entry to power conditioning?
Apr 14, 2008 at 3:52 PM Post #16 of 22
yea thats the gist of what ive gathered so far. i think ill go without until i move into my new place, and IF i find its an issue then ill look towards something entry level to see if it even makes a difference. out of curiosity, what kind of "symptoms" would i be looking for that would indicate id need a power conditioner. background noise and pops and such? i take it a conditioner just controls surges and instability in the line from getting to your components, so how exactly would that be equated to our ears as a net result? background stuff im guessing?

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:36 PM Post #17 of 22
More than likely, you will not need one, but it will most likely show up as some kind of undesirable noise.

In general, they keep the signal clean, so they typically protect against surges and variation in the line, or interference. The thing is, most equipment needs to convert the signal to DC anyway. So, all the interference and variation should be eliminated entirely by the time the power exits the PSU as DC current.

IMO, you would really need a Bad PSU or really bad main supply to justify buying one of these. In the former case, money is probably better spent fixing the PSU rather than patching it up with a conditioner.

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:42 PM Post #18 of 22
There's always the piece of mind knowing that many of the power conditioners come with a warranty for equipment plugged in and damaged by a surge. :)

Apr 14, 2008 at 4:50 PM Post #19 of 22
Quote:

Originally Posted by VeipaCray /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There's always the piece of mind knowing that many of the power conditioners come with a warranty for equipment plugged in and damaged by a surge. :)

I have never, had any peice of equipment damaged by a surge. I don't even think I know anyone personally that has had a peice of equipment damaged by a power surge. I do, however, use a $20 surge protector.

In most modern contries, the power is very stable and reliable.

Apr 14, 2008 at 7:36 PM Post #20 of 22
To the OP, with most products having a 30 day return policy you can't go wrong. You are never going to change the skeptics but IMHO this is an amazing piece of equipment. I'm AD Navy and move around quite often around the world, in my situation, this is needed but may not fit yours. You guys are right, it is ugly but, given how much custom cases are, electrical cases are easy to get and cheap. besides, you shouldn't see this anyways. I bought the Power Plant Premier today BTW..... 30 day return policy even with a B Stock from Music Direct. Have you thought of getting one on loan from a local audio store or Head-Fier to give it a try? Many stores will let you demo the equipment for the weekend.

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #21 of 22
yep thats a decent idea actually, i might try to do that @ a local place. let me know how the PS power plant premier is though, thing looks complex as hell to use!
tongue.gif
enjoy!

Apr 14, 2008 at 9:54 PM Post #22 of 22
Hello,
I use an old Perma Power Line Conditioner.
I notice that the top and bottom lights are green while the middle light is yellow during the day.
After 12:30am all of the lights are green!
This last until 6am, then the middle light goes back to yellow.
So, I believe that the line conditioner is doing its job.
Just my 2 cents.

46940004smallzu8.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back