Entry dac: Esoteric D7 / Ayre QB-9 / Weiss 202 / Antelope's Zodiac Gold+Voltikus / other
Nov 14, 2011 at 2:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

carm

100+ Head-Fier
Hi Guys,

I was wondering maybe some you have heard one or even all of them and could share your opinion: maybe they are just overpriced and I should look into something cheaper that could somewhat be in the same league as those entry DACs ?

Thanks  
beerchug.gif

Nov 14, 2011 at 6:03 PM Post #2 of 8
I like my Calyx DAC, it compares pretty well to a Classé CP-800 when powered by USB, should be even better if you hook it up to a proper power supply.

Nov 14, 2011 at 7:05 PM Post #3 of 8
Considering others:
Maybe have a look at Empirical Audio's reclockers.
Though the Overdrive might be even pricier than all others but also playing in another class.

Nov 15, 2011 at 2:53 AM Post #4 of 8
agentsim, Calyx had brought my attention, since there are quite a few threads in computeraudiophile.com . I was quite shocked 
when member was raving about it and how it bests QB-9 (http://goo.gl/gR4Fq). I will have it in my "to look into" list. Thanks 
wink.gif

baldux, to be honest, there is hifi shop which had offered 40% discount, therefore prices of Esoteric D7 / Ayre QB-9 / Weiss 202 are quite acceptable. I've noticed that Overdrive have a fan, well that is a bummer...

Nov 15, 2011 at 10:24 AM Post #5 of 8

Quote:
agentsim, Calyx had brought my attention, since there are quite a few threads in computeraudiophile.com . I was quite shocked 
when member was raving about it and how it bests QB-9 (http://goo.gl/gR4Fq). I will have it in my "to look into" list. Thanks 
wink.gif

baldux, to be honest, there is hifi shop which had offered 40% discount, therefore prices of Esoteric D7 / Ayre QB-9 / Weiss 202 are quite acceptable. I've noticed that Overdrive have a fan, well that is a bummer...

-40% for some of most popular DACs?!
You must start a trade over internet! 
biggrin.gif

Or buy a Weiss202 and send it to me at least.
cool.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 4:42 PM Post #6 of 8
I will look into it 
biggrin.gif

FIY
If we apply current exchange rate and discount, thats what we will get:

Esoteric D7 - 2880 USD
Ayre QB-9 - 2400 USD
DAC202 - 4300 USD

No discount for Zodiac, its from other reseller.

Quote:
-40% for some of most popular DACs?!
You must start a trade over internet! 
biggrin.gif

Or buy a Weiss202 and send it to me at least.
cool.gif

Nov 15, 2011 at 8:30 PM Post #7 of 8
Fwiw, I'd recommend an audition of the D07 before going that direction:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Esoteric-D-07-DAC-Review

Wow, 40% off?  I may have bought a DAC202 instead of my Alpha if I knew about that
wink.gif
  Do $5k+ DACs usually have a dealer discount?

Btw, I find it interesting that Empirical gets so much praise by people who have never listened to it before.  People I've corresponded with who do listen to gear have all told me that the Empirical did not really wow them.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't remarkable either.

Nov 15, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #8 of 8
I've read D07 review... A big whoops goes to Esoteric. The problem is, that at the moment I do not have dedicated headphone amp, which I would be familiar with for D07 audition...

CA have some great reviews. Thanks, Elysian!

Well, company is going out of business, it needs to get rid of stuff, so why not to use this opportunity to acquire a nice DAC 
etysmile.gif

Quote:
Fwiw, I'd recommend an audition of the D07 before going that direction:
http://www.computeraudiophile.com/content/Esoteric-D-07-DAC-Review

Wow, 40% off?  I may have bought a DAC202 instead of my Alpha if I knew about that
wink.gif
  Do $5k+ DACs usually have a dealer discount?

Btw, I find it interesting that Empirical gets so much praise by people who have never listened to it before.  People I've corresponded with who do listen to gear have all told me that the Empirical did not really wow them.  It wasn't bad, but it wasn't remarkable either.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back