Enhanced Berning MicroZOTL
Dec 31, 2004 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Mark54

New Head-Fier
For anyone that likes this little gem, acouple of years ago I came across a spectacular leap in performance with the micro by changing the a.c. cord to a Shunyata tiapan cord. I purchased the Berning amp along with a pair of Sennheiser HD600s three years ago .This came about out of a compromise between my wife and my need for very late evening listening sessions once in a while.At first I was not too thrilled with this compromise , I had no idea what was available along with comfort using headphones and any sonic virtues going to this set up .Mr Berning has been around for a long time designing amps and preamps, with that in mind ,I chose the micro. For under a grand, I was set.While ordering the micro ,I asked David about tube rolling, as I have a collection of various n.o.s. tubes. Take note, do not use any 6sn7s with plate voltages under 300 , you could have a flaming Berning on your hands.That means no 1940s vintage 6sn7s. E-mail or phone David about this,you are in danger. Getting back to this Shunyata a.c. cord in the micro.A couple of years ago, I bought two of their Hydra power conditioners along with afew a.c. cords ,two of them being tiapan models. One night I swapped a.c. cords in the micro,to my complete surprise ,that change to the tiapan cord has staggering benefits.You have not heard all what this amp can do.I have to cut this short ,I hope someone here will check this out, you will not believe it. Please note ,I cannot tell you if the new models of the Shunyata tiapan a.c. cords will have the same effect. The ones I have are the original models from 2003.By for now

Dec 31, 2004 at 10:07 PM Post #2 of 5
??

I DID speak to David Berning about NOS tubes, several years ago. He indicated that vintage 6SN7GT's might not last as long, but did not say there was any risk in using them. If there is, it's a serious problem. Those were the only tubes that got the ZOTL to sing.

Jan 2, 2005 at 6:29 AM Post #4 of 5
The voltage rating of the 6SN7GT is 300 volts, while the GTA and GTB are rated at 450 volts. However, the current capability also figures into the equation. If the current is low amperage, the tubes can take well over their rated voltage safely.

Jan 2, 2005 at 4:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirsch
??

I DID speak to David Berning about NOS tubes, several years ago. He indicated that vintage 6SN7GT's might not last as long, but did not say there was any risk in using them. If there is, it's a serious problem. Those were the only tubes that got the ZOTL to sing.

Hmm, which 6SN7GT's are the only ones to make microZOTL to sing?

I have some really nice GT's, but in my applications, there are plenty of VT231 types that will sound as good/better IME..

As far as power cords, well it's no surprise a great power cord will make a difference. It almost always does, and even something like Bryston electronic crossover reacts HUGELY to a good power cord (after IEC mod). Nothing against Shunyata, but I'm sure there are other cords that will do just as good or better, some maybe even DIY
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back