Entry level amp and dac for HD600's
Jan 19, 2021 at 5:21 PM Post #16 of 33
chord mojo is old and out of date and not the best price to performance. From my understanding op wants the best bang for buck which is imo is that schiit stack which later on could be upgraded but if endgame is hd600 there's no point spending an additional +500 bucks to maybe have a 10% better sound if that.

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:44 PM Post #17 of 33
chord mojo is old and out of date and not the best price to performance. From my understanding op wants the best bang for buck which is imo is that schiit stack which later on could be upgraded but if endgame is hd600 there's no point spending an additional +500 bucks to maybe have a 10% better sound if that.
Okay, thanks man. So your recommendation as like a TDLR is: Just bite the bullet and buy the schiit magni modi stack?

Jan 19, 2021 at 5:55 PM Post #18 of 33
Yes honestly though I think so the schiit stack is a very popular option and if in time and do feel the need to upgrade selling the stack will not be a problem. Im sure you've seen all the good reviews of both the dac and amp and the hype is there. Also look at what people are selling on here might find a stack for sale in your area at a good price as well. Let me know how it goes

Jan 19, 2021 at 7:31 PM Post #19 of 33
Okay, what recommendations would you have? The main one's I have received is the ifi zendac, fiio k5 pro (I'm aware these won't give the best performance) or a schiit magni modi stack. With a recommendation that I upgrade to something like an asgard 3 amp when I get the money
I think I would go for the Schiit Modi/Magni stack.
But I know little about the other two options, they might be good options, just have no idea on how they compare to the Schiit.

Jan 20, 2021 at 7:14 PM Post #22 of 33
Thank you for all your support and recommendations guys. I'll weigh up my options again, and have a look at my budget again. I may be able to get some very cheap hd600's I have found and use the rest on magni modi stack since I do want to get planars too. The thing that annoys me most is that I have to pay double the price in USD as I would if I lived in America, but I digress. Thank you for the help. If there's anyone else who wants to post and give more recommendations, I would love that :)

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:21 PM Post #23 of 33
We will have to agree to disagree. I own a Modi Multibit and it isn't that good. I am going to give it away soon and upgrade it to either a Bifrost 2 or Gungnir Multibit. If you purchase a Modi, you have to also buy a
What's great about the Mojo is that it is a portable option as well as a desktop and it sounds really good. As I said, get a used one for $300. If you get a modi/magni, that's a pretty low end system and you are tethered to a desktop. If I am going to purchase a stack, I am going to start with a higher end Schiit system like at least a modi multibit. The HD600 easily scales with it.

Jan 20, 2021 at 8:22 PM Post #24 of 33
Thank you for all your support and recommendations guys. I'll weigh up my options again, and have a look at my budget again. I may be able to get some very cheap hd600's I have found and use the rest on magni modi stack since I do want to get planars too. The thing that annoys me most is that I have to pay double the price in USD as I would if I lived in America, but I digress. Thank you for the help. If there's anyone else who wants to post and give more recommendations, I would love that :)
I bought my HD600s for $175 and my Mojo for $300.

Jan 20, 2021 at 10:00 PM Post #25 of 33
Would something like the ifi zendac not give a noticeable improvement enough to get it? My main reasons for not buying big amps and dacs is because they don't seem to make that much difference to me with sound demos etc. Plus, I don't have much space to put a massive stack.
Sound demos? Do you mean going to a place where you can audition them or just some YouTube thing ?

Jan 21, 2021 at 10:09 AM Post #26 of 33
Sound demos? Do you mean going to a place where you can audition them or just some YouTube thing ?
Pretty cringy I know, but a youtube video where they play the original sound, then play the original sound through the headphones and into a mic, before that sound goes to you. I liked the way it changed the music, the way they look and the instrumental separation you get

Jan 27, 2021 at 2:48 PM Post #28 of 33
So, I ended up getting my hd600's for 162 shipping included. I also ended up buying a cheap JDS Labs O2 Amp for 50, it sounds good. When I get more money I will be getting a modi 3+, then asgard 3, then sundara's. Thank you for your help :)

Jan 30, 2021 at 12:54 PM Post #30 of 33
So, I ended up getting my hd600's for 162 shipping included. I also ended up buying a cheap JDS Labs O2 Amp for 50, it sounds good. When I get more money I will be getting a modi 3+, then asgard 3, then sundara's. Thank you for your help :)
Might as well go for the Asgard 3 with the DAC card option if you're planning on running it with the Modi.
The DAC add-on card for the Asgard 3 is more or less a Modi without case. That way you have everything convient in one box, less wires/interconnects to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back