Entry- level Amp for Shure srh440 and Grado sr80
Jul 9, 2012 at 11:56 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

Xaverian

100+ Head-Fier
Recently, I checked the specifications for my Shure srh440 headphones and realized that they are considerably underpowered by my ipod (old nano). I decided that I'd buy a portable amp for commuting to and from school with my ipod. I usually use the Shures to listen to electronica and the Gados for classical music. Ideally I'm looking for something around the $100 range. (Student budgets do not go well with being an audiophile). Also as a side note, I find that neither of these headphones have a very powerful bass and I would like an amp that could bring that out without sacrificing the mids or highs. I was looking at either the Fiio e11 or a CMOY. Any other suggestions?

This is my first post here guys so please go easy on me, thanks. 

Jul 9, 2012 at 4:42 PM Post #2 of 6
Quote:
Recently, I checked the specifications for my Shure srh440 headphones and realized that they are considerably underpowered by my iPod (old nano). I decided that I'd buy a portable amp for commuting to and from school with my ipod. I usually use the Shures to listen to electronica and the Gados for classical music. Ideally I'm looking for something around the $100 range. (Student budgets do not go well with being an audiophile). Also as a side note, I find that neither of these headphones have a very powerful bass and I would like an amp that could bring that out without sacrificing the mids or highs. I was looking at either the Fiio E11 or a CMOY. Any other suggestions?

This is my first post here guys so please go easy on me, thanks. 

I'm a Fiio E11 fan, but some of those cmoy sell for a really low price.
So chances are the E11 would bring out the best in the Shure SRH440
And get the Fiio L cable, feeds a slightly cleaner signal from an apple product to the Fiio headphone amplifier.

Or just spend the cash ($70-$100) for a used but newer iPod?

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #3 of 6
Thanks for the help, but would switching to a newer ipod actually improve sound quality/ drive the headphones more efficiently? I thought the output on all ipods was standard 60 mW. Or am I missing something?

Jul 9, 2012 at 5:58 PM Post #4 of 6
Quote:
Thanks for the help, but would switching to a newer iPod actually improve sound quality/ drive the headphones more efficiently? I thought the output on all iPods was standard 60 mW. Or am I missing something?

I really know very little about iPods (and never used one), I'm just throwing out ideas.
If a newer iPod can drive the Shure SRH440, then you would not need to carry around a headphone amplifier to.
Go into an Apple store with your headphone any try them on a newer iPod, if the iPod does not cut it, then get the Fiio E11.

Jul 9, 2012 at 6:30 PM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
Ok I think I'm just going to go with the e11 though. It seems like the simplest solution. Thanks for the input.

On eBay, for around $13, for the E11, you can get two spare batteries (BL-5B) and a simple AC battery charger.
Batteries sold eBay. Built, sold & shipped from China, may not hold a charge for as long as they are rated (mA)
But the price is so good there still a good value.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back