EP-630/CX-300 owners? Comfort questions... do I need an IEM?
Jun 25, 2007 at 6:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

trip221

New Head-Fier
I just got the EP-630's before a trip last week. Obviously they blow the ibuds out of the water. I had plenty of time to try out the different size tips and fiddle around to get the best seal. I have smaller than average ears, but the large tips were the easiest to get the best seal - is that weird? And after about an hour, they were kind of uncomfortable. Will my ears get used to it or maybe they just don't fit me right? And this isn't a huge issue, but I found that when I'd move around or turn my head, the cable drag on my clothes would be enough to break the seal or even pull it out of my ear. Am I the only one?

I haven't tried any true IEMs and I'd be curious to know if they are more comfortable or if they ever hurt your ear since you're sticking it in your ear canal. If you can recommend any that are really comfortable with similar sq below $100, that would be awesome!

Thanks

Jun 25, 2007 at 6:35 PM Post #3 of 11
I tried the medium tips for a while. The comfort factor was about the same, but it was more difficult to get a good seal. The small tips wouldn't seal at all, so all I heard was treble. With the large tips I get full sound and great bass. And I need bass! If not, I could just use the ibuds
wink.gif

Jun 25, 2007 at 8:05 PM Post #4 of 11
The silicone sleeves on the Creatives are fairly comfortable for most users ... but I'd say that soft foam sleeves such as Complys and the new black Shure foamies are more comfortable. Westone UM1's come with Comply foams (which need to be replaced periodically, but worth it -- for me, anyway ... I use the short ones), and Etymotics ER6i's can take Comply or Shure foams. Westone might be a shade over your budget, but they're known for being among the most -- if not the most -- comfortable IEMs.

I have the Creatives and the very small ER6i's, and I find that I have no problem listening to the Etys with foam tips on a cross-country plane flight, but that the fairly comfortable Creatives do make my ears a little tired, physically, after a couple of hours.

Of course, the sound on these two IEMs wouldn't be as bassy as the EP630s' sound, if that's an issue for you.

There are IEMs above your price range that offer more bass than the Etys and Westones -- how high would you be willing to go?

Also, maybe just substituting the silicones from the Sony EX51/71 series would work -- I have used those earphones, and their form is about the same as the Creatives but the silicones felt softer to me. And yes, with canal phones using silicone tips, the more you "fill up" the ear with the earphones and tips, the more bass you get.

Jun 25, 2007 at 9:00 PM Post #5 of 11
To be honest, I'd like to keep the price down since I just bought the ipod and already have my HD555's and SR60's at home (my girlfriend's going to kill me if I keep buying more).

I was checking out the UE super.fi 3's on headphone.com and they get good reviews, but it looks like the comfort issue might be the same with them.

Are the EP630's sound considered bassy? It seems to me that if they had less bass, you'd hardly be able to hear any bass guitar? Maybe I'm spoiled with my full-size cans at home. Or maybe I'm just asking too much for the price I'm willing to pay.

Jun 25, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #6 of 11
The Futuresonics Atrios earphones (IEMs, actually) are considered bass-friendly (but the price could be a girlfriend-riler). Also the Mylarone canal phones.

To me, the EP630s are much bassier than the Ety ER6i's (which I like -- they just don't have slammin' bass ... it's more "polite"). Again, fit counts for a lot -- with the right fit, I find the Etys adequate on modern, bass-heavy music, and I find the Creatives much bassier than the Etys ... with the right fit.

Many in-ear earphones are considered a little bass-shy when compared against headphones.

Sources (in order of purchase):
2nd Generation 10GB iPod for Windows (retired)
Creative Muvo 256MB
Creative Muvo 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Carbon 5GB
Cowon iAudio 5 1GB (out on loan)
Rio Karma 20GB (low-mileage collector’s item)
Creative Zen Nano 1GB
Samsung YP-U2 512MB
4th Generation 40GB iPod (monochrome; used as home jukebox)
2nd Generation iPod Nano 4GB
Creative Zen Stone 1GB
iRiver T60 2GB

Jun 26, 2007 at 3:44 AM Post #7 of 11
I also had the same comfort probelsm with the ep630's; my ears would feel fatigued after a little while of listening.

This problem only lasted about 2 weeks, however, and now i can leave them in my ears for a long time without discomfort.

Jun 26, 2007 at 4:05 AM Post #8 of 11
Quote:

Originally Posted by tree444 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I also had the same comfort probelsm with the ep630's; my ears would feel fatigued after a little while of listening.

This problem only lasted about 2 weeks, however, and now i can leave them in my ears for a long time without discomfort.

Ditto.

Jun 26, 2007 at 7:38 PM Post #9 of 11
Good to know. While I like spending money on these things, the full size phones are way more fun!

I haven't tried it yet, but have any of you tried wearing them with the cord up and over your ears to cut down on the microphonics?

ps. The westones do look nice and comfy. I'll keep those in mind for the future when it's time to upgrade.

Jun 26, 2007 at 8:08 PM Post #10 of 11
Also, a tiny "cord clip" such as made and sold by Etymotics can help with microphonics ... I've gotten a couple through Head-Fi sponsors. Or you could improvise something, maybe with a miniature clothes pin.

Jun 27, 2007 at 12:03 PM Post #11 of 11
About the 'cord clip', just get a cheap cellphone's handfree clip..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back