EP212 Review - Dirt Cheap, HiFi quality. Better believe it
Nov 2, 2010 at 11:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 31

SilentServices

100+ Head-Fier
First forgive my bad english... i am from Montreal and usually speak french. Hi there to the headfi community! Its good to be back after 5 years of vacation.  I have been pretty busy lately and nothing in my hifi journey was "striking" enough to share with you fine people so i stayed silent ( just like my name suggest ). But lately i stumbled on something quite special, the Energy Sistem E212 earphones (you read that right... they spell system with a i). I didn't know anything from the company, i learned later that it was a spanish company that was producing many other electronic device.  But i will cut the crap and go directly to the subject of interest that are the E212.

The E212 are entirely made of metal. 
The E212 got a textile cord covered with a transparent plastic. 
The E212 got a sturdy well built Y joint. 
The E212 comes with 4 different sized buds.  
The E212 provide excellent in & out noise cancellation 
The E212 sounds really good ( imo better then the Vmoda Vibes, AKG 324 or Panasonic HJE70 ) 
and here for the hard to believe part: 
The E212 are priced around 10-15$ us.

If you haven't leaved yet let me elaborate a little more on the sound of these obscure earphones. First of all i want to point that i wear headphones/earphones for 8 hours a day in average. I had numerous brands over the last 15 years ranging from sonys,koss, grados, akgs, Audio Technicas, panasonics, pioneers, shures and more. I came across excellent cans and earphones during that time but it was always at a cost. Dependability was often the issue since i live in Quebec (Canada) and i used all of my gear (except the ATH-A900) in extreme cold weather. They pretty much all ended broken or with a single channel working. That is why i gave the E212 a try. 

One of my friend that work in a overstock electronic store gave me a sample pair for a test run. First i was really impressed with the look and feel of the earphones. They felt really solid and well built. Then i tried them on with some random materials. Holy crap they sounded really good right off the bat. Good weight, articulated bass with plenty of extension, good natural mids and sparkling highs that really felt like the cherry on the top of a marvellous sundae. To give you an idea of the sound signature of the E212 i will use the V-moda Vibes since they sound alike in many ways. Take the sound of the Vibes, take out a little bit of the bass, give some air to the mids and give more edge to the top end and thats it.  They suit most music styles and can play to good levels before losing composition.

Don't get me wrong, they are far from perfect, they can sound a little aggressive on some track at high volume, the midrange could be even better, the bass could be punchier in the 50-60hz region. But all these little faults are normal even for earphones costing 150-200$.  When my friend told me the price of these...  i was floored. I usually care about the brand names i throw cash in. I feel proud of the brand i put my trust in but after so many costly broken phones... i went the complete opposite route and bought 15 pairs of these. I was expecting them to brake way faster then they did. i am currently on my second pair. My first one lasted 2 years and that mean 2 Quebec winters... with rock solid frozen cords.... Frost---> Defrost--->Frost---> Defrost again and again. Never the sound got better or worst. they just delivered.

Now they seem to be rare finds on the internet.  I saw some for sale for 10$ us on a euro site, but i didn't check for how much they would deliver in the US. Anyway my E212 pair don't show any signs of weakness and 13 other pairs are ready to step into the game.

Nov 2, 2010 at 11:44 PM Post #3 of 31
Sure, i don't see what dose that picture will change but why not. Stay tuned for a picture.  BTW they are not all black, i was forced to pick some blue, bronze and pink ones in the lot. But at that price... my GF is set for years to come.

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:19 AM Post #4 of 31
Silentservices, thanks for the review. 
Seems like a lot of giant killers are being spotted in and around Canada. First the ONN full size headphones and now the e212 iems.
I'll search online if I can find a pair. Which electronic store in Canada stocks them, any idea?

Nov 3, 2010 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 31

It won't change much, but you gotta admit. It'll look cool. The build quality looks AMAZING for something at that price.
Quote:
Sure, i don't see what dose that picture will change but why not. Stay tuned for a picture.  BTW they are not all black, i was forced to pick some blue, bronze and pink ones in the lot. But at that price... my GF is set for years to come.

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 31
Since these are so cheap and i am far from the day that i will use one of my blue pairs i am ready to ship a set to anyone willing to try them. It will be cheap if i just toss them loose in a bubbled paded letter
wink.gif

Nov 3, 2010 at 8:46 AM Post #7 of 31
So, you bought 15 pairs, write a great sounding review then 9 hours later offer to sell them? Nice.

Hey, wanna trade for a JH-3A when they come out?  I mistakenly paid Jerry upfront for 86 of them back in 2003 and am now having to sell a vital organ each week to feed my 12 children. I hear they're really good though, so am willing to do you a special price of $2000 per unit.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 31

That's just plain rude. The guy was kind enough to spread around a great pair of cheap iem's. It'll be pretty hard to get that brand outside canada i feel.
Quote:
So, you bought 15 pairs, write a great sounding review then 9 hours later offer to sell them? Nice.

Hey, wanna trade for a JH-3A when they come out?  I mistakenly paid Jerry upfront for 86 of them back in 2003 and am now having to sell a vital organ each week to feed my 12 children. I hear they're really good though, so am willing to do you a special price of $2000 per unit.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:03 AM Post #9 of 31
 Reeks of dodge city to me, but hey, I'm a cynical bugger. I'm sure he saves drowning kittens and helps old ladies across the road at weekends.

Quote:
That's just plain rude. The guy was kind enough to spread around a great pair of cheap iem's. It'll be pretty hard to get that brand outside canada i feel.

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM Post #10 of 31
In fact i think it they would be easier to get in europe. My friend's store is buying back overstock from many random stores and i never saw these anywhere else in here. I know you can buy them on the energysistem official site but they end up near 50$ for US consumer (still a really good deal if you ask me).

This store is also selling them... but its still a euro based shop: http://tiny.cc/bdppx

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM Post #11 of 31
Damm... been a long time ... i mess up with the quote fonction... now how can i delete this particular post... :p

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:12 AM Post #12 of 31

Quote:
 Reeks of dodge city to me, but hey, I'm a cynical bugger. I'm sure he saves drowning kittens and helps old ladies across the road at weekends.

The people of Dodge City would like to state that they are not affiliated with this thread or any associated reekyness.

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?hl=en&biw=1024&bih=602&q=dodge%20city&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wl

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #13 of 31

Wonder is i can find them in Singapore.. they would make a great backup pair of phones, going by the build quality alone.
Quote:
In fact i think it they would be easier to get in europe. My friend's store is buying back overstock from many random stores and i never saw these anywhere else in here. I know you can buy them on the energysistem official site but they end up near 50$ for US consumer (still a really good deal if you ask me).

This store is also selling them... but its still a euro based shop: http://tiny.cc/bdppx

Nov 3, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #14 of 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennyboy71 

I think you got me all wrong buddy  anyway i can afford buying 15 pairs of sub 10$ earbuds and give away ONE pair for a community that gave me much more over time...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back