"Alice's Restaurant" - Arlo Guthrie

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:53 PM Post #18 of 78
"Strange Fruit" - Billie Holiday
"Four Women"- Nina Simone

Jan 9, 2007 at 9:56 PM Post #19 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rock&Roll Ninja /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Richard Thomas - 1952 Vincent Black Lightning

That would be Richard Thompson. Great song - maybe the greatest folk song of the last twenty years - but I wouldn't call it an epic.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #20 of 78
Lamb of God - One Gun
In Flames - Come Clarity

more...will think of them later.

Jan 9, 2007 at 10:33 PM Post #21 of 78
Quote:

Originally Posted by firebirdIII /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My favorite is definitely Achille's Last Stand by Zep.

The live version, from the Zeppelin DVD set, is amazing. If you like Zeppelin, and don't have it, get it.

Jan 9, 2007 at 11:12 PM Post #22 of 78
as i'm listening to pelican i see this thread. right now i'm listening to 'drought' from australasia. epic and heavy.

i saw someone mention gs!ybe. their songs build to beautiful epic segments, very worth looking into if you don't mind listening to 15-20 minute songs.

Jan 10, 2007 at 1:33 AM Post #25 of 78
To me "Epic songs" are songs that tell big stories. I don't need a belting tenor (although it helps); it is the content that counts. My favorites:

Muir and the Master Builder by Scottish songwriter Brian McNeill -- a paean to conservationist John Muir in a richly allegoric, almost mystical language.

The Beaches Of St. Valery by The Battlefield Band -- a story about a team of WWII British soldiers who were deserted by their commanders at a French post and eventually surrendered. Posterity sees them as war heroes, yet it didn't help: a deep sense of shame remains.

Cherokee Bend by Gordon Lightfoot -- a tragic story of racial conflict.

Dante's Prayer by Loreena Mckennitt -- sounds like I'm with Beatrice, airborne, surveying the predicaments of the human condition.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:22 AM Post #26 of 78
A lot of post-rock groups have easy definitions of "epic" music. God Speed You Black Emperor! and Sigur Ros, just to name a few, have basically entire discographies of "epic" music.

The Moody Blues - "Nights In White Satin" comes as a more "pop" reference.

On a similar note, King Crimson - "Epitaph".

I also refer to composers like Mahler and Verdi as "epic" as well. Mahler's 8th is simply intense, as is Verdi's requiem.

Jan 10, 2007 at 2:50 AM Post #27 of 78
Vangelis - Mythodea.

Youll have heard Holsts Mars from the Planets suite. Imagine that, scaled up with even more epic awesome, and an album long.

Jan 10, 2007 at 6:06 AM Post #29 of 78
Here's the ones that I didn't see anyone else mention.

Alice Cooper - Ballad of Dwight Fry
Black Sabbath - Megalomania, The Writ, Warning, Heaven and Hell, The Sign of the Southern Cross
Judas Priest - Victim of Changes
Metallica - Master of Puppets, ...And Justice For All
Guns N' Roses - Coma
Ministry - So What
Anthrax - I Am The Law
Public Enemy - Black Steel in the Hour of Chaos
Soundgarden - Slaves & Bulldozers
Faith No More - Jizzlobber, Zombie Eaters
Iron Maiden - Powerslave, Rime of the Ancient Mariner,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back