ENERGY SISTEM E212 - Giveaway
Nov 18, 2010 at 2:38 PM Post #91 of 98
Let them burn-in before a real in-depth review :wink: glad you got them in one piece :p

Oh and nice picture btw :wink:

Nov 18, 2010 at 4:47 PM Post #92 of 98
First impressions:
To get right to the conclusion: the overall sound and build quality feels like it's worth more than the asking price of $10. I own a lot of cheap Chinese IEMs as well (the Kanen brand, bought them for fun, tried to find a gem, didn't succeed) and the E212 blows them away on every front. I ran into some trouble when opening the package though. Read on!

There were seven tips in the package! So 3,5 pair. And all of them were slightly different and one of them was ripped. Probably because of the journey it took from Canada to The Netherlands. I felt pretty beat up as well when I returned from my holiday to Vancouver. :) The only matching pair was on the headphones. Since I couldn't get a seal with those I needed to improvise. No worries since I own a huge amount of tips from different manufacturers. When I removed the stock tips I noticed the filters were made from a very thin layer of cottonwool. I gently tapped it to secure it on the nozzle but it stuck to my fingers and when I released my finger I ripped the entire filter/cottonwool from the nozzle. So there is no real filter, just a small fuzzy ball of cottonwool in the nozzle. I removed the filter from the other nozzle and replaced them with the spare filters from my RE0. They fit! So, the E212 are filtered once more. 

After replacing the stock tips with some comfy medium-sized, single flange Fischer Audio black olives I stuck 'em straight in my Clip+ and listened to some 320kbps Machine Head's "Davidian", Aphex Twin's "Vordhosbn" and some Muse "Undisclosed Desires" for variety. Please note that I never got the chance to listen to the E212 in it's stock form. All my impressions are with FA flanges and Hifiman filters. 

I instantly noticed the midrange. It's pronounced and emphasized and makes the guitars pop out to the front. The treble is sharp but not very detailed making the overal sound slightly nasal and fatiguing. The bassquantity is there. It's fun, boomy and supports the midrange pretty well. It's a bit of a "one-note" bass though. It hits loud and deep but there is little diversity or pronunciation. Soundstage is about average. It's all very much "in-your-head" and instrument separation is hindered by the muddy bass. This is probably because they need a little burn in but hey, this is just a first impression, straight out of the box. Oh did I mention these are only $10!? I'm looking forward to how these will behave after a 48 hour burn-in and will review and photograph them in the next couple of days. 

Nov 18, 2010 at 9:56 PM Post #93 of 98
SilentServices sent these to me after I won them in his contest. My detailed review and comparison to the PL-30, M6, and UM3x is here:

http://www.head-fi.org/products/energy-sistem-ep212-in-ear-monitor-earphones/reviews#4420

After some long burn-in, my impressions are a bit different than Negakinu above. I am impressed by these little guys for the money also. Everything improved from the soundstage to the the clarity. A bunch of pics are included.

Nov 19, 2010 at 3:20 AM Post #94 of 98
It seems we agree on the bass, build quality and bang for your buck. The differences may be because mine haven't burned in yet. Great review by the way! 

Oh btw, I agree these deserve more attention than they're getting. You could consider informing Joker about these. His multiple IEM shootout monster thread is responsible for every hype out there. :) 

Nov 24, 2010 at 1:31 PM Post #96 of 98

Quote:
My girlfriend borrowed them to see how a non-head-fi'er would react to their sq. :) Review coming up!

Cool :) and BTW Joker will also be reviewing them in the next weeks/months :wink:

Nov 24, 2010 at 7:03 PM Post #98 of 98

Quote:
I would like to review these please!

My generosity is still there but i am kinda short on blue energy's (i keep the brown and black for me) Sorry :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back