Enhancing Music without drugs.
Jun 30, 2009 at 10:37 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 45

CDBacklash

1000+ Head-Fier
Curious if anyone has secrets to try and make themselves dial into music without abusing a substance.
For me it all starts with closing my eyes and laying down. For me this has the most impact on soundstage (and I can vividly bounce around inside my head where each note is going).
Being tired is another step I can take to experience music in a different way. It starts being "sound" instead of "notes". My brain no longer keeps up with the music and it washes over me. Things feel faster than they are, and it makes the illusion of 'magic' i associated with music as a child.

What do you do?

Jun 30, 2009 at 10:45 PM Post #2 of 45
^ Definitely agree with your description of listening to music when you're tired.

I've really been enjoying G-Force visualizer with my tunes. Very relaxing. Takes away the tendancy to want to analyze the sound. Really tracks the music well.

I also enjoy walking and listening to music. I find I really get "in the zone" this way.

And of course, just laying back, eyes closed, floating away with the music!

Jun 30, 2009 at 11:06 PM Post #3 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by Joelby /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ Definitely agree with your description of listening to music when you're tired.

I've really been enjoying G-Force visualizer with my tunes. Very relaxing. Takes away the tendancy to want to analyze the sound. Really tracks the music well.

I also enjoy walking and listening to music. I find I really get "in the zone" this way.

And of course, just laying back, eyes closed, floating away with the music!

can't agree more. i always knew that music sounds better when you are tired but i couldnt tell exactly why, you put it just right.

the same story when the eyes are closed...your body is focusing most of his energy on the music.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:12 AM Post #4 of 45
If you know how to meditate, you can meditate on the music.

Some forms of meditation are simply a way of emptying your brain. If you clear your thoughts then only the music is left.

Jul 1, 2009 at 12:13 AM Post #5 of 45
do you ever listen to music in complete darkness?
even more imersive than just closing eyes. Darkness so complete that you can't tell if eyes are open or closed.

first, do this at night
need thick curtains which extend past borders of windows to keep any small night time lights from outside entering

cover any lights from CD player/amp/computers.
cover under your door too depending on where you live

complete darkness+K1000 slightly louder than normal listening levels
such good
I'm sure you can find suitable music to add to this equation
smily_headphones1.gif

happy listening

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:09 AM Post #6 of 45
Alcohol isn't a drug, right?
wink.gif

The reason being tired helps is because you stop trying to analyze the music, gear, etc. and get pulled into the music.

If you've never tried meditation, give it a go. There are numerous books and you can also find community classes and the like where you can learn. meditation is not necessarily a religious practice, so it can be compatible with your belief system.

If you learn to clear and settle your mind, you can get the same results as you do when tired.

Jul 1, 2009 at 2:24 AM Post #8 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by CDBacklash /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Curious if anyone has secrets to try and make themselves dial into music without abusing a substance.
For me it all starts with closing my eyes and laying down. For me this has the most impact on soundstage (and I can vividly bounce around inside my head where each note is going).
Being tired is another step I can take to experience music in a different way. It starts being "sound" instead of "notes". My brain no longer keeps up with the music and it washes over me. Things feel faster than they are, and it makes the illusion of 'magic' i associated with music as a child.

What do you do?

Probably the obvious answer but how about a killer pair of headphones?

Assuming you already have a pair, try hopping into the bath with a bottle of red wine and some Pink Floyd.

Works every time.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:11 AM Post #9 of 45
You could try Tyrosine(a nonessential amino acid) which is converted into dopamine and norepinephrine. Supplementation with tyrosine can lead to alertness and mental arousal. Use 3~4 grams on an empty stomach.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:37 AM Post #11 of 45
Just removed a number of drug references...don't do that here folks.

Jul 1, 2009 at 3:46 AM Post #12 of 45
to the original poster: couldn't have said it better myself.

i mainly listen to an entire album each night before bed, and it starts becoming sound rather than structured notes. preferring electronic music, i start going into some sort of trance and it is unmatched by anything. i would rather lose my sight than my ability to hear.

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:15 AM Post #13 of 45
if you consider white noise to be music, here you go:

1. choose room with decent light and no extraneous noise
2. employ white noise (white noise machine or cd; radio static; etc.)
3. cut ping pong ball in half
4. tape the halved ping pong balls onto eyes
5. wait for mind to fill in the spaces (mind needs to sense, so it invents sensations when there are none)

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:21 AM Post #14 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by elrod-tom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just removed a number of drug references...don't do that here folks.

Sorry!
redface.gif

Jul 1, 2009 at 5:42 AM Post #15 of 45
Quote:

Originally Posted by kwitel /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Probably the obvious answer but how about a killer pair of headphones?

Assuming you already have a pair, try hopping into the bath with a bottle of red wine and some Pink Floyd.

Works every time.

you listen to headphones in the bath?
confused.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back