novo, Meier Headsix, plus numerous Fiio amps, but this EHP-02 amp is so versatile, clean sounding and silent (free of hiss) with all headphones I use - It just seems to be able to drive them all. Despite the Novo being desktop, I find the EHP-02 able to match it, even with the (slightly more) demanding HD650 headphone. I also think it pairs fantastically with the German Maestro GMP8.35D. This GMP headphone suffers with obvious hiss with the Novo, but is utterly silent on the EHP-02. I wanted an amp to allow me to drive a range of headphones (open and closed at various ohm ratings), whilst not dictating any 'style' of its own to the sound and remaining dead silent with them all. This amp delivers on all counts. Thanks Oliver for building this great amp for me. 
Note: - also used with the amp - HD650, GMP8.35D, HD25ii, DT150, Triple Fi - all sound great.

Oct 11, 2012 at 1:40 AM Post #111 of 132
....and the wait continues for the desktop version...:popcorn:

Oct 12, 2012 at 8:16 AM Post #112 of 132
Some more feedback from a customer pleased with his purchase:

"Hi Oliver, received the ehp-02 today and have to say it was worth the wait. Pound for pound it is the smoothest portable amp I've had and I've tested a few like the RSA hornet, Meier move, practical devices x4 and decware's zenhead but in my opinion this has the measure of them all, super smooth, balanced and trie with beautiful mid range but no sacrifice in detail. Soundstage is very wide but natural withe excellent instrument separation and placement. Subtlety of the sound is borne out for me by the fact that I can pick out the finer details of things like cymbals. They shimmer rather than grate on the ear. The silence between tracks is palpable too. Bass too is defined, detailed and devoid of any boom. This amp makes my Sennheiser HD518s just sing.  So glad I've been able to source this in the uk too. A true audiophile portable amp at a budget price.
Thanks, <name removed>"

Oct 12, 2012 at 10:52 PM Post #113 of 132
Good luck Oliver, I grew up in Dawlish and went to Exeter University but now live in Canada. Nice to see someone making HiFi in dear old Devon.

Oct 15, 2012 at 3:51 PM Post #114 of 132
My EHP-O2 + E-DAC combo arrived this weekend - I was amazed how well everything was packed, no way anything could happen to my precious gear. Sound wise I think I don't even have to add anything to previous posts. Thanks again Oliver!

Oct 20, 2012 at 4:44 PM Post #116 of 132
Oliver, have you considered moving the AC-in to the back of the unit? This may require a re-design and a slight move away from NwAvGuy's original design, but it's the only thing putting me off buying it!

Edit: Looks like I've buggered my font up.

Oct 22, 2012 at 8:53 AM Post #117 of 132
Whatever happened to the Objective Desktop Amplifier design from nwavguy? the blog hasn't been updated since May, is the project dead or are you still expecting to have an ODA product Oliver?

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:30 AM Post #118 of 132
Quote:
Oliver, have you considered moving the AC-in to the back of the unit? This may require a re-design and a slight move away from NwAvGuy's original design, but it's the only thing putting me off buying it!

Edit: Looks like I've buggered my font up.

Unfortunately that isn't really feasible at the moment.
Quote:
Whatever happened to the Objective Desktop Amplifier design from nwavguy? the blog hasn't been updated since May, is the project dead or are you still expecting to have an ODA product Oliver?

All I have heard is that it has been delayed. No word of a expected launch date I'm afraid.

Feb 22, 2013 at 2:34 PM Post #119 of 132
I'm now decided to get this amp, at least. I'm on a budget after purchasing the Q701 and don't want to extend it too much. If I get only the amp and another budget-friendly DAC, are there any suggestions for the DAC? Like compatibility-wise. I've set my eye on the HiFimeDIY Sabre USB DAC. Do you think this would sacrifice a lot of quality compared to the O2D?
Also, as this is bought for a company, can I buy it without VAT? There is no such option at the website.

Apr 10, 2013 at 5:24 PM Post #120 of 132
Just received both the EHP-O2 (portable and office use) and EHP-O2D (home rig)! Superb build quality and everything is running smoothly. It doesn´t look like a DIY product at all. The enclosure is really nice! As for the sound: it doesn´t really have one. It´s wire with gain like the Benchmark DAC-1 PRE I used to own. Subjectively it may not be everyone´s cup of tea (people who don´t like the Benchmark won´t like the O2/ODAC either), but paired with well produced music it´s stunning. It sets a new benchmark for the price. At this price range I don´t really think it has any real negatives and I´m sure it´ll be ear-opening for many. Haven´t had a neutral amp/dac for a while and I can already notice new details in almost all music I´m listening to!

Oliver is also a pleasure to deal with - always fast replies and a good attitude! From my experience I would definitely recommend Epiphany Acoustics to fellow Head-Fi´ers. 

PS: If you are using IEM´s be sure to order it with unity gain (1x/2.5x). Gain 2.5x is way too much for those.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back