Entry Level DAC Options
Sep 26, 2011 at 5:05 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

steelle

Head-Fier
Current setup is FLACs off my desktop computer -> Total Airhead -> HD 580's, and feel like it's about time to add in a DAC to the mix. I'm not entirely sure whether it would be better to get a pure DAC or a DAC/AMP, but here are the options I've come up with so far. I'd like to keep it under $200 (cheaper the better, college is expensive as hell these days).  I'm guess I'm really just shooting for the best price/performance possible, but I'm not really sure of what unit comes before you cross into the lands of diminishing returns.

1. Maverick Audio TubeMagic D1 (with the upgraded NOS tube)
2. The Yulong U100 (or The Audinst HUD-MX1, kinda a sidegrade at this tier)
3. Fiio E10

I suppose the type of sound I'm after might be important - natural, clear/clean, good soundstage, warm, and relatively neutral.  I listen to almost all genres (from electronica/house/dubstep to blues/jazz/swing), so nothing that favors a particular type of music.

Sep 26, 2011 at 5:13 AM Post #2 of 10
On the top of my wishlist for the upper range of that pricepoint, is the Audio-GD NFB-12. 

Also, Have you considered the Total BitHead? That has a USB DAC and falls in your price range - it has worked well for me for the past few years. Also, the Hifiman EF2A has a DAC and gets good reviews - mine is in the mail now, so I cannot yet really give it as a recommendation. 

Sep 26, 2011 at 10:52 PM Post #4 of 10
@jageur272
I was considering this Musiland 02, but after looking at some reviews I decided against it.  One particular review was from Mike ad headfonia:
"It’s probably hard to recommend the Musiland 02 just based on the performance of its internal DAC alone. There are simply too many choices out there these days, and personally I’d use the uDAC2 for its compact form factor, or the HRT MS2 for its DAC performance, or the Audinst HUD-MX1 for a good DAC and Amp package."

Also, I like knobs - and the volume control for the Musiland 02 is through software only 
tongue.gif

@liamstrain 
Total Bithead is going to be largely inferior to the E10, so that's not really a viable option.  I will check out the NFB-12 though, seems to be lots a love for that unit on these forums.  Not really interested in the EF2A though.

I suppose the type of sound I'm after might be important - I'm looking for natural, clear/clean, good soundstage, warm, and relatively neutral.  I listen to almost all genres so it needs to be pretty well balanced (electronica/house/dubstep to blues/jazz/swing).

Sep 27, 2011 at 9:21 PM Post #5 of 10
Also does anyone know when the E10 is supposed to be released? I've been trying to track down any information but haven't seen anything yet... (all I've heard is end of september)

Oct 6, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #7 of 10
Get misterX to make you a gamma2 for $300.  My gamma2 is a fantastic, very neutral performer, and I've never heard anyone say anything bad about the gamma2 from a price-performance consideration.

Other options are the headamp pico and the Schiit Bifrost (reviews should be trickling out over the next several weeks).  All of these are $300-350 options before tax and shipping.

I haven't seen reviews for it yet, but the Musical Fidelity V-DAC II should be worth a look, too:
http://www.musicalfidelity.com/products/V-Series/V-DAC/V-DAC.asp

It supposedly corrects the flaws with the original V-DAC.  $350, too: http://www.amazon.com/Musical-Fidelity-V-DAC-II-MKII/dp/B005K8CSZ2

I think any of these are a winner depending on your needs: gamma2, pico, Bifrost, and V-DAC II.

I know these are all a bit above your budget, but I think it's worth it, and these devices all hold resale much better than the Fiio.  I was never impressed with any of the Fiio units.

Oct 6, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #8 of 10
+1 for Audio-GD NFB-12

Great Dual Mono DACs
With a powerful amp

It compete very well with the Fiio E7/E9, which I have
The Audio-GD NFB-12 is $200 plus shipping around $30-$40
So about $240 for the Audio-GD NFB-12

It a great replacement for your Airhead

Oct 8, 2011 at 1:36 AM Post #10 of 10
Something interesting that you might want to consider is the tube dac, the Ubermuzik tiny tube.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back