Energy Loudspeakers RC-10 need amp?
Jan 14, 2010 at 7:02 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Ghigguls

100+ Head-Fier
I'm about to buy these speakers from amazon and i was just wondering if it would need an amp of some sort. I dont think its powered or anything, so if someone could shed some light on this please? Plenny mahaloz
tongue_smile.gif

*also could i play my ipod through this thing? this would be my first audiophile speakers and im getting excited.

Jan 14, 2010 at 8:25 AM Post #2 of 8
If they aren't active (or powered) speakers, then you will need an amp to power them.

The least expensive way to do this is with a used receiver. You can find them all over - garage sales, thrift stores, junk shops, Craigslist, and you
or a friend or relative might have an old one they can give you.

If you want to take a more audiophile approach, you can buy a preamp and an amp for them. You can also buy an integrated amp which has an amp and a preamp together in one box.

A receiver is an integrated amp that usually has a radio tuner and often a phono preamp in it, too.

Yes, you can use your iPod with a setup like this. You will want a LOD to RCA cable or a 1/8" jack connected to RCA jacks. Apple makes a small dock that you can put on top of the amp that you can connect a 1/8" jack to, as well. You can also use any of a number of iPod to stereo docks on the market or even hook a Squeezebox or similar to your computer to stream music. There are a lot of options here.

Good luck and let us know how your adventure in speaker-fi turns out.
smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 15, 2010 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 8
you can also use a cheap t-amp as well since they are so efficient.

Jan 18, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #6 of 8
hmm well i bought one from ebay that works and sounds really nice with my rc-10s. there are a lot of fairly priced t-amps on ebay.. but coming from china (most of them) it does take a while.. i think mine took about 3 weeks to get here

Jan 19, 2010 at 12:32 AM Post #7 of 8
I've owned RC-10s before and they are definitely not as efficient as the specs claim them to be. I would recommend no less than 50 clean watts of power. I used them with a on 100 watt integrated and they sounded great.

Jan 19, 2010 at 3:27 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by MatsudaMan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned RC-10s before and they are definitely not as efficient as the specs claim them to be. I would recommend no less than 50 clean watts of power. I used them with a on 100 watt integrated and they sounded great.

idk.. i mean I use them with a simple t-amp (with TA2024 chip) with 15 watts output and they sound really great!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back