enough rumors! panasonic audiophile pcdp??
Mar 28, 2002 at 10:16 PM Post #16 of 30
When I was at CES in Las Vegas I took pics of all the cool stuff at the Panasonic displays and posted them.No,I didn't see or take any pics of the "audiophile PDCP".I was told by a very nice Panasonic rep that this player was on the horizon.He also told me that the CT790(which I took a pic of and posted) would be introduced to the USA which to my knowledge has not happened yet.He said that this player would have higher bit and sampling rates and a new non-compression type anti-skip software.The fact that the CT790 was on display here in the states is pretty solid proof that it will in fact be introduced here.I know nothing else about the "audiophile pcdp" except what I was told.I don't think he would lie about it and I was there and took pics of all the stuff I thought was important and I sure as hell have no reason to lie to you.I have been getting junk emails from Panasonic north america every since I went to the show,almost every single one mentions new,unnamed products yet to be released.I don't read every one of them but they come daily.I have no doubts about the introduction of the ct790 but I'm unsure of the other player.Please keep your pants on.

Mar 28, 2002 at 11:01 PM Post #17 of 30
thanks tuberoller. at the moment i am satisfied with my mz-r50-cha47 combo, but i will keep my eyes peeled for that panny.

Mar 28, 2002 at 11:20 PM Post #18 of 30
The only way that it could be 'audiophile' grade, were to be if Panasonic threw out all of the old tricks of the trade regarding battery life, and lack of power through the headphone out...

At the end of the day, no matter how good, or bad your PCDP the line outs all sound pretty much the same in 'portable' environments, so - what'd be the difference?

Saying that - I was half tempted to pick up a Panasonic portable DVD player - not one with a screen though - just the player... I'd have thought that they'd try to cram some extra good gizmos in there - to be a top flight, top cost player?!

Mar 29, 2002 at 1:44 AM Post #19 of 30
I'd be pretty happy if they just made a top quality line out in the audiophile player.

Quote:

At the end of the day, no matter how good, or bad your PCDP the line outs all sound pretty much the same in 'portable' environments, so - what'd be the difference?

Where's the point in that? That would be an argument against the whole idea of an audiophile PCDP... a good line out would sound better in a good listening environment, e.g. moving around at home right?

HiBy Stay updated on HiBy at their facebook, website or email (icons below). Stay updated on HiBy at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/hibycom https://store.hiby.com/ service@hiby.com
Mar 31, 2002 at 2:34 AM Post #21 of 30
Well the new ct790 in the states does not even have a lineout (I emailed panasonic). Do the international versions?

Big Poppa.

Mar 31, 2002 at 6:36 AM Post #22 of 30
I really don't think that this 'mythical' CDP will ever arise.... Think about it - the last PCDP that could be even partially classed as audio grade was manufactured in 1998 - some four years ago... if there was a market for these things, don't you think more manufacturers would jump on the bandwagon? - and even if the rumours have some backing... would Panasonic really go backwards in terms of components (bearing in mind that most 4+ year old PCDPs sound better than their modern counterparts)... I don't think so?!

Apr 6, 2002 at 9:36 AM Post #23 of 30
Hi there, just to share this with you guys..
I saw this in Singapore!
I went to get my Sony 888s just now, and I saw the player in the showcase.

I enquired about the prices, and the person told me that it is selling for S$240...
I don't know if I heard that correctly, but that's real cheap!

He said that this was with local warranty too.. but it's a little strange, as Panasonic Singapore didn't even announce the arrival of this player!
Thinking of selling my 780 to get this

Apr 6, 2002 at 4:30 PM Post #24 of 30
Guy the 790 is out in the U.S. and it has no line out. I would hold on to your 780 if I were you, the 790 is definetly not for audiophiles, I think you are confused...

Big Poppa.

Apr 7, 2002 at 12:47 AM Post #25 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by NotoriousBIG_PJ
Guy the 790 is out in the U.S. and it has no line out. I would hold on to your 780 if I were you, the 790 is definetly not for audiophiles, I think you are confused...

Big Poppa.

Really?
I thought the Asian versions had line out though..
Just like the differences between the 780 Asian and US set.
And someone said in the forum that 790 had a loss-less compression and stuff..

Apr 7, 2002 at 3:49 AM Post #26 of 30
The 780 has loss less 10 sec protection if you use the lineout...
I'm just saying, save your money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Apr 7, 2002 at 10:04 AM Post #27 of 30
Quote:

The 780 has loss less 10 sec protection if you use the lineout...
I'm just saying, save your money.
smily_headphones1.gif

Biggie.

Oh i see...
I get it now.
Thanks anyway.

Apr 24, 2002 at 3:40 AM Post #28 of 30
Quote:

Big Poppa.

The 790 does have a line out. I have one sitting right next to me playing music through a line out at this moment. The line out also doubles as an optical out as well.

Edit: Ignore me =) Didn't realize that pana released a U.S. version and it's what you were all talking about. I have a 790 that was imported about half a year ago.

Apr 25, 2002 at 5:50 PM Post #29 of 30
Quote:

Originally posted by KR...
I have given up on portables, I think I am better off listening to my home rig.

I too would prefer listening at home but I think I am away as much as I am there. Airports, hotels, reading by the pool in the afternoon are all better with decent equipment. I listened to CDs and MP3s through my laptop for a long time. I now travel with the TAH and a Panasonic CT570. Next on the list is a pair of Etys for the isolation from noise.

John

Apr 25, 2002 at 6:15 PM Post #30 of 30
I just opened some emails from Panasonic .No specific mention is made of the"audiophile"Pcdp but they mention six new pdcp models(no numbers were mentioned specifically).These intros should take place in the next month or so.One of the players is being marketed a bit different than the others in the line.usually the US distributor of Panasonic will only allow sales of pcdps if that same dealer sells other Panasonic gear(tvs,vcrs).The top of the line player is being distributed to audio dealers and smaller mail order operations.One email says" New High-Line player available in select distribution".Some of these emails are worded like they are direct translations from Japanese with no correction of errors or spelling.We'll see if these pan out.(pun intended)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back