Entry Level Head Phones
Apr 23, 2002 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 16

Takalah

New Head-Fier
I am trying to decide on which pair of headphones to buy and wanted to know what would be recommended for around $50. I was able to find the Sony MDR V6 for $60 but wanted to know what other phones are good at this pricepoint and if I should just go ahead and get this pair. The only phones I have really heard are the Koss UR30's and Kenwood KPM 410 that my roommates have.

I want to use them for music primarily (rock and techno mostly, but I listen to all sorts of music now and then) but, I also will use them for gaming as well. THis will all be at my dorm room with a Sound Blaster Audigy 5.1 sound card on my computer.

It would be nice if they kept out otuside noises and made it so others can't hear what I am playing.

I really don't know much about headphones other than what I have gathered from readings reviews on this site and a few others.

Apr 23, 2002 at 3:12 PM Post #3 of 16
At your price point, musical preferences, and wanting isolation from outside noise (meaning that "closed" cans are preferable to "open" cans), the Sony MDR-V6 is the best choice I know.

Grado's SR-60 is without question a great headphone and a terrific value, but it's an open design and will leak sound into the environment around you. At any appreciable volume, the open-backed drivers act like little speakers, so people in your dorm room would definitely hear the music. Another best buy is the Koss KSC-35 earclip-design at $20-30. Same problem as the Grados, though---open cans and sound leakage.

The Sony V6 will be effectively silent---others won't hear your music (and you won't hear what's going on around you in your dorm room, either).

The strengths of the V6 are very sturdy build quality, a nice fold-up design and pleather carrying bag that makes for compact storage, and great bass presence (lots of upper- and mid-bass slam). In addition, the V6 is low-impedance and high-efficiency, thus easily driven by your PC sound card.

Weaknesses include occasionally shrill highs, and an overall sound signature that's somewhat raw and unrefined. The V6 is often described as "analytical" and is rather unforgiving of bad recordings, lousy mixes, and flawed compression technologies. (In fairness, however, it sounds a helluva better with mp3s than most of the crap headphones in its price range from Best Buy or Circuit City, and its continuing use in recording studios as a recording/mixing monitor headphone is almost legendary).

The single-exit cord is a plus, but the fact that the cord is coiled provokes mixed comments. The cup design is circumaural, but the pleather pads aren't big enough to cover most average-sized male ears, so the V6 ends up being more supra-aural and not all that comfy for long listening sessions (there is a modification to cure that using $23 BeyerDynamic DT-250 replacement velour pads---search the forums for "V6 mod" for info).

If you need closed cans and can't afford higher-end, more expensive options (such as the Sennheiser HD280 or various Beyers), the Sony MDR-V6 is extremely hard to beat for sixty bucks.

--Bill

Apr 24, 2002 at 3:44 AM Post #5 of 16
I have the HD497 (actually two, won one pair from Sennheiser but that's another story) and the Sony V6. The V6's are more like having a pair of big speakers strapped to your head. Lots of tight bass, tempered with some shrill highs at times. The Senns are smoother sounding, less bass impact, highs are rolled off at the top so the treble isn't so forceful like the V6's can be.

Main problem for you is the HD497's are open cans, so they will leak quite a bit to those around you. And they don't really isolate you from external sounds like the V6's can.

Others have complained of the HD497 having a grainy sort of sound, something I'm not quite sure what that is supposed to sound like (I'm a novice at this). Another complaint is their fit is tight for some people. I always thought I had a big head, but my HD497's doesn't seem to be the head clamp that others have mentioned. Plus their styling isn't quite for everyone, and their build quality does seem a bit cheap, but they seem durable enough for my uses.

3D positioning in FPS games is a lot better with my V6's than the HD497. Sound directions are more distinct with the V6's. The HD497, like the V6's, can be driven well straight out of the soundcard (I have a Soundblaster Live), but a head-amp does improve their sound.

Overall, I like my HD497's. They're not the best cans, but for the money, they are very good.

If you do decide to buy the HD497, don't judge them straight out of the box. They need at least 40 hours of burn-in time before they start to reveal their true sound. Initially, they'll sound sort of shrill without much bass.

Apr 24, 2002 at 5:35 AM Post #6 of 16
good to hear another opinion about the 497's. i'm looking closely at the 212pros however. i think the closed design is better for a dorm, right?

i also have a soundblaster live card... i'll also be using these in my nomad ii mg mp3 player...

i;ve toiled and toiled and i think i'm set on the 212pro's. any final comments?? they are $39.99 on buy.com now. the 497's are around $45 heh...

let's hear it...

Apr 24, 2002 at 6:12 AM Post #8 of 16
The 212 pros look to me like the best headphones of that type. I recently bought a pair of the Beyerdynamic DT231, which have very similar characteristics. I don't have as much occasion to use them as I do other phones, but I have found that they work extremely well with the (Ensoniq) sound card in my computer. They also work well with portables, but require a good deal of power to sound their best. I would consider these, because if you find them on sale they are competitive pricewise with the 212 pros.

If you get the 212 pros, please post your appraisal of them.

Apr 24, 2002 at 11:50 AM Post #11 of 16
Quote:

Originally posted by deejayshakur
hd 270s'... any comments? i think they're a step below 280s. $66 on buy.com now.

Ha! The HD 270's are a BIG step down from the HD 280's. That model is part of Sennheiser's mostly screwed-up "bionetic" line of headphones introduced in 1999. In the case of the 270's, sound-quality-wise, they aren't worth more than half of that price at buy.com! They sound honky, tinny and harsh all at once.

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:19 AM Post #13 of 16
well i cant compare the v6 and 212pro, but i just went out on a limb to buy the 212s. the v6's didn't really suit my purpose as i wanted them just for casual use, nothing too hardcore. that's also why i didn't chose the 280s... maybe later when i need something better. for now, i just wanted to replace my piece of crap headphones i got for free from some classical music company. =P anything'll be better than those hehe.

*patiently waiting for 212's to arrive.*

Aug 23, 2002 at 10:22 PM Post #15 of 16
well, after 4 months, i have thoroughly enjoyed the 212's.
smily_headphones1.gif

my only complaints:

--build quality is TRULY worse than the higher end sennheiser's. i read about this from these forums and i'd have to agree with it. my friend's 580s (?) are built much better. the silver paint has started to scratch (even though i am VERY meticulous) and they detachable cord makes the connection a bit suspect...

--overall, they put out very good sound on my sony clie, creative nomad ii mg, and creative sound blaster live on my computer. for $50 that i paid, they weren't the best deal, but pretty good still.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back