Entry Into Hi-Fi Systems?
Sep 11, 2010 at 3:41 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

NotJohnnyV

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, first time poster longtime lurker.  I've recently purchased a Rega P-1 and now I want to hook it up to a nice set of speakers and a tube amp, but I'm not really sure where to start. Right now I'm going Rega P-1 -> receiver -> speakers.  My budget is about $2000, spread out over the next 6 months.  What do I need to turn my setup into a true hi-fi system? (Pre-amp, etc).

I love all kinds of music, but my vinyl collection centers around original pressings of classic rock (Derek & the Dominoes, Led Zep, the Clash, and much much more).

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:13 PM Post #2 of 7
Congrats on getting into vinyl and upgrading your system.  If you want a tubed power amp, take a look at the old Dynaco ST70 models.  They have a tremendous cult following and the kits are even being reproduced today.  You can get any part one needs or tweak it in hundreds of ways.  The best part is that they're pretty affordable.  You'll see them go around $400-$700, depending on condition, what it comes with, etc.  There is a chance you'll have to replace some of the innards.  Back in the 1960s, the capacitors and resistors weren't anywhere as good as what we have now.

You might also want to look at the older EL34-based Conrad-Johnson amps.  Those are the MV45, MV50, MV52, MV55, and MV60.  I've seen them sell between $500 on the low end and $1,300 or so on the high side.  If I recall, I paid around $700 for a MV52 a few years back.  It's been a great amp so far - no problems whatsoever and it'll run all day without breaking a sweat.  It's not the last word in resolution or speed, but it has a very listenable, pleasing and effortless sound that I've always enjoyed.  Also, these were built in the 80s and 90s, so they have modern caps and resistors inside.  If one does need service, Conrad-Johnson is still around and will repair anything they've ever made.

You'll have a variety of preamps to choose from.  There are matching models from Dynaco and Conrad-Johnson if you want them, but there are many to choose from at all sorts of prices.  I'd look for an older model with a built-in phono preamp.

As for speakers, well, there's a lot out there.  You should pick speakers based on your musical tastes and room size.  You're going to find a huge assortment of speakers out there, and it is also possible to build your own from scratch or kits.  Please let us know what size of room you'll run them in, whether you'd like bookshelves or full-size, whether you'd be open to having dipoles, and anything else that matters to you.

Oct 2, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #4 of 7

Quote:
Congrats on getting into vinyl and upgrading your system.  If you want a tubed power amp, take a look at the old Dynaco ST70 models.  They have a tremendous cult following and the kits are even being reproduced today.  You can get any part one needs or tweak it in hundreds of ways.  The best part is that they're pretty affordable.  You'll see them go around $400-$700, depending on condition, what it comes with, etc.  There is a chance you'll have to replace some of the innards.  Back in the 1960s, the capacitors and resistors weren't anywhere as good as what we have now.

Another good reason to look into the ST70 is this upgrade kit http://www.welbornelabs.com/st70.htm. Instead of upgrading old components piecemeal this kit upgrades the whole circuit. The strong point of the original design was the transformers and they remain. The kit was designed by one of the best designers working today. You could get a working amp and upgrade it later.

Clark

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:17 AM Post #5 of 7
Keep your eyes open or visit Audio-gon for used Tube amps......Are you able to play Lps with your Rega now???  Remember most pre-amps today won't have a phono stage so keep your eyes open for an entry level phono stage...as far as speakers go, Uncle Erik asked about your room size, that's a good starting point in determining what type speaker (stand mounted or small floor standers) that will work best for your musical taste, and budget.  I would get some "bookshelf" monitors.....They'll sound their best on some stands....good luck with your system upgrades and keep looking for garage sales, etc for some great deals on used Vinyl........

Oct 3, 2010 at 12:18 AM Post #6 of 7
What kind of speaker footprint do you want?  Also, what kind of "sound" are you looking for, if any?  Your speaker choice/capability will determine what is suitable as an amp.  For example, a pair of Klipschorns would run fine on a Dynaco ST-70, but my Infinities would go into protection if I tried to use one - even though the speakers are of similar caliber.

Of course, as others have mentioned your room will dictate what is suitable for speakers too.  As long as you have a decently sized living/listening room for them, I am honestly a fan of floorstanders over monitors on stands.  They don't really take up a whole lot more room (if any), and the extra cabinet/driver size does make a difference when it comes to bass.

The disadvantage is usually expense and transportability (weight/size w/out stands).  But hey, I've transported my huge Infinities in the back of my Golf...

Of course, you could always supplement monitors with a subwoofer.  I'm not really a fan when it comes to music though.

Definitely look on Audiogon - and Craigslist.  For speakers, Craigslist is especially good if you live in or near any big city.  You can always drive farther too - I went over 1200 miles for one of my pairs of Infinities...

I'm a big fan of the vintage Infinities, if you couldn't tell...  The EMIT tweeters are insanely good, and are on almost all of their speakers.  They don't generally get along well with (just) tubes though - all the best (and biggest) ones need gobs of power.  One thing some people do is put tubes on top and have a big hulking solid state amp (Krell, McIntosh, etc.) on bottom - I've done similar on a budget with a Carver on top and an Adcom on bottom.

I guess my point is you don't have to limit yourself to just tubes - find a pair of speakers first as they're much harder to find (used, which is the only way to buy IMO) and transport.  The used market for amps is a lot easier to navigate.

Oct 3, 2010 at 8:58 PM Post #7 of 7
Why tube? You could always go with a quality SS set up.
I went tube, but a wise man told me buy the best sounding system you can
afford, and not get hung up on if it was tube or not. Also, there are some great
integrated amps out there.
Here in Dallas, there's a great set of speakers up on Craigslist every couple of
days. I saw Hales yesterday.  There's always dealer trade ins. That's where
both my Audio Reseach amp and Proac speakers came from.
I prefer floorstanders, since they are more stable than bookshelves with stands.
And that way you don't have to drop extra on the stands. How about a set of Rega
R5's? Add a nice Rega , Arcam, or other quality integrated and you have a nice
system. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back