'Endngame' recommendation and hiccup.
Dec 7, 2020 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

asif13666

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone, so I have recently came across 2 good endgame deals in the city I am at right now.

1. Sennheiser HD800S + HDV 820 for a combined total of around $2000

2. Hifiman Arya( $1200) and icon audio hp8 MK2( $800).

Now the first person is not willing to sell me the HD800s separately and wants to only give away both headphone and amp together. Which kind of puts my plans in the works as I would have liked to upgrade to a HD800s( I already have HD800 but which I might give to my sister soon) along with the HP8 tube amp.

Now the second person has no issues selling me individually and also I have heard great things about the Arya and some reviews even putting it over the HD800s in terms of certain sound characteristics. I haven't listened to the Arya but might get a chance to test it out before committing. But I am not sure if I should go with the HP8 amp or get a cheaper solid state like a THX one.

TL:DR- help me decide if I should go with the Arya alone and paid it with a SS/HP8 tube or get the sennheiser headphone/amp combo?

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:39 PM Post #2 of 6
I would save yourself some headaches and money...go with the cheaper setup or just the Arya itself and get yourself separate amp/DAC components if you need to upgrade that side of your audio setup. Planars deliver more bass, more realistic cymbals and chimes, and I the Arya-style headphone more comfortable than the HD800. I mean if you need to color the sound with a tube amp why not just get the correct sound signature from a headphone from the start?

Dec 7, 2020 at 5:42 PM Post #3 of 6
I would save yourself some headaches and money...go with the cheaper setup or just the Arya itself and get yourself separate amp/DAC components if you need to upgrade that side of your audio setup. Planars deliver more bass, more realistic cymbals and chimes, and I the Arya-style headphone more comfortable than the HD800. I mean if you need to color the sound with a tube amp why not just get the correct sound signature from a headphone from the start?
Thanks a lot. Do you have any recommendations regarding which amps I should look for? Would a cheaper THX like SP200 suffice with the Arya?

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:00 PM Post #4 of 6
I don't like the feel of the SP200's volume and the gain is a no go for sensitive IEM's. I also had issues with noise using the SP200 so I simply would avoid that amp. I own 2 THX AAA 789 amps and love them. They are great because they are dead quiet, built very well, don't run hot, have balanced and single ended outputs, and 3 gain settings. Hard to beat that for sure! You won't be disappointed in that setup.

Dec 8, 2020 at 6:07 PM Post #5 of 6
If you want to save yourself a headache, don't buy an Arya. At 3.31 pounds, it would make my head hurt every time I put it on.

Dec 11, 2020 at 9:05 PM Post #6 of 6
Personally I consider the Arya far superior in sound quality. So I'd definitely get that one (imo best headphone sub 2k€)

I don't know the amp, so can't advice for or against it, however with 800 budget you should be able to find something that makes the Arya sing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back