Entry-level Toslink DAC?
Apr 22, 2010 at 5:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 27

Bobsama

100+ Head-Fier
Looking to spend <$200. My computer's 3.5mm jack is rather noisy and audible below "3" on my preamp. Two things is it must have Toslink in and RCA line out (preamp outputs need not apply). I guess the third thing is I wouldn't mind if it has a regular 1/4" headphone jack.

I've been looking at the Little Dot DAC_I and DAC_II and have heard some good things about them, but the DAC_I is a touch expensive as a first foray into dedicated DACs and the DAC_II seems to be graced with little more than a CMOY amp for headphones. Frankly, I don't have $300 to spend. Even $200 is a bit of a stretch.

I'm currently leaning closest to saving a bit longer and grabbing a DAC_I; the XLR-output may come in handy when I upgrade my preamp, though right now I am constrained to RCA.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #2 of 27
1) Might be in wrong section, should be in dedicated source components.
2) Unless you listen to DVD-A, HDCD or other high resolution content, consider an older DAC that sells now for 1/5 of it's value and still competes at retail prices (I've snagged my EAD at about 1/4 retail, still beats $1000+ DACs).
3) Most amps in DACs are "little more than a CMOY" and that's not necessarily bad - a decently implemented CMOY with a steady PSU (as it should be within a DAC) is actually quite good, and better than lots of super low-budget standalone amps.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:34 AM Post #3 of 27
Quote:

Originally Posted by FallenAngel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
1) Might be in wrong section, should be in dedicated source components.
2) Unless you listen to DVD-A, HDCD or other high resolution content, consider an older DAC that sells now for 1/5 of it's value and still competes at retail prices (I've snagged my EAD at about 1/4 retail, still beats $1000+ DACs).
3) Most amps in DACs are "little more than a CMOY" and that's not necessarily bad - a decently implemented CMOY with a steady PSU (as it should be within a DAC) is actually quite good, and better than lots of super low-budget standalone amps.

I don't know if I'm in the wrong section. My main source is a PC; I suppose a DAC would change the source. :p
I don't listen to most HD formats. What are decent older DACs? All I NEED is 16/44 but I would much prefer 24/96+.
I've listened a decent bit to a Pro-Ject Head Box II. It's a decent CMOY desk amp but I'd much prefer something a touch more powerful.

Anyhow, what precisely is an EAD?
confused_face(1).gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:39 AM Post #4 of 27
Lots of older DACs pop up on AudioGon and eBay at great prices, just set a budget and start looking. Once you find one, Google the model, read up on it and see if reviews say it's good.

If you don't listen to HD content, why do you "prefer 24/96+"? Sorry, but that's like saying, I have 3 passengers to drive, so I prefer a mini-bus. If you have 16 bits of content, 44,100 times per second, it makes no sense to "prefer" to have a DAC that can support 24 bits of content, 96,000 times per second, you'll still only be sending it 16/44.1.

You really don't meed "more power", just better quality, headphones don't require much power at all. To get better than a CMOY, you generally have to get above $100 and into $200 range, which seems out of your budget at the moment.

The "EAD" is the DAC linked in my signature, stands for Enlightened Audio Designs, model DSP-7000. Retail price for it was $2000, I snagged it for $430 shipped and prefer it to many $1000 "modern" DACs.
wink.gif

Apr 22, 2010 at 8:01 AM Post #5 of 27
I do have some 24/96 content; more or less future proofing. Though I'd prefer a non-oversampling 16/44 DAC to one that oversamples everything

Apr 22, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #7 of 27
Indeed older DACs like EAD, Parasound, Meridian etc are true bargains today and still hold their own against their modern counterparts.
However they are well above the price of cheap-and-cheerful (but not necessarily bad) DACs.

Probably the most basic, but still good sounding, would be SuperDac Pro707 (bit over 100$).
Amongst affordable commercial NOS DAC, Valab gets a lot of attention here and might be worth investigating.

Apr 22, 2010 at 7:11 PM Post #8 of 27
Ok so the EAD seems good and relatively cheap. What models from Parasound, Meridian, &c are such good bargains?

I'm a 19-year-old newbie to the audiophile scene. I started with headphones about 16 months ago (Senn. HD-201's, then Koss PortaPro's, now Senn. HD-555's) and moved more towards loudspeakers about 8 months ago, having purchased two pairs of vintage Polk speakers.

I think I heard something about Crown or uh Behringer that had a decent cheap commercial DAC. I don't remember which or what model(s), but it had only XLR outputs I think.

Apr 23, 2010 at 2:01 AM Post #10 of 27
Either of those Meridian DACs; are either compatible with Toslink? I'm looking at the 563 (couldn't find a 518's backpanel picture) and it looks like S/PDIF Coax (RCA) only. And the Parasound... a quick search says it's a preamp without built-in DAC (I prefer, at least in high-power applications, a single-use device. Cuts back internal noise it seems).

Apr 23, 2010 at 5:49 AM Post #11 of 27
A year or two in the past there was a rash of NOS Entech DACs on the market for <$100. Weird aluminum extrusion for a cover but first-class design and performance for it's time and price (originally $300+). That's the sort of thing I would look for if I were in your position.

Apr 23, 2010 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 27
4 x TDA 1543 chips; error correction? Oversampling? I don't understand that bit of the design. Though I would assume (and perhaps make an ass out of myself) that 4 > 2 and thus your recommendation is better than my idea?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back